Washington Redtails.....Discuss

kmccarthy27

Buttfudge, Kentucky

I went there thinking they were famous for their fudge. Then I found out they were only renowned for having an above-average Monte Cristo sandwich. I felt so ripped off!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably one of the dumbest ideas I think I've ever heard. So, we trade a controversial nickname for one that's arguably just as racist? It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Plus, the name "Redtails" would only work in Alabama, since they were from Tuskegee, and not the greater DC metro area.

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

This is probably one of the dumbest ideas I think I've ever heard. So, we trade a controversial nickname for one that's arguably just as racist? It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Plus, the name "Redtails" would only work in Alabama, since they were from Tuskegee, and not the greater DC metro area.

While "Redtails" probably won't work due to the Alamaba connection how is it just as racist as "Redskins"?

While "Redtails" probably won't work due to the Alamaba connection how is it just as racist as "Redskins"?

Maybe because it was only black airmen were considered the Redtails, in a time of segregation. All in all, doesn't the country have bigger fish to fry than worry about sports team nicknames?

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

I know that the last time we went around on this, someone said this, but it bears repeating;

If you don't think "Redskins" is an insult, next time the local tribes in your area are gathering for a Pow Wow, attend it yourself, listen to some music, watch the dancing... then walk up to a group of young men and say, "What's up, Redskins?" After your severe beating has ended, your perspective might be different.

I know that the last time we went around on this, someone said this, but it bears repeating;

If you don't think "Redskins" is an insult, next time the local tribes in your area are gathering for a Pow Wow, attend it yourself, listen to some music, watch the dancing... then walk up to a group of young men and say, "What's up, Redskins?" After your severe beating has ended, your perspective might be different.

I never said that "redskins" wasn't racist. Plus, why would I ever go to a pow wow if I'm not an indian?

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

Hey, I'm fine with name change but how about something better than red tails! Its just not aggressive enuff for a football team how about the Reds, Americas, or something to do with Americas history.

also, I do believe that people need to grow some thicker skin though, I've been called stuff like Ginger, carrot top, fire crotch, Giant Leprechaun(I'm 6'6") for a good since I started highschool four years ago, yeah it was offensive but if let it get to you that's when they get what they want, if you take it and even embrace it stops and even stops felling offensive.

lalakers_sig.png

Hey, I'm fine with name change but how about something better than red tails! Its just not aggressive enuff for a football team how about the Reds, Americas, or something to do with Americas history.

Um. Do you know the history of the Tuskegee Airmen?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Maybe because it was only black airmen were considered the Redtails, in a time of segregation.

While that is true I think their success managed to turn the phrase into one of pride. I wouldn't have a problem with an Alabama-based team using the "Redtails" name.

All in all, doesn't the country have bigger fish to fry than worry about sports team nicknames?

I never understood this argument. The way it's worded makes it sound like this going before the President and that he personally has to take time out of his day to make a decision on the matter.

The fact of the matter is that "the country" as it where is quite capable of handling multiple issues at once.

Um. Do you know the history of the Tuskegee Airmen?

They were African America air squad that fought during the second world war. It would work better in Alabama and should be in Alabama when they get a team.

lalakers_sig.png

Well, hey, at least the kid apologized for it.

It's real easy, kiddos:

REDSKINS is racist.

NATIVE AMERICANS is not.

INDIANS is racist.

NATIVE AMERICANS is not.

DRUNKEN MICKS is racist.

FIGHTING IRISH is not.

That is an opinion only...some people feel that the name Rednecks or Hillbillies is racist, but do you see actually Rednecks and Hillbillies complaining about it? No, you don't because they love who they are and they don't feel the need to whine and cry about it. The name Redskins to me is a way of honoring the past Native Americans aka Indians like Cleveland calls them.

a redneck and hillbilly is not a race it is a lifestyle. offensive or not dont confuse calling an entire race a derogetory name the same as calling someone a hill billy. Useing the name redskins is like calling a team the wetbacks/ :censored:s etc. its not right no matter how many people wnat to say "its the pc police"

excuse my language but I felt it was needed to make my point

I will have to disagree because some use the term for people in the rural South.

I have seen it used many times here in TN where it is used as a slur not somebodies way of life just because they were born in the south.

photo-thumb-48159.png

Hellslayer 2000.

And so I'm a Brony want want a cookie.

I find it funny that your try to make me react poorly and look like a hippacrit. I like what I like call me what just gonna ignore it most of the time or humor my self by finding a way to send back in your face. Now can get back on subject.

lalakers_sig.png

photo-thumb-48159.png

Hellslayer 2000.

And so I'm a Brony want want a cookie.

I find it funny that your try to make me react poorly and look like a hippacrit. I like what I like call me what just gonna ignore it most of the time or humor my self by finding a way to send back in your face. Now can get back on subject.

Ok, I misinterpreted that sorry but yeah I wouldnt name something pony related because the Colts and Broncos are already.

lalakers_sig.png

Having a team named the Redskins is like having a team named the N*ggers. If it had been Indians, that would be one thing. But something this derogatory should never have lasted this long.

That being said, I would much rather have them be called the Pigskins than the Redtails. But that's probably because I love quirky names in general.

Speaking of pigs, why not name them the Hogs? Or the Washington Razorbacks? I know that's ripping of Arkansas, but damn that has a nice ring to it.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Maybe because it was only black airmen were considered the Redtails, in a time of segregation. All in all, doesn't the country have bigger fish to fry than worry about sports team nicknames?

Yes. Such as the plague of grown men wearing jerseys.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived