NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

http://mwillis.com/p...-logos-branding

Here is another one I came across but I am not a big fan of it.

tumblr_inline_mnb71xh7iV1qz4rgp.png

I actually think that this might have some potential. I like the shape and colors more than the letters but its on to something. Has there been a pro sports team in America that utilized a pentagon as their primary logo shape? I think it would be really interesting. I get the whole token reference with the pentagon inside of the circle, but I think its a bit too literal for me.

The pentagon is a fine idea but it is the "FC" on the inside that kills it. It should be NY or NYC and have a slightly different font.

I think you're missing the point. The pentagram is NYC. It represents the 5 boroughs.

I get the point but it would still be better served with an NY or NYC

Also when has a pentagram ever represented NYC in anything that people would automatically know?

Should the Jets and Giants rename as well?

You are missing the point to what he is saying.

He is saying that having a team named New York, hoping to represent NYC, in New Jersey is kind of stupid when there is going to be a team in NYC. This is completely different from the Jets & Giants that have no team in New York City to compete with.

So had the Jets moved to Manhattan, the Giants would have changed?

This would be my response if I was Red Bull:

3t59kj.jpg

IMO, it looks stupid to have a team named New York that plays in Jersey to begin with. It would be even dumber to have a team in New Jersey named New York when there is a team in New York representing New York.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're missing the point. The pentagram pentagon is NYC. It represents the 5 boroughs.

Also when has a pentagram ever represented NYC in anything that people would automatically know?

FWIW, I'm in the Upper Midwest and the pentagon = five burroughs reference was fairly obvious to me.

3t59kj.jpg

Red Bull isn't the Giants though, they're not even 20 years old and alienated the fanbase they'd cultivated as the MetroStars by adopting an explicitly corporate identity.

Best case scenario for RBNY, IMO, would be to rebrand as something along the lines of "Metro FC," an honest name that doesn't brand the club by a place they've never even played in. From there, they could either bring back the old MetroStars colors, or go with royal blue and orange; the colors of the Mets and the NYC flag. They could even use the Metro(s) name to tie in the with the Mets/Jets fan base, since Yankees/Giants fans will most likely support NYCFC.

So many people are unfamilair both with the Geography and Social boundries of New York City and Northern New Jersey.

The Meadowlands is in East Rutherford. Geographically it is in NJ but in the same way Auburn Hills or Landover MD are not in Detroit or Washington, it is simply there because there was not available, affordable, accessable land in NYC to build arenas and stadiums. So it is land just on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel where NY teams can play. At the time, the Devils and Nets played there and chose to identify themselves as NJ because there were already NY teams (the Nets played in New Brunswick when they originally moved to New Jersey so it made little sense to change the name back to NY when they were technically still playing in NJ.) Again, the Devils and Nets choice At That Time was branding and was a choice of identification and representation.

The Giants and Jets who originally played in NYC continue to represent NY and the NY metropolitan area even though their stadium is geographically in New Jersey. Again, you have to just consider The Meadowlands as being built on cheap land, not a relocation.

HOWEVER having said all that - the Devils and Red Bulls now play in Newark, which I would consider a wholey NJ city. (please no one say Harrison) So when the Red Bulls played in the Meadowlands it was fine for them to be NY, and NY-NJ was fine too if they wanted to throw the city of East Rutherford a bone in the same way the Super Bowl is... but now that they play in Newark and Especially with a REAL NYC team on they way I do kind of agree it doesn't make much sense for them to be named NY.

I'd say its exactly the same as Los Angeles Angels playing so far away from Los Angeles. They are doing it stricly for marketing reasons even though its incorrect. The Jets and Giants are not doing it for marketing reasons, they DID NOT move out of NYC... they just built a stadium on available land that happens to be technically not within the city limits.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

HOWEVER having said all that - the Devils and Red Bulls now play in Newark, which I would consider a wholey NJ city. (please no one say Harrison) So when the Red Bulls played in the Meadowlands it was fine for them to be NY, and NY-NJ was fine too if they wanted to throw the city of East Rutherford a bone in the same way the Super Bowl is... but now that they play in Newark and Especially with a REAL NYC team on they way I do kind of agree it doesn't make much sense for them to be named NY.

I'd say its exactly the same as Los Angeles Angels playing so far away from Los Angeles. They are doing it stricly for marketing reasons even though its incorrect. The Jets and Giants are not doing it for marketing reasons, they DID NOT move out of NYC... they just built a stadium on available land that happens to be technically not within the city limits.

I agree with all the parts about the Red Bulls (I do not care for American Football so I have no comment).

However since it is obvious that Red Bull or most future owners wouldn't want to let go of the NY tag for the team. I was thinking that if someone were to buy the team and rename it as Gotham FC or something to that effect it would satisfy most of their brand problems.

1. You keep a connection to NYC by using Gotham which is a nickname for it.

2. Gotham City in the Batman comics is located in NJ so it would be a good nod back to Jersey.

3. No need to use the clunky NY/NJ prefix.

I still wouldn't support them now that NYCFC is coming but I think it would be a good route to go to for a new owner that may want to keep up the image of being a NY team. If they wanted to represent NJ or Newark fully then that would also be fine.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I agree with all the parts about the Red Bulls (I do not care for American Football so I have no comment).

However since it is obvious that Red Bull or most future owners wouldn't want to let go of the NY tag for the team. I was thinking that if someone were to buy the team and rename it as Gotham FC or something to that effect it would satisfy most of their brand problems.

1. You keep a connection to NYC by using Gotham which is a nickname for it.

2. Gotham City in the Batman comics is located in NJ so it would be a good nod back to Jersey.

3. No need to use the clunky NY/NJ prefix.

I still wouldn't support them now that NYCFC is coming but I think it would be a good route to go to for a new owner thatmay wantto keep up the image of being a NY team. If they wanted to represent NJ or Newark fully then that would also be fine.

Yeah state and municipal boundaries haven't really mattered for a few decades. It's all about metro areas: TV markets/DMA's etc. rule the sporting landscape. The larger your perceived reach is, the more perceived value your franchise has in and out of your local market.

• 2 months later...

I know double blue's a given considering the Man City/Yankees connection, but it's a shame that light blue's been overused in MLS.

Apart from darker blue, light steel blue also looks very nice when combined with brick red and gold:

Light_Steel_Blue_429808_i0.png

colors2.jpg

So, considering the many brownstone houses in New York City, maybe that might be a nice fitting color scheme...

newyork-brick.jpg

I know double blue's a given considering the Man City/Yankees connection, but it's a shame that light blue's been overused in MLS.

Apart from darker blue, light steel blue also looks very nice when combined with brick red and gold:

Light_Steel_Blue_429808_i0.png

colors2.jpg

So, considering the many brownstone houses in New York City, maybe that might be a nice fitting color scheme...

newyork-brick.jpg

I like the thinking but not sure the Yankees would welcome a Mets-like color scheme.

http://mwillis.com/p...-logos-branding

Here is another one I came across but I am not a big fan of it.

tumblr_inline_mnb71xh7iV1qz4rgp.png

I actually think that this might have some potential. I like the shape and colors more than the letters but its on to something. Has there been a pro sports team in America that utilized a pentagon as their primary logo shape? I think it would be really interesting. I get the whole token reference with the pentagon inside of the circle, but I think its a bit too literal for me.

The pentagon is a fine idea but it is the "FC" on the inside that kills it. It should be NY or NYC and have a slightly different font.

I think you're missing the point. The pentagram is NYC. It represents the 5 boroughs.

Should the Jets and Giants rename as well?

You are missing the point to what he is saying.

He is saying that having a team named New York, hoping to represent NYC, in New Jersey is kind of stupid when there is going to be a team in NYC. This is completely different from the Jets & Giants that have no team in New York City to compete with.

3t59kj.jpg

IMO, it looks stupid to have a team named New York that plays in Jersey to begin with. It would be even dumber to have a team in New Jersey named New York when there is a team in New York representing New York.

So what's your opinion on the Redskins playing in Maryland?

Anubis.png

PLEASE end the "Jets and Giants should change to NJ" talk once and for all!!! Playing in the Meadowlands does not mean they are a NJ team. The meadowlands is EMPY LAND just on the other side of the river from NYC. It is EMPTY LAND to build a stadium and have a large parking lot for tailgating and all the other things you need to do to have a football game which is mostly unavailable in NYC.

Anyone who says that the Jets and Giants should change to NJ is obviously not from the NY area and has no clue what they are talking about. It just flat out does not make sense to always have a stadium in the middle of downtown. You put the stadium where you have land, which may be outside the city limits or even the state. East Rutherford, NJ, Harrison, NJ, Landover Maryland, Auburn Hills Michigan, etc. That does not mean you all of a sudden do not represent the City.

Also - please don't cite the Devils and Nets. They played next to Giants stadium for years and represented NJ. Also - they played where there was LAND to build an arena. It does not signify what area they represent.

Red Bull NY is a NY MLS team, no matter where they play there games. It wouldn't NOT make sense for them to change to NJ, but there is no reason they need to. Find me 30 empty affordable square blocks in midtown New York to build a 20,000 seat soccer specific stadium and I'm sure they would move there in a heartbeat.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

While I like a lot of these design concepts, I really wish it was the Cosmo's in the MLS, not this new fictitious club. Cosmo's are going to die in the NASL now. Beautiful color scheme and one of the most recognizable names in American soccer, along with the Rowdies.

CE5uC.jpg

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

While I like a lot of these design concepts, I really wish it was the Cosmo's in the MLS, not this new fictitious club. Cosmo's are going to die in the NASL now. Beautiful color scheme and one of the most recognizable names in American soccer, along with the Rowdies.

CE5uC.jpg

They're not going to last. They're going to die out?? A new team in New York, especially in the MLS, will take away what is left of the Cosmos' fan-base. I must of poorly worded (is worded a word lol) what I said?

Archived