NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

Virtually every airline has partners.

Doesn't change the fact that Etihad barely even flies to the United States and doesn't fly at all within the United States.

I'm glad that MLS is attractive enough to draw an international sponsor, but this "official" deal is just odd.

I know what you meant but just so people don't expect them to, no foreign-flagged carrier is allowed to carry passengers domestically in the US. It's why VIrgin had to start Virgin America and have a different ownership setup.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, not exactly.

That's a shirsey, with his name and number on the back in the official MLS font:

Lampard_clinic.jpg

Lampard_SupportersTee.png

Shirseys are usually suggestive of the jerseys (which is kind of the point). We know that City is going to have a sky blue shirt, so perhaps this is a fair indication of what it'll look like (minus the Adidas stripes and inevitable Etihad sponsor logo).

I like it with the blue shorts - that'd be a good look.

I know it's expected that Etihad will be the kit sponsor, but Arabs + airplanes + New York = bad idea. My prediction is that we will see Metlife or another big local corporation on the kits.
I believe Etihad has joined MLS as a league sponsor. And I don't believe that the vast majority of people will have an issue with NYCFC wearing the same sponsor as their parent club.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

You mean sister club. ;)

Perhaps many won't. But conversely, many of us in the Supporters Group feel it sends the wrong message.

I know what you meant but just so people don't expect them to, no foreign-flagged carrier is allowed to carry passengers domestically in the US. It's why VIrgin had to start Virgin America and have a different ownership setup.

Exactly (my brother wrote his law journal article on that very regulation). And Etihad as a New York sponsor would make some sense, as they fly in and out of New York, where it makes no sense for the league itself.

I'm sure the MLS has the final call when it comes to the type of sponsor that NYCFC is allowed to wear. If the MLS believes it's in the best interest to avoid the "Ethiad" sponsor (Which, I have no personal problem with. But believe the Supporters groups opinions should be rightfully heard over the rich Arab owner), then maybe we will end up seeing a sponsor-less kit.

Just to make it clear - I couldn't care less where Etihad is headquartered or that the owner of the City Football Group is Emirati. My only objection is that sharing the same sponsor feeds into the perception that NYCFC Is just a farm team, and therefore represents a missed opportunity to strike a local note.

Not all of my fellow supporters agree, though some do, and the group as a whole has not taken an official position on it.

Virtually every airline has partners.

Doesn't change the fact that Etihad barely even flies to the United States and doesn't fly at all within the United States.

I'm glad that MLS is attractive enough to draw an international sponsor, but this "official" deal is just odd.

We're seeing more these types of deals where in the past official sponsors inferred/implied that they were also an official supplier (carrier in this case) of an event/organization. These days it's simply a marketing gimmick/money grab. Renault/Nissan opting to use the Infiniti brand as the main automotive Red Bull F1 sponsor is another great example of the sponsor in name only and having no real practical purpose as all of the engineering continues to be done on the Renault side of the company.

I think the Etihad play here is made purely as a NY specific marketing play. If that required a league wide sposorship so be it. MLS has also shown in the past that they are more inclined to just take millions of dollars in sponsorship and expansion fees and not really consider the long term effects of such deals. Also these types of deals seem to be quite popular among the emirate based oil barons in terms of over prromoting their brands which may end up being a good investment in the long run as they try to increase their footprint globally.

And hey at least its not qatar right?

I've seen chatter on Twitter about Etihad's code-share partner, NYC-based JetBlue. They've been doing a lot of sports partnerships, and they fly just about everywhere MLS has teams. Plus, the sky blue, navy and orange color scheme fits perfectly.

But mostly, I want this to happen here too:

• 2 months later...

Just to make it clear - I couldn't care less where Etihad is headquartered or that the owner of the City Football Group is Emirati. My only objection is that sharing the same sponsor feeds into the perception that NYCFC Is just a farm team, and therefore represents a missed opportunity to strike a local note.

My objection to both Etihad as league sponsor and City Football Group as a MLS team owner is that both have ties to the UAE govenment. A government which has an abysmal human rights track record.

It's a complicated sentiment. I don't hold any of that against NYCFC's fanbase. All in all? I rather like the NYCFC organization, which seems to know exactly what it's doing from a branding and marketing perspective.

It's just that those ties to the UAE do exist. So I can't bring myself to view the team as a whole in a positive light. Which is a shame because they have, as I've said, been doing everything right. And I usually like to celebrate that. It is what it is though.

My objection to both Etihad as league sponsor and City Football Group as a MLS team owner is that both have ties to the UAE govenment. A government which has an abysmal human rights track record.

One minor correction - City Football Group has ties to one person in the UAE government, and apparently a relatively minor one at that ("Minister of Presidential Affairs"?). Not the government as a whole.

I don't know how much control Sheikh Mansour has over public policy in the Emirates, but under his ownership Man City has been very outspoken in their support for gay rights in the UK. That leads me to believe you can't paint him personally with his whole family's (or country's) brush.

Sheikh Mansour is actually the Deputy Prime Minister of the UAE. He's also the brother of the UAE President/Emir of Abu Dhabi. On top of all of that? He sits on the governmental body that oversees petroleum production in the country, the backbone of the UAE economy. He's more then just a minor figure in the UAE government. He has a significant amount of authority.

It's great that he's outspoken about gay rights in the UK, but the fact remains he's silent on the topic in his own country. Which is the real shame because he has the means to really be a positive force for change on that front.

Little easier to be outspoken about gay rights in the UK than it is in the UAE. I'm sure he also feels that people in the UK should get paid for working, too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't understand why so many teams in soccer make sponsorship deals with foreign airlines. Imagine if the Toronto Maple Leafs played at the KLM or Alitalia Centre instead of the Air Canada Centre, it just doesn't make sense.

Because their money is just as [insert the primary color of your nation's money] as anyone else's.

And because the team brand (and kits) are as big if not bigger overseas than they are in the home country. Etihad, Air Emirates and all those Chinese betting sponsors don't care about the UK market, they are trying to get their name on kits that will be sold everywhere from Brazil to Dubai to Shanghai. It has almost nothing to do with the home market.

Now, for MLS, that is just not the same situation, so I would expect not to see an international brand, but a more localized one like a Jet Blue.

No one in Brazil, Dubai or Shanghai is rushing out to buy Columbus Crew jerseys, which is why Barbasol and not Air Emirates is on their kit. I would guess NYC is a bit more prestigious, but not enough for a major world sponsor.

Archived