Evolution of the Miami Heat Logo

rmackman

It's interesting how a logo evolves, and as far as the Miami Heat goes, they've made minor changes every few years into what they have today. I know most people don't like gradients, but the Heat logo is one that really lends itself to having a gradient IMO. The middle logo is a fair representation for use on embroidered objects, but I feel like the version they use today is "overmodified" if that's a word. Filling in the spaces with black, darkening the red, and changing the tail of the T in HEAT was a bit much. It's still a wonderful logo, and I don't think the Heat will ever do anything drastic to get away from it (much like the Chicago Bulls have had the same logo for most of their existence), but I almost feel like this is a case of "they should haf left it alone." Use of "negative space" can often make a logo pop more, and that's what I think in this case.

Thoughts?

HeatLogoEvolution_zps019ee9ab.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I agree the negative space lines look better than what they currently have. The white lines make it look "hotter" to me. More like how fire actually looks.

I think the colors of the ball in the new one look better tho. I'd take the second logo and just have the ball be red all the way around like in the third one.

90758391980.gif

It's interesting how a logo evolves, and as far as the Miami Heat goes, they've made minor changes every few years into what they have today. I know most people don't like gradients, but the Heat logo is one that really lends itself to having a gradient IMO. The middle logo is a fair representation for use on embroidered objects, but I feel like the version they use today is "overmodified" if that's a word. Filling in the spaces with black, darkening the red, and changing the tail of the T in HEAT was a bit much. It's still a wonderful logo, and I don't think the Heat will ever do anything drastic to get away from it (much like the Chicago Bulls have had the same logo for most of their existence), but I almost feel like this is a case of "they should haf left it alone." Use of "negative space" can often make a logo pop more, and that's what I think in this case.

Thoughts?

The one in the middle was deemed a "special application" version for print and uniform usage. It was used from the 1988-1989 through 1998-1999 seasons.

I've been meaning to post a more accurate version of that first logo; pretty much all of the digital representations of it are inaccurate...the official print version was an overlay of Black, Yellow and Rhodamine Red.

It looks much richer and more RED.

I agree the negative space lines look better than what they currently have. The white lines make it look "hotter" to me. More like how fire actually looks.

I think the colors of the ball in the new one look better tho. I'd take the second logo and just have the ball be red all the way around like in the third one.

I posted this in another thread a while back regarding this very issue:

MiamiHeat_PropPMK01a_SCC_SRGB.png

See! It's the negative space that makes the difference. Although, I still prefer the original T to the current T flame tail.

Do you think you could update all of the Heat logos to reflect the correct coloring of the gradient version, the "print" version, etc.? The reason I ask this, is because t-shirt companies are looking to this database for some of their throwbacks. As a result, they're getting it wrong:

http://www.lids.com/NBA/Miami-Heat/20405172

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Thoughts?

It's time to update the current one. I'd smoothen the lines to make it sharper and more crisp, and balance out the yellow and red a bit better. The ring could use an adjustment as well. Something without the cartoony trace, perhaps no trace at all. Just a flat color.

See! It's the negative space that makes the difference. Although, I still prefer the original T to the current T flame tail.

Do you think you could update all of the Heat logos to reflect the correct coloring of the gradient version, the "print" version, etc.? The reason I ask this, is because t-shirt companies are looking to this database for some of their throwbacks. As a result, they're getting it wrong:

http://www.lids.com/NBA/Miami-Heat/20405172

I don't have access to do that.

The Heat's original logo was one of the rare occasions where gradients worked better than solid colors, IMO. The current logo doesn't look "firey" enough.

I'd still like to see the Heat switch to the old Floridians color scheme, though. They wouldn't even have to change the name, since it's technically possible to create a pink flame by burning lithium chloride.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That one just looks incredibly nice. I always thought that the black ring looked much better than what they have now.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

One those rare occasions where the original logo actually looks more modern than the current one.

If you knew nothing about the Heat and were asked to put those logos in chronological order most would go 3, 1, 2.

70389454.png

http://www.lids.com/...i-Heat/20405172

I don't have access to do that.

Awe man. Too bad =(. You do some of the best work on here!

spacer.png

My problem with their logo post gradient is the abrupt edge between the red and the yellow.

I'd do something like this to make the flow from red hot to yellow hot transition more smoothly, but without using gradients (which should almost never be used in sports logos).

Heat_zps44fb5d10.png

That's just a quick sketch to get my point across. Also, I preferred the white line to black. Makes the logo feel brighter, hotter, less heavy, all things associated with the concept of heat.

PvO6ZWJ.png

One those rare occasions where the original logo actually looks more modern than the current one.

True enough.

I really hate the coloring of the current logo:

burm5gh2wvjti3xhei5h16k8e.gif

The transition from red to gold is really arbitrary and doesn't make any sense. They just used the cutoff caused by the hoop, which is really goofy.

EDIT: just realized that McCarthy made the same point a couple posts up. Glad to see I'm not alone.

I used to think their most recent logo was their oldest logo. The gradient logo looks the most modern. What they have now is rendered pretty terrible IMO.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I really dislike their current logo and uniforms. Everything really. I think they could do with an entire rebrand, but given they'll probably win another championship or two with their current roster and look, it's probably here to stay for a while.

Archived