Lengthy....but quiet.....careers

HedleyLamarr

How about Jochen Hecht? I feel like if I weren't a Sabres fan, I wouldn't have heard his name in the last ten years, but he has racked up over 800 games.

If you go to the Wikipedia list for active games played leaders for the NHL, about half of them are guys that were never very good or haven't been good in a while.

My winner from that list is Radek Dvorak. Came into the league in 95-96. He scored 31 goals in 2000-2001, but never even got to 20 in any other season. He has played for seven different teams (plus a second stint with the Panthers). He has 1200 games played.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as relievers go, who are good at toiling in obscurity for years, I think of Terry Mulholland, Mike Stanton, and of course Captain Wacky, later renamed Mike Marshall.

Cliff Ronning hung out in the NHL for like 20 years and never really did anything.

Eh, Terry Mulholland pitched a no-hitter for the Phillies and was their #1 started during their world series run of 1993 (until close to the end, when Curt Schilling moved from the bullpen to the starting rotation.) Dude also had the most wicked side-step pickoff move I've ever seen in all my years of watching baseball. Still, I had no idea he bounced around and hung on for as many seasons as he did in his post-Phillies career. I even forgot that he had a second stint here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Jim Kleinsasser played 13 years as a Vikings TE. He was always...there.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Is it too soon (or even worth it) to add Drew Gooden to this list?

Dude got all-rookie his first season in like '01 or '02 or something and since then...done pretty much became the next Chris Gatling.

Quick—what team does he play for right now? No cheating!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Current Mets reliever LaTroy Hawkins was losing picther in 1998 during David Wells perfect game, still pitching and I thought he retired five years ago.

That's a good one. I was stunned years ago to realize he was still around. He was a disappointment...was considered a good starting prospect, but put together a decent career out of the pen.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

He isn't active, but I gotta think Darrell Evans had about the quietest 414 HR career of anyone in baseball. He played 20 years, won a World Series ring with the Tigers in 1984, he was the first player to hit 40 home runs in both leagues, he was the oldest player (38) to lead the AL in home runs - yet I bet a lot of people here have never heard of him. Bill James called Evans the most underrated player in baseball history.

Trivia: If memory serves, I think Evans was on base when Hank Aaron hit #715. (I'm sure Kramera-billy or pmoehrin will correct me if I'm wrong) He is one of my all-time favorite players.

107-224Fr.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Just thought about another name for this list while I was out an about earlier.... Otis Nixon.

Debuted in 83, last game was in 99. Never made an All-Star game, and has the most stolen bases by anyone to have not made one. He shares the single game stolen base record with 6. 16 years for a guy that was known almost entirely for his speed is pretty impressive, especially when you consider he had a cocaine problem while in the league.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

Not American, but Steve Harper retired as a Newcastle United goalkeeper yesterday. In 20 years with the club he made 157 appearances (along with roughly 50 appearances for other teams when on loan).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

He isn't active, but I gotta think Darrell Evans had about the quietest 414 HR career of anyone in baseball. He played 20 years, won a World Series ring with the Tigers in 1984, he was the first player to hit 40 home runs in both leagues, he was the oldest player (38) to lead the AL in home runs - yet I bet a lot of people here have never heard of him. Bill James called Evans the most underrated player in baseball history.

Trivia: If memory serves, I think Evans was on base when Hank Aaron hit #715. (I'm sure Kramera-billy or pmoehrin will correct me if I'm wrong) He is one of my all-time favorite players.

107-224Fr.jpg

I've heard of him. But I am 43 and had an autographed Darrell Evans baseball glove as a kid. Always liked him.

I was going to nominate this guy.

801a607f6a57dd2caf239165123d78c017aa6eae.jpg?x=185&y=250&sig=3f2f2e6c32d8431b7965e2e1ed4b6a09

Not a stellar career, but Jerry Reuss DID play 20 seasons, was a two-time All Star and won a World Series with the Dodgers.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

7× All-Star (2004–2009, 2011)

Gold Glove Award winner (2008)

2005 American League batting champion

2006 MLB All-Star Game MVP

2x Marvin Miller Man of the Year Award (2008, 2011)

Yet I've never thought about Michael Young in my life.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Marcus Camby is more a "He's still playing?" guy than a unremarkable career guy. He's a forward who had important playoff games in New York. Guys like that tend to remain semi-important, even if they aren't superstars.

Hakin Warrick is a good one. He's done a while lot of nothing since joining the league in 2004. He's nearing a decade in the league without a single notable highlight. That almost takes skill.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Steve DeBerg... even though the guy is probably in his 50s by now, if I found out he was holding the clipboard for any NFL QB (or even starting for someone like the Browns or Bills), it probably wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Marcus Camby is more a "He's still playing?" guy than a unremarkable career guy. He's a forward who had important playoff games in New York. Guys like that tend to remain semi-important, even if they aren't superstars.

Hakin Warrick is a good one. He's done a whole lot of nothing since joining the league in 2004. He's nearing a decade in the league without a single notable highlight. That almost takes skill.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Steve DeBerg... even though the guy is probably in his 50s by now, if I found out he was holding the clipboard for any NFL QB (or even starting for someone like the Browns or Bills), it probably wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I remember seeing him on i think the falcons a few years ago or whenever he was last actively playing and saying 'he's still playing?'

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived