NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

MLS already had its period of "progressive design."

mls172316.jpeg

How delightfully au courant they all were. But now the league is growing up.

Most of those designs can stay in the '90s, but I would love to see the DC United and Crew unis in action again.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got me. I know they're required to hold something back for Jersey Week, and this would lend credence to the rumor that they're not going to have a 3rd.

Y'all have to realize that "progressive design" to Goth means a plain shirt, maybe with a team logo.

:upside::P

Oh, team logos are a must. I'm just not yet sold on things like Arsenal's fancy-pants contrasting sleeve stripes. ;)

Got me. I know they're required to hold something back for Jersey Week, and this would lend credence to the rumor that they're not going to have a 3rd.

I think they should have unveiled it all at once. It could have mitigated the blow back created by the copy and paste home jerseys if the 2nd and 3rd (if it exists) are really nice looking.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

But I don't think they were allowed to unveil the aways yesterday if they aren't having a 3rd - MLS requires each team to unveil one jersey during their event week before the season.

It seems MLS likes its event weeks ("Jersey Week" & "Rivalry Week").

As for the away I think I'm predicting it's going to be navy with sky blue numbers and sponsor and a little orange somewhere on the jersey if this picture is anything to go by:

B1yUIZgIYAAYMD1.jpg

BTW, the whole collage on the numbers thing is really corny. I get the idea behind it but it will probably look really stupid if it's done the way they are showing it in that pciture.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

The "pictures on the numbers" thing is just one step above an inspirational phrase on the inside of a collar. Not impressed.

As for the NYCFC jerseys? Yeah, they're about what everyone was expecting, but that doesn't diminish how sharp they look. I, for one, am glad they left the orange out. It shouldn't even be in the primary logo.

Are numbers only available in a select number of colours? I seem to remember hearing that was the case. If so, do any clubs currently have light blue numbers? I can't think of any..

KC wears light blue numbers on their change shirts.

SportingKC_LAGalaxy_SP_7-19-2014_BLD24.J

Cap, I tend to agree with you. And once people get over their expectations of navy (which was never going to happen), then I think they'll see that.

How precious - Man City "dress up," right down to the sponsor and everything.

So much potential here with a great logo and tons of iconic NYC imagery to work with - and they end up looking like someone's little league team.

Better to look like a top tier's team than not. I appreciate wanting a unique look but also appreciate that they didn't try and overdo it and end up looking minor league-ish. Very solid, if predictable, look.

wRW659M.png?1

Quick and dirty edit of what I would have been happy with, and what I was expecting them to do as far as making them the slightest bit unique from Man City's kits. It's not much, but it's something, and I think it would be enough.

Kind of torn, because I didn't actually want orange on the home shirts. And switching white to navy wouldn't stop people from crying Man City, since they have navy accents now.

I still think that this would have solved an awful lot:

ConceptNYCFC_jersey_Nissan.png

Without the sponsor, they're just two simple, classic shirts in similar colors.

Archived