Minnesota Vikings concepts

oldschoolvikings

Since the Vikings just released their new uniform, I thought it was a chance for to put out a few concepts I’ve had for a while, and maybe something new. I guess for comparisons sake, and to see what any of you think. Let me know… any thoughts are appreciated.

First, here is a concept I’ve had going, more or less as is with a few tweaks here and there, for the past 5 years or so. The uniform the Vikings debuted in ’06 lost any appeal for me in a hurry, and a return to basics was what I was hoping for. I started working on concepts based off the 60’s uniform… northwestern stripping, gray mask, purple road pants. The uniform below is what I’d been hoping to see when this year’s change was announced. In my version, they’d keep the ’06 – ’12 helmet, , as the new horn has grown on me, just swapping a gray mask for the purple one . The jerseys would be the 60’s jerseys, pretty much straight up, adapted to a modern template. The only new additions would be the wordmark and the logo above the NOB… I’ve always liked the logo and am interested in seeing it remain somewhere on the uniform.

The main difference between the 60’s uniform and my concept is with the pants stripe. I reversed the colors, and reduced the gold to a thin outline, so that the pants stripes would read, more or less, like the jersey numbers which would keep some consistency in the color patterning.

Anyway, here it is… now that the Vikings have actually gotten a new uniform this feels vaguely obsolete to me, although I’m not sure why.

VIKENEW2_zps8d543f34.png

Next, here is the new uniform with a few tweaks. I’m not entirely sold yet on the black facemask, but I’m going to reserve judgment until I see it on the field, so for now, it isn’t a part of this tweak. The font is getting cleaned up. I don’t think the new interlocking font is quite the nightmare some of you do, but it is just a little too… I don’t know, too clever for its own good. It just isn’t necessary. My thought is to convert both numerals to the right numeral version for simplicities sake. Other than that, the home jersey is unaltered. The road jersey is getting a change to the sleeve stripes. I don’t understand why they don’t match the pants stripe… seems so obvious. Lastly, the purple pants will look like garbage paired with the purple socks, so a white pair is essential. It’s also another way to link up the stripe patterns.

AJUNK_zps88184fb5.png

Finally, here is my idea for a new Vikings’ throwback uniform. This is the uniform of the Duluth Eskimos, adapted to a modern template. There is actually a small ownership connection between the Eskimos and the Vikings… this is from the Wikipedia page, talking about the owner of the Eskimos…

“…When Haugsrud, the Eskimos then-owner did this, part of the deal gave him first rights for any future NFL team in Minnesota. He passed on buying a stake in the Minneapolis Red Jackets in 1929. However, when the NFL voted to expand in 1960 to the Twin Cities, Haugsrud was able to buy 10% of the Minnesota Vikings (90% of the team was owned by an ownership group that had originally planned to launch a separate team in the American Football League).” This is my excuse for claiming the Vikings could claim this as a throwback, however the NFL may disagree. At any rate, I had fun making it.

Let me know what you think about any of these.

ajunk2_zpscda1fc9c.png

With the exception of the gray facemask (I know, I know) that first one is sexy.

Who knows, the second one may come true one day. Those goofy numbers are going to become dated in a hurry but the rest of the design may be well-enough liked.

Eskimos: Cool, but for ONE TIME ONLY

4th one: Nice enough. But take these pants and match them with the first one (and a purple facemask) and you have achieved near perfection.

EDIT: "4th one" was scouserduke's...did not even realize it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

[snip]

My bad, didn't read through thoroughly enough. Won't happen again.

No problem. You should start a new thread for it. It got snipped before I saw it, and I'm interested.

Up Now... "This is for you, OSV - My Vikes Concept"

Next, here is the new uniform with a few tweaks. I’m not entirely sold yet on the black facemask, but I’m going to reserve judgment until I see it on the field, so for now, it isn’t a part of this tweak. The font is getting cleaned up. I don’t think the new interlocking font is quite the nightmare some of you do, but it is just a little too… I don’t know, too clever for its own good. It just isn’t necessary. My thought is to convert both numerals to the right numeral version for simplicities sake. Other than that, the home jersey is unaltered. The road jersey is getting a change to the sleeve stripes. I don’t understand why they don’t match the pants stripe… seems so obvious. Lastly, the purple pants will look like garbage paired with the purple socks, so a white pair is essential. It’s also another way to link up the stripe patterns.

AJUNK_zps88184fb5.png

Nearly perfect. Only thing I would tweak is to put matching stripes on the purple socks, as I think it would look good and add even more color/visual interest.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

[snip]

My bad, didn't read through thoroughly enough. Won't happen again.

No problem. You should start a new thread for it. It got snipped before I saw it, and I'm interested.

It's no worries; I see you're new to the boards and probably didn't know that. If you're interested in sharing a concept of yours in someone else's thread, ask if they mind first. Many won't, but some would prefer you didn't.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

AJUNK_zps88184fb5.png

Nearly perfect. Only thing I would tweak is to put matching stripes on the purple socks, as I think it would look good and add even more color/visual interest.

Hmm. Well, I'm not sure I want to go to full stripes on the purple socks, but maybe just a gold stripe that matches the one on the white socks. It is kinda nice to get a little more gold somewhere on the uniform. With that in mind, I can also resurrect an old idea by going gold on the NOB. This was an idea I had when one of the teasers for the new uniform showed the plain gold wordmark... that the NOB could match the wordmark, and, for that matter, stay gold on the road jersey, with a purple stroke to set it off from the white.

So... here's a tweak on my first tweak...

AJUNK_zps589229e2.png

Archived