American Football Worldwide - Tanzania

sc49erfan15

I posted a few concepts in this series over the winter holidays... then a combination of running out of creative juices and getting busy put it on hiatus. I opened some concepts I had started on back then a few days ago... and I'm back in it.

Previously in American Football Worldwide

tanzaniamap.gif

The United Republic of Tanzania is located in East Africa, and is probably best known for being home to the world's 4th most prominent mountain - Mount Kilimanjaro, at 19,308 feet. The name "Tanzania" is a combination of the mainland "Tanganyika" and coastal islands of "Zanzibar" - but more on that in just a minute. Zanzibar had long been visited by Arab traders, still evident today in its nearly-100% Muslim population. Tanganyika was colonized by Germany (one of Germany's few colonies) in the late 1800s, then was transferred to Britain after World War I. Tanganyika received independence from Britain in 1961, and after the Zanzibar Revolution overthrew the Arab rulers in Zanzibar in 1963, the two entities combined to form Tanzania in 1964. Since then, the country has had its share of violence, but significantly less compared to other African nations.

In the world of sport, Tanzania has not been successful. Tanzania has won a total of two medals at the Olympics, both silvers in 1980 in athletics. Soccer is the most popular sport, but Tanzania has never qualified for the World Cup finals and is currently ranked 116th in the world. Tanzania's national basketball team is currently unranked by FIBA, but one Tanzanian has reached the NBA - former UConn Husky and 2nd-overall NBA draft pick Hasheem Thabeet. As for the viability of American football in Tanzania, as usual in this series, it's very doubtful. However, Tanzania was host to the first American college football game ever played on the African continent - the 2011 Kilimanjaro Bowl pitted Drake against the Mexican College All-Star team.

And...concept!

TanzaniaFootball_zps12b0c2e1.png

First, despite the flag featuring sky blue, Tanzania's sporting colors are royal blue and black. However, some national team jerseys have included the flag colors as well... but I wanted to simplify things, so I went with royal blue, green, black, and white. Initially, I had gold as trim, but it looked cluttered. The primary logo features the Uhuru Torch, one of Tanzania's symbols, and is meant to wrap around the helmet - think Tennessee Titans. Combined with the torch resembling a T... instant logo idea. Thoughts?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The fact that this has next to no attention really shows how far down hill the concepts section has gone.

I like the torch logo on the helmet, but I think that the jerseys are a bit too plain. Nice work overall though.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Not really liking pants stripe without some kind of continuation on the jersey, though please, in the name of all is holy, avoid Denver's Fightin' Parentheses look. And really, the jerseys just seem a little too plain. I don't think you have to go over the top--even a double outline on the numbers could do a lot. As far as the logo and helmet go, the black torch is blending in on the helmet.

Otherwise, this is a really solid concept. I like the palette and the colour hierarchy and the logo. I look forward to seeing more, this was starting out to be one of my favourite series and then I was sad to see it fall by the wayside. Keep up the good work.

rATMcmK.png

Archived