TheFloridianLogoMan

Origin of our love for logos

Collecting baseball cards is where it really took off for me, especially when I started collecting Fleer cards and pretty much only hoping for the logo stickers. Those were the best. Then, when Frosted Flakes had logo stickers for MLB instead of a toy, that pretty much sealed the deal. Hell, that's how I first learned of the Marlins and Rockies.

My first memories of being into logos were seeing logos on the side of scoreboard during halftime reports, Sunday NFL countdown, ESPNews, etc. The first sports team I ever chose to like of my own volition with no real ties to them or influence from other fans was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who I started to like when I was 7 mostly because of their logo and uniforms. Then when I was 8 years old I started drawing up my own logos for teams in fictional football leagues that I would make up in my spare time. That plus the fact that I saw uniforms/logos/helmets that I like change (Seahawks, Bills, Vikings, Cardinals, etc.) when I was little furthered it for me.

For me it was always much, much more about the uniforms than the logos. I had very specific preferences (buttons/pinstripes over pullover, for example) and I think I just like the general aesthetic: the stitching of the wordmark on a baseball jersey, the use of colors, the striping patterns on a football helmet, etc. Sports cards and televised games always generated a positive or negative reaction to the uniforms.

Logos were, and are, secondary and loom largest for me when they have a place on the uniform. So I care more what an MLB team does with it's cap insignia than it's primary logo. I may even care more about number font and outlining than the primary mark. Obviously, it is a big deal in hockey, where the primary mark is usually on the jersey, front and center.

The uniforms, during a game and in photos were just so present.

Growing up I collected hockey cards, and I would always draw my own with my own teams and logos and whatnot.

It started way, way back when I was a kid - probably with these.

chiquita+stickers+1970+ad.JPG

God knows how many bananas I consumed trying to get all 26 (at the time) teams. To this day I still remember that I needed the Redskins to complete the collection. I spent weeks trying to find a banana bunch with their sticker. Anyway, I loved anything that had to do with sports logos. I liked the team stickers better than the baseball and football cards that came with them. Like a lot of you, I spent a lot of time drawing helmets, team logos, etc. Then the damnedest thing happened. I was actually a fairly decent "artist" when I was young but once I started playing guitar, it was like I lost the ability to draw. Strange, but true.

You didn't just stand at the banana stand and swipe the stickers?

Once. My mom caught me and that was that. Back in those days, putting an ass beating on a kid was pretty common. B)