NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

Will New York fans refer to their team as City FC? Let's go City? "Did you watch the City FC game yesterday?" I couldn't tell you.

I can see NYCFC supporters refer to the club as City FC or even the Sky Blues. It's how the club promotes themselves and how they want their supporters to see the club. It has to be better than NYRB has promoted themselves.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Panthers why do you keep saying the logo is a token, the actual NYCFC logo is a plain roundel. The true token logo was just a concept. Your entire argument is void because everything you have said clearly shows you have NO idea what you are talking about. You were obviously against this team from the start and for every person who is turned off by the Euro naming convention, there is another person who likes it and will take NYCFC more seriously than the New York Lions, Royals, Stars or any other 'murica name. Soccer is a global sport slowly gaining traction in the US and American soccer culture has been laughable and the perception of outsiders is worse.

Trust me I know I'm just getting into soccer, I used to hate it but then I gave it a chance and It really is a beautiful game. I still to this day respect euro soccer more than American soccer, so branding in a euro way is smart.

First things first. I was playing the game before you were born…unless you are in your 50s and if so, I apologize. I'd give the team a chance if it

1. Embraced the ethnic neighborhoods of our City (it has not.)

2. We have our own naming convention in this country. As for the comment before about American football teams in Europe with names and jersey sponsors, go to the GFL and look up the New Yorker Lions. Most of the teams are walking billboards.

I have no idea what I am talking about? Sorry, but I work in the branding industry. I think NYC FC or FC NYC or whatever the hell they call themselves is just pure stupidity. Branding itself after Europe? Turn Off!

You sir, are the one who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Panthers why do you keep saying the logo is a token, the actual NYCFC logo is a plain roundel. The true token logo was just a concept. Your entire argument is void because everything you have said clearly shows you have NO idea what you are talking about. You were obviously against this team from the start and for every person who is turned off by the Euro naming convention, there is another person who likes it and will take NYCFC more seriously than the New York Lions, Royals, Stars or any other 'murica name. Soccer is a global sport slowly gaining traction in the US and American soccer culture has been laughable and the perception of outsiders is worse.

Trust me I know I'm just getting into soccer, I used to hate it but then I gave it a chance and It really is a beautiful game. I still to this day respect euro soccer more than American soccer, so branding in a euro way is smart.

First things first. I was playing the game before you were born…unless you are in your 50s and if so, I apologize. I'd give the team a chance if it

1. Embraced the ethnic neighborhoods of our City (it has not.)

2. We have our own naming convention in this country. As for the comment before about American football teams in Europe with names and jersey sponsors, go to the GFL and look up the New Yorker Lions. Most of the teams are walking billboards.

I have no idea what I am talking about? Sorry, but I work in the branding industry. I think NYC FC or FC NYC or whatever the hell they call themselves is just pure stupidity. Branding itself after Europe? Turn Off!

You sir, are the one who doesn't know what he is talking about.

I'm sorry but If you work in the branding industry, you should understand better than most just how smart and un-stupid the name is. It's spot on for the genre. You don't have to like it, but research should show you that it is a very smart branding move.

Often I find myself not personally liking a particular design aesthetic, but realize it's the most effective solution for the client and their industry. So, I have to put my personal aesthetics aside and create what is going to be the most successful for my client.

Will New York fans refer to their team as City FC? Let's go City? "Did you watch the City FC game yesterday?" I couldn't tell you.

While "City" is the most obvious nickname in the running, I hope fans and media can come up with some more creative alternatives as well...

The problem is I can't think of a single example of a unique nickname developing organically at a North American club to date. Maybe it just takes more.

For example, in the case of Toronto FC, the most common nickname used to date is the Reds. Pretty boring and generic if you ask me, and while I'm not completely sure of where it developed, I believe the club was using it as a nickname from very early on, so it may not have even come from the supporters.

In general I'm a fan of the way MLS does it, a hodge podge of American and Euro naming conventions keeps things interesting. I just hope club supporters get a bit more creative with their nicknames over time.

City wouldn't be the worst nickname, but can't we come up with something better? The Boroughs? The Tokens? Big Apples? Something!

While "City" is the most obvious nickname in the running, I hope fans and media can come up with some more creative alternatives as well...

The problem is I can't think of a single example of a unique nickname developing organically at a North American club to date. Maybe it just takes more.

For example, in the case of Toronto FC, the most common nickname used to date is the Reds. Pretty boring and generic if you ask me, and while I'm not completely sure of where it developed, I believe the club was using it as a nickname from very early on, so it may not have even come from the supporters.

In general I'm a fan of the way MLS does it, a hodge podge of American and Euro naming conventions keeps things interesting. I just hope club supporters get a bit more creative with their nicknames over time.

City wouldn't be the worst nickname, but can't we come up with something better? The Boroughs? The Tokens? Big Apples? Something!

It was actually one of the names from the "name the team" online poll.

I've heard that is the name MLSE wanted/was hoping would be voted for all along to try and play off of the nickname for Liverpool.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I see your point, but your post also gives me hope as you came up with some ideas straight away.

"The Boroughs" has a nice ring to it actually :)

If you go into any of the ethnic neighborhoods in the outer boroughs like mine in Bushwick, where futbol is king, there is nary a sign of NYCFC anywhere. In Bushwick. block to block it changes - Mexican to Ecuadoran to Colombian. They take there futbol seriously. How do I know this? Any five and dime store will sell jerseys, ooops, I'm sorry. Shirts. They sell winter gear with national team crests and club crests. Hmmmm. And in the Brazilian neighborhood in Astoria, you can get a 4-star Brazil home yellow jersey. In the Romanian neighborhood, which is bordered by the old Irish neighborhood in Woodside….

If I am starting a team, and I want it to be successful, I reach out to every single one of those neighborhoods. The MetroStars didn't do it. The Red Bull didn't do it. NYCFC or whatever the F you want to call them didn't do it.

Yeah! Smart marketing!

I'm sure when they actually start play their gear will eventually be in every one of the places mentioned. The Sounders gear wasn't easily found in local shops until the start of their first MLS season. And even then, it took a while for their gear to trickle down and be found at mom and pop shops.

If you go into any of the ethnic neighborhoods in the outer boroughs like mine in Bushwick, where futbol is king, there is nary a sign of NYCFC anywhere. In Bushwick. block to block it changes - Mexican to Ecuadoran to Colombian. They take there futbol seriously.

I think you meant "They take their futbol seriously." If you're going to call someone or something stupid (as you have) you should take the time to not mix up a deixis and a pronoun.

How do I know this? Any five and dime store will sell jerseys, ooops, I'm sorry. Shirts.

Comments like this are what make you seem bitter that American soccer is adopting more a more Euopean style when it comes to branding. The Dallas Burn never captured the attention of the city's soccer fanbase like FC Dallas did. Toronto FC, despite being terrible historically speaking, have left a bigger impact on the city's sports culture then the Toronto Blizzard ever did.

You need to realize something Panthers. These European style names have proven to be successful from a branding perspective whether you like it or not.

If I am starting a team, and I want it to be successful, I reach out to every single one of those neighborhoods. The MetroStars didn't do it. The Red Bull didn't do it. NYCFC or whatever the F you want to call them didn't do it.

Yeah! Smart marketing!

How has NYCFC failed to reach out to these neighbourhoods? What have they failed to do? They just released their primary logo. Give them time to build a presence throughout the metropolitan area.

Further, you never answered my question. What kind of name and logo would have suitably appealed to you? What kind of name and logo would have reached out to these communities in a way that NYCFC can't?

Branding itself after Europe? Turn Off!

Is this the root of the problem here? You just don't like Europe? It's funny, because a more European style name like New York City FC will probably appeal to those ethnic neighbourhoods more than a North American style name would.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what you're mad at them for not doing.

He's mad at them for not going for a more traditional American name like New York Skyliners or New York Emperors because he (for some reason) feels that a more American name will entice people in ethnic communities in New York to embrace the team.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

NYCFC is pretty general. I think it will encompass the diverse NYC population just fine.

Let's keep in mind that these ethnic neighborhoods are actually used to Euro naming conventions due to the large popularity European soccer should have among them so that's not exactly grounds for alienation.

Midway.png

I think one could even say that NYC FC is arguably the most inclusive name possible in regards to New York's ethnic neighborhoods, because the "City Name + FC (or SC/AC/etc.)" team name formula is pretty much the universally common style accross the globe - whether in Latin America, on the Balkan or on the British Islands, you find City Name FCs everywhere you look!

Archived