MLB teams that need new unis.

daveindc

The navy/sky/sand color palette was really good for the Padres, they just never applied it properly. The home cap with the white SD was redundant, they kept futzing with the underline on the home script, the bowtie road script was goofy, the road tan was too tan and should've just been a slightly yellowish grey, aaaand they wore the navy/khaki combo way too much and always just looked like dads hangin' out on the weekend. Done properly, that redesign could have been one of their best, but alas.

I'm not over the moon about a brown/gold uniform, but it would be better than what they're doing now. What isn't?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Padres use the right shades of brown and yellow, it might be ok. I don't like the idea too much, but I'm open minded.

The brown and yellow WS era colors were awful.

Detroit needs an alternate maybe anorange or a cream colored one with blue and orange Detroit script or maybe a blue uni.

The Tigers have always bugged me in that their homes are SO traditional and historic and their roads are so...80s. In isolation, I love their road uniforms, because I love color in baseball uniforms. Furthermore, there's plenty of drab navy and gray in the league already. But there's too much contrast of styles between their two sets. Given their history, I'd be against the Tigers wearing alts.

The navy/sky/sand color palette was really good for the Padres, they just never applied it properly. The home cap with the white SD was redundant, they kept futzing with the underline on the home script, the bowtie road script was goofy, the road tan was too tan and should've just been a slightly yellowish grey, aaaand they wore the navy/khaki combo way too much and always just looked like dads hangin' out on the weekend. Done properly, that redesign could have been one of their best, but alas.

I'm not over the moon about a brown/gold uniform, but it would be better than what they're doing now. What isn't?

Admiral, what the heck's the deal with those words beneath your avatar?

Detroit needs an alternate maybe anorange or a cream colored one with blue and orange Detroit script or maybe a blue uni.

The Tigers have always bugged me in that their homes are SO traditional and historic and their roads are so...80s. In isolation, I love their road uniforms, because I love color in baseball uniforms. Furthermore, there's plenty of drab navy and gray in the league already. But there's too much contrast of styles between their two sets. Given their history, I'd be against the Tigers wearing alts.

I'm not sure how uniforms from the 90s that are based on a design dating to 1930 are reminiscent of the 80s, but whatever. All the Tigers need to do is lose the white outline and the front numbers, and I think they'd be set. As for an alt, I could live with a color-swapped navy jersey paired with a white crowned hat, similar to their 1905-06 aways. Absolutely no orange alt though; the Tigers should always be primarily navy.

Rays: Replace navy with green.

Diamondbacks: Those wordmarks are awful.

Rockies: They're just so... forgettable. Embrace purple, overhaul logos, and drop the pinstripes.

Brewers: Replace gold with athletic gold, and new number typeface.

Padres: Brown and athletic gold.

spacer.png

I am on board with most of you in that I feel the Padres need a change probably more than anyone. They don't have the worst uniforms in MLB, but they are the team most lacking in a notable identity. They are one of MLB's more overlooked teams, wearing a very forgettable (and oft-use color) uniform. Additionally, thy mess with their color scheme every so often. Aside from the constant "SD" on the cap, they are the Vancouver Canucks of MLB. They were, and should have remained, the "brown team" of MLB. Now they should go back to that, sending a message that "we have chosen an identity and this is it." Where I diverge from most, is I strongly feel brown and orange is the way to go. I think it looks a lot better than the yellow and will not wear out its welcome they way brown/yellow will.

Others:

• Rangers. Overdone. They need something toned down
  • Diamondbacks. "D-Backs" has to go
  • Rockies. I don't think they need an overhaul, but I am sick of the "CR" (it should just be a C)
  • Brewers. I hate the little underline on the wordmark and the wheat underline on the hat. They had such a nice look, but I know they won't be going back to it...I'd rather see a more standard blue and yellow (like in the 80s), but there is definitely room for some green.

And as much as I prefer the Orioles with "standing bird" over "happy bird" it's their second year and it's not time for new uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I mean, when it comes to major league baseball, are "new uniforms" really necessary? I mean, baseball uniforms are simplistic and have minimal differences when it comes to the stripes/piping. Therefore, new uniforms would basically consist of putting 3 stripes going down the pants instead of 1 or moving the piping from around the neckline to around the base of the collar and down the front.

Don't you think a better topic would be "What MLB Teams Needs Rebrand/Pallet Swap?"

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Basically everybody except NYY, BOS, NYM, CHC, and LAD.

Ahem. Not to be a homer, but the Cardinals, who have one of if not the best uniforms in all of baseball, aren't exempt?

Not to mention the Blue Jays and Athletics Most people would argue that those are three of, if not the three best sets in the majors.

For teams who need new looks, the Yankees desperately need to get new roads, along the lines of this:

yankees-1912-cap-298x300.png

Add piping and use the current "NY" monogram. Their current ones are terrible. I fully acknowledge that they never will, though.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Padres - #1 without a doubt. Brown and yellow is original and would be their own MLB identity.

Rockies - Keep the colors, but a complete revamped look is long overdue.

Marlins - Just small changes such as the fish design.

Brewers - Should focus more on the beer-colored yellow with green being their secondary color and blue being a third accent color for purely historical purposes.

Ahem. Not to be a homer, but the Cardinals, who have one of if not the best uniforms in all of baseball, aren't exempt?

Not to mention the Blue Jays and Athletics Most people would argue that those are three of, if not the three best sets in the majors.

For teams who need new looks, the Yankees desperately need to get new roads, along the lines of this:

Add piping and use the current "NY" monogram. Their current ones are terrible. I fully acknowledge that they never will, though.

I would love for that to be a road alt, if anything.

Arizona has a great (and now unique) colour scheme, but the new fonts and wordmarks just don't work.

Cincinnati needs to drop the black and faux olde tyme font.

Milwaukee needs to do...something. I like the idea of a royal and athletic gold colour scheme, but I do not care for the ball and glove logo. I just know that their current look is just bland and dated.

San Diego is just drab. What they have is just so....empty.

Tampa Bay needs to go with something a bit more out there. They're a new team. They play in a state known for bright colours. They don't need to go super traditional.

Everyone else is more or less fine. A few teams could use a tweak here or there, but the above teams are the ones who need the most work, in my opinion.

Tampa never should've went away from what they had previously...not only was that one of the most distinctive MLB (!) identities, it was one of the most distinctive in all of the American major pro four period.

That's just my two tarnished copper coins, anyway.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

things you never hear in the football threads, for $500

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived