NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

That Arsenal kit was incredible(y nightmarish), though since moving to Warrior, I think Liverpool has careened even further off the rails.

At any rate, I'm glad NYCFC picked black instead of navy, even though navy would have been a more apropos team color. Their city rivals in RBNY and the other light-blue team in Sporting KC both utilize navy away kits, so going with black is a good choice for distinction purposes.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I was holding out too much hope for orange. Must be the Oriole fan in me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

These are nice enough.

Also, the Arsenal purple/black looked awesome.

I'm a Ravens fan, so I love me some purple and black . . . and it was a great looking kit. It just didn't look like Arsenal.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

At any rate, I'm glad NYCFC picked black instead of navy, even though navy would have been a more apropos team color. Their city rivals in RBNY and the other light-blue team in Sporting KC both utilize navy away kits, so going with black is a good choice for distinction purposes.

That's a point I also thought about. And I agree. I think 'black-sky blue' or 'orange-navy' were the best choices to go.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

I don't mind teams playing around a little bit with change kits, if it helps them preserve their primary colors without bowing to commercial pressure. How many American teams have dropped their traditional/unique colors to be yet another navy or black team?

That's a different issue altogether.

"That's a different issue." </airplane>

Actually, I don't think it is. Many teams change their colors to conform to the latest merchandising fashions. Putting change shirts in those "hot" colors gives them an outlet for that without necessarily impacting the main uniforms.

"That's a different issue." </airplane>

Actually, I don't think it is. Many teams change their colors to conform to the latest merchandising fashions. Putting change shirts in those "hot" colors gives them an outlet for that without necessarily impacting the main uniforms.

I meant that American teams adding or changing to non-team colors is a different issue, since the American tradition has been to use team colors for away uniforms.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I like having a home/away AND a alt kit. That way the home/away can keep the brand colors and the alt can be completely different. Allows for lots of flexibility. Sad the Sounders have gone away from that as I loved both the highlighter yellow and super cyan alt unis they used to wear. Now they are just green or black.

Sounders312thumb.jpgLarge_150113_AuthSS_Electricity_J.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had the Cosmos wished to change the business model, they would have done well to join and work from within. Recruiting like-minded owners to change the bylaws is far more likely than a court challenge. But I suspect the Cosmos' owners were simply outbid; we don't actually know who owns them.

I too love NYCFC's identity. They've done an amazing job using local iconography without being too obvious or showy.

As for Milwaukee, I think MLS might be too rich but think they'll be a natural fit in the NASL. Maybe as a landing point for the Silverbacks or another displaced team.

There is actually no realistic prospect of MLS changing its business model, as there is no call for this from its current crop of investor-operators. For the Cosmos' owners to enter into MLS with the goal of changing the minds of all the other investor-operator groups would have been utter folly.

And the Cosmos' owners (which are known; I don't know where you get the idea that "we don't actually know who owns them") were not outbid. They were in negotiations with MLS for the right to the franchise that eventually went to the Man City / Yankees partnership. When the Cosmos found out what the single-entity structure meant for their brand, they walked away.

Regarding NYC FC -- I also think that they have done a great job with their logos. I have a warmup jacket, and I hope to get a hat or two. But no jersey; I wouldn't wear a soccer jersey that has an ad on it. (I have two Cosmos jerseys that came out before they put ads on them.)

And I really like having the Manchester City owners as investor-operators of this team. Despite my being a Chelsea fan, I greatly respect Manchester City's owners for how they have transformed that club. They, like Chelsea's owners, are doing things the right way, the way that's in the interests of all concerned. These sorts of owners benefit their own fans, of course. But they also benefit all other fans by elevating the competition, and thereby putting pressure on other clubs to get better owners.

I already stated this in another thread but I just hate the Euro-branding copycat bandwagon that MLS is on. We have team names in North America. The Whitecaps, Sounders, Timbers and the LA Galaxy have excellent brands and a great overall soccer presentation at their home games.

So I hope that NYC FC will succeed. Because of NYC FC, I will surely pay more attention to MLS than I ever have done before. Still, my distaste for the league's way of doing business remains, as does my admiration for the Cosmos' decision not to take part in it.

I have stated this in another thread but I just hate the Euro-branding copycat bandwagon that MLS is on. We have team names in North America. The Whitecaps, Sounders, Timbers and the LA Galaxy have excellent brands and their game day presentation at their home games are first class.

And here in Seattle, I'd say I hear the team being referred to Sounders FC more than Seattle Sounders. So even though there is the nickname, I feel it's more like the Euro model of Arsenal or Inter.

I think that occurs because the team is pushing it. I really hop Crew SC goes back to Columbus Crew quickly. I have no intention of adding the SC when addressing the team.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

And here in Seattle, I'd say I hear the team being referred to Sounders FC more than Seattle Sounders. So even though there is the nickname, I feel it's more like the Euro model of Arsenal or Inter.

FWIW, I've only ever called them "Sounders" in casual conversation. The only place I heard "Sounders FC" is on the broadcasts or at the stadium.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived