Washington Redtails.....Discuss

kmccarthy27

Maybe because it was only black airmen were considered the Redtails, in a time of segregation. All in all, doesn't the country have bigger fish to fry than worry about sports team nicknames?

Tuskegee-Airmen-in-flight.jpg

That was the nickname of the unit because the tails of their aircraft were painted red. The nickname applied to the people in the unit because they were in the unit, not because they were black.

"Redtails" doesn't work for the team because simply having an aircraft at the Smithsonian is a tenuous link at best. We could also call them the "Whistler's Mothers" or the "T-Rex Skeletons" or the "Constitutions" by that logic. It belongs in Alabama, or better yet, the Air Force.

2551826490_c13a53699e_z.jpg?zz=1

Shame it's a training unit and not a fighter squadron though...

Only other thing I'll say is that this and the Brewers BiG logo should be in the "Rite of Spring" thread, instead of hockey playoffs; they're more of an annual tradition around here than anything else. Maybe we can start a Redskins/Brewers logo/Quebec Nordiques/anti-adidas mega-thread to contain all the stuff that gets brought up here with predictable regularity. I'll try and think of a few more topics.

Grunge-Logos.png

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that the last time we went around on this, someone said this, but it bears repeating;

If you don't think "Redskins" is an insult, next time the local tribes in your area are gathering for a Pow Wow, attend it yourself, listen to some music, watch the dancing... then walk up to a group of young men and say, "What's up, Redskins?" After your severe beating has ended, your perspective might be different.

Well, would you go up to a group of black guys and say "What's up, Negroes?"

If not, why do we still refer to early 20th century black baseball as the Negro leagues?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

These stupid arguments never change, and neither does the Redskins name...

...sooooo, let's all stop it and laugh at the Jaguars helmets, k?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I prefer Redskins. I hope that never goes away. It may have been a negative word for those that are either no longer alive or on their way out, but today's generation doesn't see the word used in that view. To today's society, it is nothing more than a team name with a massive fan base. I wish we could just move on.

"Can we stop talking about this?"

No, we cannot. No one got anywhere by simply accepting the status quo and ignoring the fact that there might be something wrong in the world. This is not a matter of growing thicker skin, but matter of correcting a derogatory term that has run its course in the nation's capital.

"We have bigger things to worry about than a nickname"

Then suit up and get to lobbying chief because last I recalled, social reform isn't exactly perfected overnight. In the meantime, there are issues we can change as fans of the league we support.

"The only people offended are PC liberal whites"

Stop generalizing. There is an ample amount of Native Americans who do not support the name and I think we're all aware of that. I'm neither white nor a liberal but I fully understand how the Redskins name might offend some people.

Just some responses to idiotic things I hear

Midway.png

I think it should be up to Redskins fans. If they want a name change (not sure why they would), then go ahead and change it. If they don't, it seems silly to me to change it for people that in the end don't care about the team.

The Washington Redskins will change the team name in my lifetime. I have no doubt about it.

Red Tails doesn't sound very "tough" for a new team name in the NFL and everybody in ESPN will simply call them to the 'Tails after a year, or so, which would sound silly. I loathe the use of the "Nats".

It doesn't matter if a majority of Native Americans find Redskins inoffensive, it does matter if some do find it offensive.

Don't worry, if people still wish to mutter offensive slurs in the name of freedom, they will still be able to after the Redskins change their name.

Alabama already has to pro football teams, the Crimson Tide and the Tigers/War Eagles. :suspect:

savedpictures013-1.jpg

I think it should be up to Redskins fans. If they want a name change (not sure why they would), then go ahead and change it. If they don't, it seems silly to me to change it for people that in the end don't care about the team.

That would be a great poll.

Question: Would like your local NFL franchise to continue using a racist nickname that offends many Native Americans?

savedpictures013-1.jpg

If not, why do we still refer to early 20th century black baseball as the Negro leagues?

Combined cultural osmosis/convenient shorthand and the fact that word was on the corporate letterhead for them. Also they've been defunct for decades, which does make a difference.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I prefer Redskins. I hope that never goes away. It may have been a negative word for those that are either no longer alive or on their way out, but today's generation doesn't see the word used in that view. To today's society, it is nothing more than a team name with a massive fan base. I wish we could just move on.

We would if George Preston Marshall wasn't a :censored: ing racist pig and didn't deliberately select the most racist moniker for his team that he could think of.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

photo-thumb-48159.png

Hellslayer 2000.

And so I'm a Brony want want a cookie.

I find it funny that your try to make me react poorly and look like a hippacrit. I like what I like call me what just gonna ignore it most of the time or humor my self by finding a way to send back in your face. Now can get back on subject.

I have not said a thing about you.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just put a picture of a potato with an R carved into it on the helmet and leave the team name the same. Problem solved.

And of any city that should not use the name "Redtails", I would say it is Washington. I know what the Redtails are, but in the context of Washington it sounds like something the Republican senators do to their young, supple male interns. If it isn't in Urban dictionary yet, it soon will be.

Just put a picture of a potato with an R carved into it on the helmet and leave the team name the same. Problem solved.

And of any city that should not use the name "Redtails", I would say it is Washington. I know what the Redtails are, but in the context of Washington it sounds like something the Republican senators do to their young, supple male interns. If it isn't in Urban dictionary yet, it soon will be.

All the while, railing against gay marrage, right?

We would if George Preston Marshall wasn't a :censored: ing racist pig and didn't deliberately select the most racist moniker for his team that he could think of.

While Marshall was a massively racist pig, saying he chose Redskins simply because it was the most racist name he could think of is rather silly. They started as the Braves because they shared a stadium with baseball's Boston Braves. When they moved in with the Boston Red Sox they couldn't be the Braves any more, but still wanted Native American imagery, thus Redskins. They didn't think about whether or not it was racist, it was just another term for Native Americans to them.

As for changing the name, the easiest solution is to go back to the spear helmet, drop an official nickname entirely, and just be known as Washington (Washington Football or something as far as trademarking). Fans can still call them the 'Skins, but the team makes no money from a derogatory term.

spacer.png

All the while, railing against gay marrage, right?

They doth protest too much, methinks.
galaxy.png

Archived