Oakland a's uni question

mr71

Okay, here I go again with my regularly scheduled uni inquiry.  The latest Oakland A's Cooperstown Collection jersey by Majestic is a yellow one with a white A logo on the left chest.  What year is this from?  I want to buy it and have Reggie Jackson's name and number customized on it.  BTW, does anyone have a link to a site with all the unis the A's wore in the 70's?  Thanks!

They wore those from 1972 to 1982.

Actually, since it's the yellow jersey with the white "A" with green trim, that would be from the 1972 season.  I believe for 1973, they changed to a green "A" with white trim on the yellow jerseys.

As for customization, to stay true to the 1972 style, you'll want a white number with green trim on the back, as well as green letters for the last name straight across above the number (NOT arched).  Also, on the front, you'll want a white number with green trim to the left of the "A" -- in fancy Montreal Expos (pre-1992) font.

Hope this helps.

Andrew M. Greenstein

I know Marc Okkonen's book has a few errors in it, and I guess this must be one of them.  It has the same white "A" logo from 72-82, with no mention of a green "A."  I know I have seen the one with green, and didn't last year's throwbacks have a green "A" also?
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I have a large picture of Reggie Jackson wearing the white jersey from 1972.  It should give you some idea about the font and placement of the number on the front.  I can scan it and send it to you.  As for the back, the key detail is the name on the back being straight, like you would find on a football jersey, as opposed to arched.  The numbers on the yellow jersey were white with a green outline and the name on the back was green only - no outline.

Thanks SJ for the picture.  It will help out alot when I have this jersey customized.  The ironic part is that it will be of a guy who didn't play in the 72 World Series after messing up his leg in the ALCS.

Archived