SEC - ESPN Network - Where Champions are Born!

nuordr

Today the South Eastern Conference and ESPN announced that on August 14th, 2014 the SEC Network launches. This is a 20 year deal includes a new television network and digital platform that will show SEC sports 24/7, including more than 1,000 events in the first year. Included in the programming will be 45 football games, more than 100 men's and more than 60 women's basketball games, 75 baseball games and selected events from the other 17 SEC sports. The network will also feature studio shows and coverage of special events such as signing day and football pro days.

Check out more at the links below:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9235260/sec-espn-announce-sec-network-2014

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/244762/sec-and-espn-announce-new-tv-network.aspx

spacer.png

As if SEC fans weren't insufferable enough already.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That 20 year contract is going to be an albatross around the neck of either the SEC or ESPN. Not sure which, but somebody's going to be lawyering up to get out of it in 5 years max.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That 20 year contract is going to be an albatross around the neck of either the SEC or ESPN. Not sure which, but somebody's going to be lawyering up to get out of it in 5 years max.

I was thinking the same thing...I could understand if it was a 10 year deal, but a lot can change in 20 years.

spacer.png

And the obnoxiously rich become obnoxiously richer.

On the other hand, I'm glad AT&T gets first dibs on it (U-Verse user here...)

To piggyback on the thoughts of 'rams80', cable/satellite lose 1 million subscribers every year and there is the category of ZeroTV now.

Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Mississippi are the poorest states in the union, so the burden of a cable bill plus the digital bill (cell phone) is going to be burdened by the poorest who may have to make choices to see the four months of football. This has to be backloaded for digital rights which ESPN took from XO since the cable network is seven years behind the Big Ten.

What business plan which is already seven years behind your colleagues can really succeed? The SEC must have "something else".

Plus, there still is the issue of the fact that the labor will have to be paid sooner than later.

As if I needed another reason to avoid Espen.

Other than errant pucks?

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

If they want to air their own network, that's fine with me. If they want to believe they are the best conference in the FBS, that's fine with me.

I just wish they could prove it in a playoff that involves all 11 conferences. The drubbing that Alabama laid on Notre Dame was pretty telling that they were better than the best Independent, but it didn't tell me anything about how the SEC would really match up against, say, Boise State or TCU.

I'd pick all 11 conference champs and an independent.

If they want to air their own network, that's fine with me. If they want to believe they are the best conference in the FBS, that's fine with me.

I just wish they could prove it in a playoff that involves all 11 conferences. The drubbing that Alabama laid on Notre Dame was pretty telling that they were better than the best Independent, but it didn't tell me anything about how the SEC would really match up against, say, Boise State or TCU.

Me too. As glorious as I find SEC football to be, I would like to see more variety. Has nothing to do with the screwups my Dawgs have had in recent years (although 2012 was awesome and that game was better than any other championship game of that season IMO) I just dislike repetition. I want to see other teams. Show me someone who can standup and break out against the Alabama's & Oregon's.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Me too. As glorious as I find SEC football to be, I would like to see more variety. Has nothing to do with the screwups my Dawgs have had in recent years (although 2012 was awesome and that game was better than any other championship game of that season IMO) I just dislike repetition. I want to see other teams. Show me someone who can standup and break out against the Alabama's & Oregon's.

I am so looking forward to the network as it is hard for me to see a lot of college baseball and I am expecting for them to show a lot of those games.

spacer.png

Plus, there still is the issue of the fact that the labor will have to be paid sooner than later.

The SEC Network already plans to pay all its cameramen, producers, and sales reps in "college educations."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The SEC already has a network. It's called ESPN.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

And the obnoxiously rich become obnoxiously richer.

On the other hand, I'm glad AT&T gets first dibs on it (U-Verse user here...)

To piggyback on the thoughts of 'rams80', cable/satellite lose 1 million subscribers every year and there is the category of ZeroTV now.

Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Mississippi are the poorest states in the union, so the burden of a cable bill plus the digital bill (cell phone) is going to be burdened by the poorest who may have to make choices to see the four months of football. This has to be backloaded for digital rights which ESPN took from XO since the cable network is seven years behind the Big Ten.

What business plan which is already seven years behind your colleagues can really succeed? The SEC must have "something else".

Not to mention the whole irony that college students are the least likely to have cable in the first place...

GR30a5H.png

Doesn't CBS still have the rights to marquee SEC football games for quite some time? And doesn't SEC basketball kinda blow? So what exactly does this SEC channel intend to air? hours and hours of good old boys sitting at a country club, debating the relative merits of police brutality? It'd be like The Sportswriters on TV, except everyone is wearing seersucker and drinking mint juleps.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived