ksupilot

NYC FC Branding

As much as I generally dislike the adidas stripes and find them intrusive and detracting from a team's identity, I secretly loved when they had the France kit deal and would incorporate the tricolor flag into the stripes. With that in mind, I wanted to see if the NYC flag - also a tricolor, and part of the NYCFC color scheme - would work. This is a quick and dirty mock done while my boss wasn't looking (hence, I only did one shoulder), but I think it gives it a little more of a distinct personality:

nycfc_flag_zpsd4a8399a.jpg

I didn't like it when they did that for France, and I'm afraid I don't like it here either.

I should know the answer to this, but I don't: what connection does Nissan have to NYC?

They're a corporate sponsor. The "official electric vehicle" of the club.

They're also the manufacturer of the new "Taxis of Tomorrow" that have started taking to the streets, so there's a very real relevance in the lives of New Yorkers.

2014-nissan-nv200-taxi-new-york-citys-ta

So there's a connection to the city, and an existing relationship with the club. Opportunity missed.

I did not know all that.

And...yeah, DEFINITE missed opportunity there.

I dig that idea, Waffles (and loved it when France did it, too).

I dig that idea, Waffles (and loved it when France did it, too).

Agreed. Not having orange in these kits is really a missed opportunity. Waffles' idea is a nice solution.

And lo, FIFA15 did break the seal, and the away kit was leaked, and there was much rejoicing...

image_zps7048976f.jpg

EDIT: Dammit. Shouldn't have paused to write the caption. :P

GOOD GOING FIFA 15, LOOK WHAT YOU DID

Anyway I liked it better when I thought the five diagonal stripes were blue or orange -- either would have been better than the weird reflecty thing, but not a huge deal.

Ah, I think they're subtle enough. We'll see how they look in person.

It's funny; months ago, they anticipated all the objections people would have to the homes. Too bad they couldn't release the two all at once.

NYCFCRevealed-infographic-away2.jpg?5So1

My monitor sucks. Are these black or very dark blue?
Black.

Black.

Black? That's not a team color. I thought they were supposed to be Yankees FC, not Mets FC.

That said, the five stripes are almost invisible and I really like the subtle bit of orange at the collar (even though it looks vaguely like a t-shirt behind/under an open placket).

I look at it as a change kit like the European clubs. It doesn't have to be a team color.

Good point. Of course, I always find it disconcerting when European teams show up in uniforms that make them look like a completely different/unrelated team (e.g., Manchester United in various shades of blue, Arsenal in yellow or blue, Liverpool in green . . . )

Those are all traditional away kit colors for those clubs, though. Arsenal in white, however...

Those are all traditional away kit colors for those clubs, though. Arsenal in white, however...

How about Arsenal and Liverpool in purple and black or Manchester United in grey . . . to list some other examples I found via Google?

At least for England and Scotland, I defer to http://www.kitclassics.co.uk/.

As an American it was initially strange to get used to leagues rejecting the "white at home, color on the road" convention (or vice-versa) but I got used to it. Now Manchester United wearing blue on the road seems perfectly traditional to me.

I don't think it has to be color and white. I just think the majority of teams can stick with their main colors to produce a change kit.

That said, if a team has developed a tradition with a certain color that isn't otherwise part of its palette, so be it. However, when you go beyond the developed tradition (Arsenal in purple and black), you become the European soccer version of Oregon Nike Test Pilot football.