NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We probably won't see anything on that until next year anyway. I'm sure it will leak a week or 2 before jersey week as it seems to go that way the last couple years in MLS

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Europosing is a great term.

The WLAF/NFL E failed because of it's total lack of understanding of the European and country-specific sporting culture. If say, the Frankfurt Galaxy were called Frankfurt AFC, then that would be totally understandable. Sponsors on jerseys too, would have been acceptable.

Marketing sports here is totally different. Kansas City has a history with soccer (see NASL, the early years). Changing the name to Sporting Kansas City had less to do with the success of the franchise then building a stadium and getting the right marketing strategy. I get it. The name was part of the strategy. I still think Europosing is a bad strategy. And please don't tell me I'm in the minority. I'm not. You're asking soccer fans, not the outliers who the league wants to attract. Of course soccer fans are going to react positively. That's what they are used to. If you think you can grow the sport without attracting the outliers, good for you.

I read this today on the CNNSI site:

A WCNN host mentioned that the name Atlanta Phoenix has been gaining traction on Twitter (the mythical bird is the centerpiece of the city flag) and Blank replied, “I’ve heard that too.”

I'm not sure I like the name, but that's the way you name a team. Not something utterly stupid like Orlando City or NYCFC.

I would much prefer a Soccer-style name over a really bad US style name. Atlanta Phoenix is horrible. A non-count noun that is more famous as the name of another city. Might as well be the Atlanta Cleveland.

I know Panthers hates the gootballization of mls names but any of these is superior in my mind to Atlanta Phoenix:

Atlanta FC or SC

Atlanta Olympians

FC Terminus

Atlas Atlanta

Ajax Atlanta

Heart of Dixie FC

I would much prefer a Soccer-style name over a really bad US style name. Atlanta Phoenix is horrible. A non-count noun that is more famous as the name of another city. Might as well be the Atlanta Cleveland.

I know Panthers hates the gootballization of mls names but any of these is superior in my mind to Atlanta Phoenix:

Atlanta FC or SC

Atlanta Olympians

FC Terminus

Atlas Atlanta

Ajax Atlanta

Heart of Dixie FC

They probably will want a more city encompassing name but I read their new stadium is going to be in Atlanta's Vine City neighborhood. Would be very English to name it after the neighborhood...

Vine City FC

most of these are pretty bad, the only ones I like in order of best to worst is Atlanta FC, Atlanta Olympians, Heart of Dixie FC, Atlanta Phoenix, everything else is just bad, and reaches. the MLS does not need another "City", I don't see Americans showing support for a latin word like Terminus, Atlas is a reach, and Ajax is as bad a Real Salt Lake

And please don't tell me I'm in the minority. I'm not.

Okay, then. Prove it.

MLS has seen a great increase in its business since it stopped ignoring the global nature of the sport. Our interpretation of the facts seems much more likely.

To grow the league, they must first continue to bring in people who are already fans of the sport.

And please don't tell me I'm in the minority. I'm not.

Okay, then. Prove it.

MLS has seen a great increase in its business since it stopped ignoring the global nature of the sport. Our interpretation of the facts seems much more likely.

To grow the league, they must first continue to bring in people who are already fans of the sport.

Seriously?

This again.

Gothamite basically took the words out of my mouth there.

When you look at MLS 1.0 with things the countdown clock and the penalty shots for overtime you'll see that the attempts to "Americanize" the sport did not work.

If you don't agree. Cool. But let's just agree to disagree then please.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I continue to be amazed by the America is correct, and the rest of the world is wrong, mentality here. It's ok for things that Americans didn't invent to be considered good. It doesn't make one any less patriotic. America does a lot of things wonderfully. So does the rest of the world.

FC Dallas is about a gazillion times better than "Dallas Burn."

Given how generally stupid pro sports team names are (Kiss, IronPigs, etc.), I much prefer the simpler, traditional approach. Soccer is a different sport with different traditions that lead to sometimes elegant names. NYCFC is one such example.

A dogmatic City Nickname approach isn't compatible with soccer's traditions, and shouldn't be the expectation for a growing league that one day may attract true international stars playing in their prime.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I like the European style names. Sure they may not make sense in some cases, but a lot of MLS supporters are fans of "football" all around the world. It gives them a certain connection to the game internationally. I also like the idea of the team that doesn't have a formal nickname but the supporters adopt one. For example, Chelsea are the Blues and Liverpool are the Reds.

I've always hated that this debate always draws a line between soccer fans and non-soccer fans. Doing so gives way too much importance to a team's name when it comes to drawing fans.

The name is important, but I highly doubt a non-soccer watching sports fan will take a flier on a new team just because it name conforms to the (City Name) (Predatory Bird/Ferocious Animal/Etc.) construct rather than the Euro-centric United/FC/City naming conventions. They'll come to a game because of buzz, fan experience, atmosphere. The name, in my mind, is a smaller part of the mix.

I'm more than fine with European-style names as long as they don't just swipe random words that have a specific tradition in Europe. <side-eye to Real Salt Lake>

The only people who are put off by European names are the same dopes who think soccer players are "lawn fairies" and probably wouldn't buy tickets anyway.

Atlanta Phoenix is horrible. A non-count noun

One phoenix, two phoenixes, three phoenixes, oh damn I'm counting.

Singular noun ≠ non-count noun. "Happiness" is a non-count noun (and also an abstract noun). You can't have multiple happinesses, unless you're getting into some sort of philosophical discussion. Jazz, Magic, Thunder, and Heat would be some extant sports examples. "Avalanche" is singular, but could be pluralized.

Come to think of it, maybe they should have called the team the Avalanches, because as bad as one is, imagine twenty of them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If we're talking about Atlanta, Silverbacks is the right choice. But I like continuity, even if it's a somewhat-silly name.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Agreed on Silverbacks. No better choice. Is the group getting the MLS club the same that owns the Silverbacks? In other words, is there a hurdle to leap to procure that name? Haven't been following this story closely.

Archived