Washington Redtails-Secondary Logo pg. 3

mcrosby

I fell in love with the Redtails name when I first stumbled upon it here on the boards, and finally got some time to sit down and sketch something out.

I began by drawing a P-51C, the plane used by the Tuskegee Airmen. I had a bit of a brain wave (that I'm actually quite proud of) and added the Redskin's spear into the shape of the plane. Once colored I hope this is even more obvious. You'll notice the DC on the side of the plane, I put this in there because i had to have been nearly 12 years old before I realized the Washington Redskins team was based in DC (I'm somewhat ashamed).

I toyed with a roundel, and will likely include that as an alt logo, but chances are just the plane will be on the helmets.

I haven't uploaded a sketch in a long long long time, and I quite like this one and would love to have you all help make it a completed concept. I'll be working on this based on your comments, so the more the merrier.

RedtailsScan_zps5fa0590e.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I would make the exhaust pipes more defined. Right now it looks like its missing. Other than that, its well done. Great start. after you have the logo finished, are you going to do a whole uniform concept?

Oh, just noticed the spear. I like it.

Your perspective is off. The spear is at a different angle than the plane, making it feel disjointed.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Agreed about the angle/perspective. Something isn't quite right. I'm imaging the spear and the plane forming an X if viewed from above, with the spear pointing left of the nose of the plane.

I'm guessing you're going for motion with the prop. However, I'm seeing a swastika.

It's where I sit.

I love the idea.

One issue i have is the spear head is making the nose of the plane to angled. The line going through it is causing that, and it gives the top of the nose a very flat look. IMO that's what is throwing the the prospective off. The under belly is too rounded as well.

Hope that helps.

Mike

It looks like the spear is making the front of the plane angled down too far. I think it would look better if you brought the wings and the rest of the front up. And I'd try to blend the spear in even more with the nose of the plane. Right now it still looks like a completely different element. And I'd lose the motion lines on the propeller. I think it definitely looks too much like a swastika. I really like it so far though, especially the original sketch on paper.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Why is there additional fuselage below the spear? It seems like the belly wouldn't be so thick if that were adjusted.

I'm guessing you're going for a thicker plane to be more historically accurate. I'm not sure if that works for this logo.

It's where I sit.

Took a break from the logo, sometimes that's what works best. So until tomorrow here is my first uniform concept. The basis, obviously, is the Redskins throwback. The logo is featured on the sleeves. I absolutely loved the 'leather' helmet and have been considering using it since starting this concept. I gave it a bit of a modern twist and was able to work red into the helmet that way as well.

REMEMBER, this is just the first draft.

Picture25_zps16e91961.png

Ditto the above.

It's a great idea, but a tough one to pull off...rendering a logo to make it look like it's on the side of a specific plane.

You don't actually see each individual propeller blade when a plane's in flight, so why not try the outline of an oval to render the blades (with the back of the oval disappearing behind the nose).

It's coming along nicely.

I think the wings look a little off. Like they curve upwards slightly.

I also think that where the starboard (right) wing meets the fuselage, the perspective is thrown off a little. It makes either the underneath look a little fat, for use of a better word, or that the wings flow out of the fuselage like so:

220px-Vulcan.delta.arp.jpg

(obviously this is a lot more extreme case, as an example)

I do think that by using a different shade for the leading edge of the wing like in your original sketch you may be able to fix this.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Took a break from the logo, sometimes that's what works best. So until tomorrow here is my first uniform concept. The basis, obviously, is the Redskins throwback. The logo is featured on the sleeves. I absolutely loved the 'leather' helmet and have been considering using it since starting this concept. I gave it a bit of a modern twist and was able to work red into the helmet that way as well.

REMEMBER, this is just the first draft.

Picture25_zps16e91961.png

This concept looks awesome, and I think Washington should use these jerseys full time anyway. The trouble still remains that "Redtails" makes little sense unless you move the team to Birmingham. The evolution of the old spear logo into the airplane's lines is phenomenal though.

mainescarf.png

Archived