MLB teams that need new unis.

daveindc

Royals- could use another alt with some gold added to it this time.

Rangers- red cap thrown together with the home whites don't match.

White Sox- adding a little red might work.

Pirates- embrace more gold. Gold caps w/ black brim looks great.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the tweaks that can be done to improve the Marlins current look... I think they they could well do with a mulligan on their current jerseys. Putting that aside, I think the Padres have a terrible look. Dull, colorless... and then the horrendous camoflagued alts.

I think that the Angels are probably the most deserving of a redesign in the AL. The look is far too monochromatic for my taste.

I just pulled up all the team's current sets on Dressed To The Nines, and it wouldn't bother me to see most of them stand pat. I believe that MLB uniforms are the best they have been since the early 1970s, and in some ways, the best they have ever been.

The 70s and 80s brought us gaudiness (Astros, Padres, Pirates, White Sox, Indians, Athletics), pullover jerseys, and elastic waistbands, and thank goodness those days are gone. The 90s and 00s brought us black for black's sake and vests, and thank goodness those days are gone.

The Blue Jays, Orioles, Mets, Reds, Astros, and others have cleaned up messes, gotten rid of the black, and/or returned to more traditional logos and looks. Sure every team isn't perfect and some need tweeks, and some of the redesigns didn't go as well as some of us had hoped (Astros, Marlins), but other than the Marlins, just about every team looks as good as or better than they have in years or even decades. I know some want the Brewers to go back to the BiG, but for pure aesthetics, the current ones are better.

All that being said, there are some teams that could probably benefit from an overhaul. I've already mentioned the Marlins, who should have kept the font they had, changed the "F" to an "M" on the cap logo, and changed the colors to the aqua and orange of the Dolphins. Another might be the Rockies, whose look has gotten kinda stale and never excited me much in the first place. And I would add the Padres, who really need to follow the Astros lead and go back to their traditional colors of brown and yellow (no orange).

My number one remains the Brewers. Go retro, start anew, either way it's time for a new look.

I've always wanted the Brewers to go with a green and metallic gold color scheme. Just seems more "beer-like" for lack of a better word.

***SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT***

iw6UD.png

Interesting idea.

Can't do it, though; blue has been a signature color of Milwaukee baseball at least as far back as 1913. True Blue Brew Crew and all that.

My number one remains the Brewers. Go retro, start anew, either way it's time for a new look.

I've always wanted the Brewers to go with a green and metallic gold color scheme. Just seems more "beer-like" for lack of a better word.

iw6UD.png

Interesting idea.

Can't do it, though; blue has been a signature color of Milwaukee baseball at least as far back as 1913. True Blue Brew Crew and all that.

The Brewers have only been around since 1970, with different shades of blue. I'd rather they keep blue (navy as opposed to powder) than lose it, but the reasoning that blue has been a Milwaukee baseball color is weak because the Brewers shouldn't pretend to be part of something they're not.

Most definitely:

San Diego Padres. Like others have said before, the navy is too lifeless and bland. Since when did the Padres settle for a Dodgers Jr. look? Apparently, it's ownership commemorating the military...but isn't that what the camo alts (the only memorable thing from this set) are for? I'd prefer the Padres to try Brown/Orange/Light Blue (and/or) than wear Brown/Yellow-gold (probably an unpopular opinion here--light blue isn't a bad idea with those colors, either), but one way or another, the Padres need to wear brown once again.

Probably:

Milwaukee Brewers. Going Green/Metallic Gold like Lights Out has shown is definitely out-of-the-box and refreshing (the hats even call back to the Seattle Pilots!), but there's a concept that swaps out the metallic gold for athletic gold (while keeping navy) in the Concepts board that is a pleasant surprise. It would liven up the look and be a (partial) return to the Brewer's classic colors. Whatever the case, the Brewers would be well-served to liven up their jerseys.

Tweaks:

Miami Marlins. I'm as surprised as you are about putting the Fish here, but the Marlins have quite a few things going for them in their set--too bad there's not enough coordination between the elements of their set. First off, they need to bring teal back. The black and red-orange can stay (and I like them as well), but I really wish that Miami would their lighish blue with their original, bright teal. Second off, wear your colors! It's surprisingly smart that, if your main color is black, you wear one of the most colorful, garish logos to stand out against it--I'll give them credit for that. That said, if you're going to represent the colorful, Art-Deco side of Miami, wear the teal (in my scenario) and red-orange more. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if the Marlins did some mix-and matching with their uniform. One consolation for them, if they don't bring back teal in some capacity, is to make a full light blue road uniform. Oh yea, and whatever you do, Marlins, drop your yellow.

Houston Astros. Yes, they made a step in the right direction by going back to navy and orange and yes, they at least don't have a massive identity crisis (space-themed name with olde west colors/theme), but Houston's set leaves plenty to desire. I never thought I'd ever advocate bringing back anything that reminds the casual fan of the Rainbow Guts this side of an alternate, but I'm again pleasently surprised by their Rainbow Armpit BP/alts, as well as their BP hats--maybe it has something to do with just about every Space Shuttle patch having plenty of navy, orange, red, and yellow. I'd make some red and yellow in said rainbow part of the entire color scheme, model the Astros' set after the "Shooting Star" (or something along those lines--make it look somewhat futuristic), and use those colors in the star's streak. I might even use a subdued Rainbow Gut alternate and/or use gradients somewhere in the set.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

iw6UD.png

Interesting idea.

The Brewers have only been around since 1970, with different shades of blue. I'd rather they keep blue (navy as opposed to powder) than lose it, but the reasoning that blue has been a Milwaukee baseball color is weak because the Brewers shouldn't pretend to be part of something they're not.

The MILWAUKEE Brewers shouldn't pretend to be a part of MILWAUKEE baseball history? That's even weaker my friend. 43 years is more than enough time to cement their place in that history, all of which has seen them in a shade of blue.

iw6UD.png

Interesting idea.

The MILWAUKEE Brewers shouldn't pretend to be a part of MILWAUKEE baseball history? That's even weaker my friend. 43 years is more than enough time to cement their place in that history, all of which has seen them in a shade of blue.

No, they shouldn't use a color based on the reasoning that someone else used it in the same city.

iw6UD.png

Interesting idea.

No, they shouldn't use a color based on the reasoning that someone else used it in the same city.

They've used it for their entire team history. Who cares if they started because of a previous team in the city. We don't know that they did. When they were the Seattle Pilots, they used royal and gold, as they did when they moved to Milwaukee. If for some reason Milwaukee prides itself on their baseball teams having a shade of blue as it's primary color, then so be it.

iw6UD.png

Interesting idea.

They've used it for their entire team history. Who cares if they started because of a previous team in the city. We don't know that they did. When they were the Seattle Pilots, they used royal and gold, as they did when they moved to Milwaukee. If for some reason Milwaukee prides itself on their baseball teams having a shade of blue as it's primary color, then so be it.

I don't care if they use blue, I said the reasoning for using it, if it even is their reasoning, is or would be weak.

Archived