HP Pavilion getting new naming rights: SAP Arena?

DaRadniz29

Did a search and didn't see any thread on this. Also haven't heard of any news in a few months, but decided to post it anyway and maybe we'll hear more on this closer to the summer.

HP Pavilion looking to end naming rights early in San Jose:

http://allthingsd.co...ng-rights-deal/

Sounds like Meg Whitman and HP want out early of the ($47 Million/15yrs. [2016] and SAP could be interested in taking over as early as the 2013-2014 season or even this summer.

Here's the mercury news article:

http://www.mercuryne...ew-name-home-sj

If SAP doesn't go for it what company do you think might go for the naming rights?

Maybe the Adobe Dome? (I know it's not really a "dome" but dome seems to include all covered stadiums/arenas.

Maybe the Apple Arena?

Or do you think a company might go with something like:

(Company Name) San Jose Arena?

(Company Name) Shark Tank?

I still think of it as the Shark Tank, but I'm pretty certain the Arena will have a corporate sponsor. As long as the sponsor changes their logo to match or come close to the Sharks colors. None of the Oracle Arena red on a gold and blue court stuff.

Remember, as the articles state, SAP already has title rights to the ATP Tour tennis event there and SAP chairman Hasso Plattner now owns the Sharks. SAP could do a contract just to oppose what Oracle has in Oakland, thus until 2017-18 to equal the NBA/NHL number of home games which could go national.

Apple does not need to spend additional money on sponsorship or even more money in advertising. Their brand is known. Same as San Ramon's Chevron, who is a larger company than Apple.

In terms of Silicon Valley. Intel is an obvious, major Fortune 500 choice. Wells Fargo is out there too since even while Norwest bought Wells Fargo, they kept the name with greater equity. Clorox is probably waiting for something more Oakland-ish (not the store).

Japan's ANA Airlines (All Nippon Airlines) scheduled the new 787 from San Jose to Tokyo-Narita before the plane had issues and will continue to run it as of June 1.

Vineyards are still out there, as well as others. Hell, Tesla just turned a profit as they received a Consumer Reports 99/100 rating, so they could even be in play for a five year deal knowing they are string now.

I think you're right about Apple. Sponsoring an arena wouldn't mesh at all with their advertising or branding strategy. I think it could be preceived as a negative thing for them to put their name on an arena - like another sign that they're struggling to stay relevant. More importantly, their "thing" is that they are "apple" and apple things work with other apple things and they don't cross promote other products (even the phone commercials that mention Verizon or ATT are commercials put out by the phone carriers, not apple themselves.) One exception would be the whole "apple+HP" thing from a decade ago, but that's long forgotten.

HOWEVER - it might make perfect sense for Samsung to put their name on a building in Apple's back yard.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Japan's ANA Airlines (All Nippon Airlines) scheduled the new 787 from San Jose to Tokyo-Narita before the plane had issues and will continue to run it as of June 1.

Vineyards are still out there, as well as others.

I feel like I intercepted something from a spy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For what it's worth, most IT professionals refer to SAP phoenetically as "Ess-Aay-Pee," and not as "sap" like a tree.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

For what it's worth, most IT professionals refer to SAP phoenetically as "Ess-Aay-Pee," and not as "sap" like a tree.

True. I would imagine it would be the S-A-P Arena and they are definitely the frontrunners. Also the Apple Arena and Adobe Dome were just thrown in for good measure and maybe a a good laugh (for myself - if no one else :) )

I'd be surprised if Apple went in on the naming rights. I'd also be surprised if Adobe purchased the naming rights for the arena, but less surprised than I would be of Apple.

I don't mind SAP Pavilion or Arena, though they might want to go with SAP Pavilion since they already have the SAP Arena in Germany.

The SAP Pavilion in San Jose.

Oracle Arena in Oakland.

Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara.

I think I can confirm that the Bay Area has the most appropriate stadium naming rights for its teams and region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers_Field

L.A would like to have a talk with you.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Seagate already sponsors their third uniforms (BlackArmor! lol ugh), so maybe it could be Seagate Center, or Seagate Arena, or Seagate Big Grey Metal Box With Garish Lighting And A Casio Student-Model Keyboard Inside. See, it already sounds aquatic!

- Mr. Shark, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?

- Well, let's see. One... twoooo......... *ACK ACK ACK HKK GAAAG ACK ACK HCk GRRLLLRRGGH AAKKkkkkkkkkHHkk arrgghh heeellp ughhh hrrghh...ghhh....*

x_x

Seagate already sponsors their third uniforms (BlackArmor! lol ugh), so maybe it could be Seagate Center, or Seagate Arena, or Seagate Big Grey Metal Box With Garish Lighting And A Casio Student-Model Keyboard Inside. See, it already sounds aquatic!

/Keyboard straight out of a early 1990s video game does "Let's Go Sharks" chant notes over and over and over and over and over and over again

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

/Keyboard straight out of a early 1990s video game does "Let's Go Sharks" chant notes over and over and over and over and over and over again

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0L0UrvM6mE

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived