ksupilot

NYC FC Branding

The funny thing about Real Salt Lake is that it is so easy to rectify. Just rename the team as the Salt Lake Royals or the Salt Lake Regals. It won't even require that much changing to the identity.

Also they should rename "Rio Tinto" Stadium because that is more cringeworthy than the team name.

Rio Tinto is a British mining and metals corporation.

Furthermore the name wouldnt be SO easy to rectify since the fan culture has coalesced around the ReAL name and the RSL moniker. As awful as the name is, most fans get physically ill at the idea of changing the name...I dont...but most do.

The fan culture may be attached to the name but perhaps more people in the city might be more inclined to give the team a go.

I would also guess that the current fanbase would warm up to it eventually.

So you're saying the difference between near sell-outs and sell-outs is the name?

scruffy.jpg

RSL is the only top-tier professional sports option available in Summer...they even sold well when they sucked. I think you're letting your distaste, for what I agree is an awful name, delude you into thinking it actually has some power besides mild annoyance.

The fans were upset when their opinion was ignored during the "Name-the-team" contest, but they've gotten over it.

I am a NYCFC fan so I would be a hypocrite if I started clamoring about "sell outs" because of a name. Besides RSL is not even a sell-out name it is just bad. The only sell out is RBNY since they changed their original identity of Metro to Red Bull.

I just find the name cringeworthy and thought of an easy way to make it palatable to potentially more people. Even if it is the only option it can still be kind of intimidating for some.

I am surprised no one has posted something utilizing this yet... even has the blue and orange...

rCyyzvT.png?1

I found a link to this concept from a USA Today article and thought it was awesome so I am going to put a link to it here.

1672748-slide-image-1.png

http://www.fastcodes...-subway-token#1

I don't mind the approach, but would rather it have a more retro feel. Maybe use some sort of interlocking NY in the middle and replace the light blue with orange. Even if the Yankees are part owners, the orange/blue is representative of New York City.

I found a link to this concept from a USA Today article and thought it was awesome so I am going to put a link to it here.

I don't mind the approach, but would rather it have a more retro feel. Maybe use some sort of interlocking NY in the middle and replace the light blue with orange. Even if the Yankees are part owners, the orange/blue is representative of New York City.

The MLS is having a design contest right now for a logo and many of the enteries they showed had orange and blue.

Unfortunately the link to it is now broken.

Edit: Here is the link fro Design Football (the people running the competition for the MLS)

http://www.designfootball.com/design-galleries/competitions/new-york-city-fc-competition/

Crap, I thought my concept was going to be the only one with a hexagon!

But I highly doubt they'll be navy and orange. Both the Yankees and Man City aare obsessed with their brand, so it'll be a mix.

Crap, I thought my concept was going to be the only one with a hexagon!

But I highly doubt they'll be navy and orange. Both the Yankees and Man City aare obsessed with their brand, so it'll be a mix.

You still have a chance, given that's a pentagon :P

Shhhhh! I still want to show my tough guy persona even though I don't know the difference between 5 and 6!

Hold on, if you haven't, you have to see the whole package. This guy put a ton of work into this unsolicited branding proposal. I think it is great!

http://hyperakt.com/work-detail/349

I just saw it and I agree.

He even game me my new wallpaper.

349_1370187923.jpg

This one is pretty good as well

349_1370188588.jpg

Interesting to see the Cosmos carry out their plans of a 21k stadium, a TV deal with MSG, and a major jersey sponsor with Fly Emirates. They have owners with deep pockets, and play in a league with no cap. Their owners say they will want to compete for the CCL trophy in the next few years to come. This team already has a support group bigger than most MLS teams.

It would be a GIANT embarrassment to the MLS if they won it. If they have good TV ratings, and good attendance in a new stadium, why would they even want to enter a league with a cap, and roster restrictions?

This team could change how the MLS operates.

Pretty amusing how there's people attacking their work and calling it a Chattanooga FC "knockoff". You decide.

5864897558648975.jpg

Pretty amusing how there's people attacking their work and calling it a Chattanooga FC "knockoff". You decide.

5864897558648975.jpg

I know Chattanooga FC, and I thought of them after seeing that concept to be honest. The colors and a circle did it for me.

5864897558648975.jpg

I definitely see similarities but I wouldn't call it a knockoff since the person who created it gave us his inspirations for the logo. He even created a pic that also explained it.

349_1370391975.jpg

I'm not saying its a ripoff but you could always list inspiration that wasn't really inspiration. Just becasue someone says they weren't inspired by something isn't evidence to the contrary. I don't think its a rip off but not becasue they said it wasn't.

But, that's the problem with circle logos. There are so many out there and there are only so many ways to lay out the text. Depending on the colors and fonts you use it's almost always going to look like someone elses mark.

Its a fine mark and it would be good in the MLS. I'd like to see some additional options cause I think it can be better but its a good look overall.