NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

Not a bad logo for a club without any history.

How can they have a history when they haven't even played a game yet?

Every team starts from the point they are at right now.

Uh... Yeah? That's what I said. It's a good crest for a team that lacks history. I wasn't questioning why they don't have any history.

I was mostly making a comment regarding this because there are a few NASL teams (The Cosmos, for one) that have had over 30 years of history, so their identity isn't as bland as the new New York team. They did a good job not trying to implement a 'faux-history' type logo that i've seen before, but I still would've preferred to see the Cosmos get brought into the MLS. Oh well.

I thought you were trying to make a dig at NYCFC of some kind.

I guess I've been debating the minority of crazy people in the Cosmos fanbase too much. My bad :upside:

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not entirely sure how that crest is imparting "faux history"? Are you saying that only clubs that have been around for a long time can have simple and well-designed crests?

Not at all. It's the retro feel of the NYCFC badge that I have a problem with. Especially when all their other marketing materials have been very modern and fresh. Just seems like someone at the top wanted to look historic rather than progressive. So simple and well-designed, sure I'm all for it. But crafted to imply a false sense of history, I'm not so keen on that.

I think they were trying to go for the "timeless" look. The problem with the "modern and progressive" look is that it can become extremely dated in 10-15 years if it's not done right.

They probably took a look at how the Nets rebranded themselves when they got to Brooklyn and decided to copy elements from that. Especially in how they combined modern elements in their marketing with more retro ones in their branding.

I can see that. I do think the clean, modern look of the NYCFC inside the pentagon and circle would have been just as timeless but more forward thinking. The new New York if you will. That's just my take though.

I Personally love the NYCFC badge, they went with a timeless look that will hold up as good if not better than any badge in MLS. With that said, I like gothamite's mashup more, as well as the more sophisticated monogram design concepts. As an MCFC supporter I like that the badges are unique of each other but will look nice together. I was hoping that the Latin phrase and MCFC motto Superbia In Proelio or Pride in Battle would make an appearance. That phrase would be a nice connection between the City family of clubs, Manchester City, NYC and Melbourne City (Heart).

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

No, thanks. I think it's important that we create our own culture independent of the parent club.

There's a perception some of a red or green persuasion are quite keen to spread, that supporting Man City is somehow a prerequisite for supporting NYCFC. Anything that can be done to fight that should - no "Blue Moon", none of that.

Hmm. Having a hard time visualizing that one.

It was the one re-posted yesterday...

1672748-slide-image-1.png

I like the primary mark and hope NYCFC use it as a secondary mark in some way or another. It would be a nice touch...always been a fan of the five points pentagon with anything to do with NYC.

And there will be no "Blue Moon Rising" occurring with NYCFC. If they were smart they will create their own identity based on American soccer standards.

No, thanks. I think it's important that we create our own culture independent of the parent club.

There's a perception some of a red or green persuasion are quite keen to spread, that supporting Man City is somehow a prerequisite for supporting NYCFC. Anything that can be done to fight that should - no "Blue Moon", none of that.

No I agree whole heartedly goth, I just don't think "pride in battle" is so tied to MCFC that it would be a problem. Like I said I'm a city supporter and a Colorado native who also supports the Rapids and I hate arsenal. I would say in these situations if you like the parent club (MCFC, arsenal) you should follow and support the daughter club. (NYCFC, Rapids) if you support a daughter though you don't necessarily need to like the parent. I'm interested in NYC because of my city fandom, but I like the rapids on their own, and dislike their bigger club that they are connected to.

That distinction might just be in my head, but it makes sense to me.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

You can't deny that Man City and the Yankees (to a minor extent) going to be an influencing factor in people's decision. There's some synergy between Man City and NYCFC that you can't deny from the sky blue to the name "city".

If someone is a Manchester United and/or Mets fan he isn't likely to support NYCFC.

If I was a fan of an English club (besides Man City) then I wouldn't even think of supporting NYCFC as its going to be a vehicle used for them to either help some of their players or a breeding ground for future MCFC players sometime down the road.

I'm really looking forward to see how prominent the orange will be on the uniform.

As much as I love orange, I hope that there will not be too much of it. I feel that should be Houston's color. But the light blue/orange combination is a great one.

I'm hoping they use orange the same way the Yankees use their red.

If someone is a Manchester United and/or Mets fan he isn't likely to support NYCFC.

If I was a fan of an English club (besides Man City) then I wouldn't even think of supporting NYCFC as its going to be a vehicle used for them to either help some of their players or a breeding ground for future MCFC players sometime down the road.

Actually, I can tell you from my own experience that you're flat-out wrong. That might be a rule you'd live by, but there are many who are capable of separating the two. And one of the most prominent volunteers, who'll probably end up running the show, is a Man U and Mets fan from Queens.

The local supporters group is currently made up of Man U fans, Arsenal fans, Spurs fans, fans of Spanish clubs like Real and Barca, and even a smattering of Man City fans. Something about the local side trumps all.

Vancouver's kits are primarily navy and white. And KC's shades are different.

Originally, I was hoping NYCFC would use halves, but that would would be too close. A sky blue shirt, with white shorts and navy socks? Nothing like KC.

Maybe I should say I'd like NYCFC to use orange the way KC uses silver.

I'm hoping they use orange the same way the Yankees use their red.

Actually, I can tell you from my own experience that you're flat-out wrong. That might be a rule you'd live by, but there are many who are capable of separating the two. And one of the most prominent volunteers, who'll probably end up running the show, is a Man U and Mets fan from Queens.

The local supporters group is currently made up of Man U fans, Arsenal fans, Spurs fans, fans of Spanish clubs like Real and Barca, and even a smattering of Man City fans. Something about the local side trumps all.

There may be the few Man U and Mets fans that will make the jump, but I know a good amount of Mets fans that have sworn off NYCFC because they are owned by the Yankees.

The European football fans I know are Eurosnobs so they won't be on board regardless, but I just can't see the majority of Man U fans in the area clamoring to root for a Man City owned team.

Vancouver's kits are primarily navy and white. And KC's shades are different.

Originally, I was hoping NYCFC would use halves, but that would would be too close. A sky blue shirt, with white shorts and navy socks? Nothing like KC.

Maybe I should say I'd like NYCFC to use orange the way KC uses silver.

Yes that would look good with the orange dabbled throughout the kit the way KC uses silver. I think orange shouldn't be overused but it should be the secondary color next to sky blue

Archived