R.I.P to an Awesome Sports Logo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None. That's vodka in that Bloody Mary (along with spiced tomato juice).

Real Wisconsinites drink brandy old fashioneds (preferably over a game of sheep's head).

Sheep's Head is without question the most fun card game I have ever played. The only problems are 1) I was not very good at it and 2) there is no point in playing it without playing for money (because the "risks" are not too risky). I also enjoy Euchre, which was not nearly as fun as sheep's head, but at least can be played for fun (as opposed to money).

We always play for soda tabs when I go up north, which is fine by me since I'm not good enough to play for money either.

You guys are right. Leslie Alexander did raise the rent to make it virtually impossible for the Aeros to stay in Houston. They wanted those dates at the Toyota Center for concerts which they say makes more money and is easier to put on. It's just a shame because they were 7th out of 30 AHL teams averaging just under 6,800 per game. Their last glimmer of hope was actually the Astrodome deconstruction project which would include building a separate 6-10,000 seat arena for Houston Rodeo events and other smaller concerts/events. Reliant Arena is too old of an arena to play in. If that ends up happening, I think an AHL or ECHL team will come back to Houston. Too good of a market and the teams like it because Houston is a good market to fly in and out of for call-ups.

Love the post if they saw Virgin Airlines at the airport instead. The Houston Virgins! That would be as cool as the Macon Whoopie!

Probably too much info. Sorry to write so much. I dig the feedback on the Aeros logo. My opinion, history of logos like this make it more favorable.

You guys are right. Leslie Alexander did raise the rent to make it virtually impossible for the Aeros to stay in Houston. They wanted those dates at the Toyota Center for concerts which they say makes more money and is easier to put on. It's just a shame because they were 7th out of 30 AHL teams averaging just under 6,800 per game. Their last glimmer of hope was actually the Astrodome deconstruction project which would include building a separate 6-10,000 seat arena for Houston Rodeo events and other smaller concerts/events. Reliant Arena is too old of an arena to play in. If that ends up happening, I think an AHL or ECHL team will come back to Houston. Too good of a market and the teams like it because Houston is a good market to fly in and out of for call-ups.

Love the post if they saw Virgin Airlines at the airport instead. The Houston Virgins! That would be as cool as the Macon Whoopie!

Probably too much info. Sorry to write so much. I dig the feedback on the Aeros logo. My opinion, history of logos like this make it more favorable.

Maybe somebody could add an ice plant to the Merrell Center in Katy or the Berry Center in Cypress?

bYhYmxh.png

Maybe somebody could add an ice plant to the Merrell Center in Katy or the Berry Center in Cypress?

The only way Houston will see another minor league hockey team is if one of the suburbs builds an arena to attract a team, similar to cedar park in the Austin area with the Texas Stars. There is no other feasible option in Houston city limits for a club to play in. Unfortunately, I don't see Katy ISD or Cy-Fair ISD issuing a bond to add ice to those arenas nor the tax payers supporting it.

The ironic thing is is that Alexander actually tried to buy the Edmonton Oilers off of Peter Pocklington back in 1998 to move the team to Houston. (A last minute bid by the Edmonton Investors Group kept the team in Edmonton.)

And now he is responsible for driving the only pro hockey team out of town!

Go figure.

I always read that the team was called the Dayton Aeros not arrows and that the origin of the name came from the fact that the Wright Brothers (who invented the aeroplane) were from Dayton. When he moved the team to Houston he kept the name because that is where NASA is based. (National Aeronautics and Space Administration).

The Catch of the Day!

The ironic thing is is that Alexander actually tried to buy the Edmonton Oilers off of Peter Pocklington back in 1998 to move the team to Houston. (A last minute bid by the Edmonton Investors Group kept the team in Edmonton.)

And now he is responsible for driving the only pro hockey team out of town!

Go figure.

Let's say the Oilers did move to Houston. Sans the 2006 Cup run, the franchise has had mediocre to forgettable seasons up until today. But the question is this: would they have faced the same scrutiny the Coyotes and their "fans" currently face (Canadian team relocating to Sun Belt U.S. city to suck and face awful attendance figures in a market that visually does not support them, even in those rare playoff runs, all while being run to the ground by incompetent ownership)?

The Houston Oilers, that would have been a great name for a hockey team.

tumblr_ma48cc3Jss1r65aj5.gif

I see what you did there.

NHL 92 was the last game where you see that logo in a video game.

You mean, as a current team, since there is plenty of recent nhl games with it as a throwback jersey.

But yea NHL Hockey came out in August 1991, and they would use the new ST^RS logo that fall, so it just missed it.

NHL 92 was the last game where you see that logo in a video game.

You mean, as a current team, since there is plenty of recent nhl games with it as a throwback jersey.

But yea NHL Hockey came out in August 1991, and they would use the new ST^RS logo that fall, so it just missed it.

That's what I meant. I really didn't count the games from nhl 2002 to now where you can use them as a throwback. (nhl 2002 was the first game I played where I could use throwbacks, not sure if previous incarnations could use them)

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived