2013 CHL Finals and Memorial Cup Thread

Now that the finals are well underway (and have been for a couple of days now), I thought that I would get this thread started for talk of anything related to the finals of any of the 3 leagues and the memorial cup. So far, Halifax is up on Baie-Comeau 2-0 with Game 3 on Tuesday, London and Barrie are tied 1-1 with Game 3 in Barrie tonight, and Portland and Edmonton is also tied at 1-1 with Game 3 Tuesday. Of course, the only team with a spot in the Memorial Cup is Saskatoon as the hosts (swept in the 1st round by Medicine Hat). The earliest another team can clinch a spot in the tournament is Halifax on Wednesday if they are able to win the next 2 games in Baie-Comeau.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The automatic berth for the host team is one of those weird little things that gives me trouble with the Memorial Cup. What if a team is just crap on a stick, but plays in a town big enough to accommodate the tournament? That hardly seems fair. Or do teams in towns big enough to accommodate the tournament, owing to the fundamental inequity of sub-professional sports, never find themselves in the position of being crap on a stick? I wouldn't know; I don't follow major-junior beyond which of our draft picks are producing and which are lost without a map and should be stranded in Val d'Or forever.

I do like how the Memorial Cup teams all take their uniforms into Battle Formation and wear World War-inspired stuff.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I too am not happy with hosts getting automatic berths in events they are hosting, unless the tournament is always held in the same spot, as a money-maker for the club, like the Spengler Cup is for HC Davos.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that the only possible way my Sudbury Wolves would get to play in the Mem Cup would be to host it one year.

Having said that, they did win a club competition in 2012. I do think that if the tournament is not meant to be hosted in the same venue each time it is played, that the hosts have no right to an automatic berth. I believe that's what I am getting at.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that the only possible way my Sudbury Wolves would get to play in the Mem Cup would be to host it one year.

And sadly, as long as they play at the old Sudbury Arena, that won't happen. Sure it's not the best arena in the league by a longshot, but it's still is more of a hockey arena and has more unique features than almost every other arena in the league.

The automatic berth for the host team is one of those weird little things that gives me trouble with the Memorial Cup. What if a team is just crap on a stick, but plays in a town big enough to accommodate the tournament? That hardly seems fair. Or do teams in towns big enough to accommodate the tournament, owing to the fundamental inequity of sub-professional sports, never find themselves in the position of being crap on a stick? I wouldn't know; I don't follow major-junior beyond which of our draft picks are producing and which are lost without a map and should be stranded in Val d'Or forever.

I do like how the Memorial Cup teams all take their uniforms into Battle Formation and wear World War-inspired stuff.

IIRC Memorial Cup hosts are given enough of a heads up that they can usually field a decent team. There's also a bidding process so I assume "competitiveness" is taken in. There is also precedent for hosts surrendering their berths to their league runner up if the host is sufficiently awful.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's the problem I have with the Memorial Cup, there's always a team that doesn't deserve to be there. How can the host (or team that lost to the host in the finals of their respective league) who wins the Memorial Cup be considered the champion of the entire CHL if they weren't able to win their own league, but were able to win a four team tournament?

Example: In the 1999 Memorial Cup, the WHL champion was the Calgary Hitmen, the OHL champion was the Belleville Bulls, the QMJHL champion was the Acadie–Bathurst Titan and the host Ottawa 67's who were upset in the second round by the eventual OHL champion Belleville.

Calgary ended up with the bye to the final and Ottawa and Belleville played the semi-final game in which Ottawa won. Ottawa then proceeded to beat Calgary in overtime 7-6 in the Memorial Cup Championship game. So the Memorial Cup champion for 1998-99 was the host Ottawa 67's who were upset in the second round of the OHL playoffs, went 2-1 in the round robin of the Memorial Cup but were able to win two games in a row in a four team, eight game tournament.

It's going to happen this year due to the host #2 Saskatoon Blades being swept by the #7 Medicine Hat Tigers. The Tigers were then swept by the eventual Eastern Conference champions, the Edmonton Oil Kings. So the Blades have a month off in between being swept and the start of the Memorial Cup.

IEI5Tg1.png

3 team Mem Cup:

Each team plays once as 'home' team and once as 'away' team

Host does NOT get a berth unless they are actually a league champion, as the London Knights did in 2005

3 game round robin

Top two teams play for championship

If teams are all tied 1-1, tiebreakers such as goal differential, first-to-score are used.

The only problem with the 3 team system and the only reason why there is a host team of course has to do with how much $$$ the league gets! With only the 3 team system, the CHL won't get as much revenue. It's also why places such as Owen Sound or Rouyn-Noranda don't and will probably never host.

Love tradition. Keep the host birth.

In reality only two teams can't host the Mem Cup. Calgary and Edmonton, seeing as there's a possibility of the NHL team still playing, not bloody likely, still.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Love tradition. Keep the host birth.

In reality only two teams can't host the Mem Cup. Calgary and Edmonton, seeing as there's a possibility of the NHL team still playing, not bloody likely, still.

And Erie, Everett, Plymouth, Portland, Saginaw, Seattle, Spokane and Tri City. It would take a large amount of money that I don't think those teams will (or can) spend to get the CHL crown jewel back to the US.

The only problem with the 3 team system and the only reason why there is a host team of course has to do with how much $$$ the league gets! With only the 3 team system, the CHL won't get as much revenue. It's also why places such as Owen Sound or Rouyn-Noranda don't and will probably never host.

You know, that kind of surprises me, the worries about sponsorship dollars. Rouyn-Noranda, like Sudbury, has an economy dominated by mining giants (Xstrata and Vale). They have lots and lots of money. Here's some proof of that for Vale:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was the willpower for companies like EnCana in Calgary to at least co-sponsor a Mem Cup (maybe build another arena?) in the future. Taxpayer-funded, of course, as these big companies never want to eat too deeply into their own profits...

You know, that kind of surprises me, the worries about sponsorship dollars. Rouyn-Noranda, like Sudbury, has an economy dominated by mining giants (Xstrata and Vale). They have lots and lots of money. Here's some proof of that for Vale:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was the willpower for companies like EnCana in Calgary to at least co-sponsor a Mem Cup (maybe build another arena?) in the future. Taxpayer-funded, of course, as these big companies never want to eat too deeply into their own profits...

Just because the region is home to a lot of mines doesn't mean the money stays there. Look at Appalachia.

1zqy8ok.gif

Halifax wins the Q to clinch their spot in the tournament. Barrie leads London 3-2 with Game 6 on Saturday night, and Portland leads Edmonton 3-2 with Game 6 on Sunday.

http://www.fantasyho...rial-Cup-format

I think the Memorial Cup should not allow the host team an automatic berth. It should be like the Superbowl - yes any team that meets the requirements for hosting can do so, but not get a free pass to the event. Just pocket a fair percentage of the proceeds and move on. I'd say a fair split would be 33% for the hosts, 33% for the winners, 22% for the runners-up, and 12% for the last-place team.

Portland in on the back of Rattie. Hat trick including 2 SHG. With that win, I am fully behind any team winning the Memorial Cup besides them.

I'm guessing it's the finalist from the host team's league, under the premise that they'd have won it if not for the host team?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived