NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

I'd make it a distant tertiary. Navy & sky, with just a touch of orange.

Interesting - I got to talk with head coach Jason Kries at the logo unveiling, and he told me he preferred the shield logo, in part because it's a more interesting shape and in part because the orange was more prominent. But lest you think that means more orange in the kit, he also assured me that he wasn't given a vote on the crest. We'll see if he has any input in the kits.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd make it a distant tertiary. Navy & sky, with just a touch of orange.

Interesting - I got to talk with head coach Jason Kries at the logo unveiling, and he told me he preferred the shield logo, in part because it's a more interesting shape and in part because the orange was more prominent. But lest you think that means more orange in the kit, he also assured me that he wasn't given a vote on the crest. We'll see if he has any input in the kits.

How was the logo unveiling in person? Did you get to talk to more people from NYCFC other than Kries?

Yes - I got to talk with their director of fan services, some of their ticket and marketing guys as well as Tim Peretti the COO, coach Kreis (flew in from England for about nine hours before flying back) and director of football operations Claudio Reyna. That last one was very cool, since I saw him as a player way back when. Was kind of surprised - Reyna and Kreis are both shorter than I. Peretti, on the other hand, is a mountain of a man. Keeps you humble.

That's great to hear you had a great experience conversing with the power players at NYCFC. It's always good to be able to relate with the Front Office of a club you support, makes you feel closer to the club as whole. I get that with my local football club Victoria Highlanders Fc of the USL PDL. I get to talk to the owner, general manager and front office staff about a wide range of topics. It's truly a community club and I love that for it.

Can I ask how you got invite to the unveiling event?

I crashed it. A winning smile and sharp necktie can get you past just about any bouncer.

Seriously, I've been doing some work with the burgeoning supporters' group, helping with their incorporation and 501© application. My background is Off- (and Off-Off-) Broadway theatre, so I'm familiar with the structure.

The club has been incredibly supportive but arms-length, not wanting to drive the process in any way.

That's good to hear about the club wanting a supporter atmosphere at the ground but wants to let the supporters set it up from the ground up. What are your numbers like so far? Does the SG have a name yet? What kind of direction is group going in for supporting? Love to hear more about it.

I'm the president of the Victoria Highlanders FC only supporters group The Lake Side Buoys. We started off small, a group of 10 brought together by the club. Victoria is a hockey and lacrosse town for spectator sports. Fans here don't normally get up, sing, cheer and have banter sessions with the opposing players. The owner of the club wanted the supporter experience at the matches. After the first season we took off on our own and created the Lake Side Buoys. Five years on and we currently have 40 people in the SG (average attendance for VHFC home matches are 1600-2100). The group is made up of Brits, Scots, a lot of football mad supporters that have dome European background. But mostly we enjoy each others company over a few pints and the joy of supporting our only football club. So I know what the ups and downs of getting a SG off the ground. And to top things off we are one of two supporter owned football clubs in North America. The season ticket holders own 30% of the club plus the SG has a major say in the club decisions (nothing about finances or players). We have a really good working repore with the club front office. We just had a social meeting with the club with respect to changes for 2014 both on and off the pitch, including huge news that affects the club. And we

were the first to hear any of this. So here's hoping your SG goes well.

BjCoS8VCIAAyN2d.jpg

I love this look that's been consistently used throughout to process. Super clean, modern, fresh. Surprised the 2 crests to choose from look nothing like this. On one hand I like the retro feel of the two crest options but then think, come on, this is NYC, it should be something that is modern, progressive, yet done in a high design style. Just my thought. Below was my favorite from the beginning.

349_NYCFC-Ball-Thumb.jpg

I never cared for that logo. I understand what the pentagon was going for, but I never liked it as the central element of a logo for a New York based team. When I think of a pentagon I think "northern Virginia" not "New York City."

I don't think NYCFC stole the logo from Internazionale. The NYCFC logo is not a complete copy nor does it infringe on any copy rights

I wouldn't say they stole it BUT it is way too close. Probably an honest coincidence but when the owners/designers realized it, they should have revised it to make it less similar. The similarity was pointed out here on the boards way before the final logo was unveiled. Not a ton of time but time enough to tweak.

If a similar thing was pointed out to me before a final logo I designed was unveiled, I know I would definitely want to change it so as to not be accused of copying (I've actually done this before).

Archived