NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think they should be called New York City?

Yes. I think ultimately this would be a smart branding move as an informal name. It's similar to "Manchester City" plus it makes it clear which team is New York City's team. The Red Bulls play in Jersey and half of their name is a corporation. There's no better way for the new franchise to establish itself as the team of the city than to simply be informally known as New York City or maybe even just City like its parent across the Atlantic.

I also would love for the Red Bulls to be rebranded back as the MetroStars. I think NYCFC is going to come into the league with all kinds of firepower and backing to be the showcase club for the league. I feel like Red Bull has botched all chances to make that the club of choice in New York City. So instead of trying to take NYCFC head on, I think NYRB needs to look back at its past and history and define itself as the team of choice amongst "real" soccer fans in the area. It can't do that with the current Red Bull coporate branding. Go back to MetroStars (you could drop the silly NY/NJ part and just call them MetroStars FC or something...don't make the name geographically restrictive) and market the club as the real alternative for passionate fans to the mega-publicity evil empire love child of the Yankees and Man City that popped up in Queens basically overnight.

I also would love for the Red Bulls to be rebranded back as the MetroStars. I think NYCFC is going to come into the league with all kinds of firepower and backing to be the showcase club for the league. I feel like Red Bull has botched all chances to make that the club of choice in New York City. So instead of trying to take NYCFC head on, I think NYRB needs to look back at its past and history and define itself as the team of choice amongst "real" soccer fans in the area. It can't do that with the current Red Bull coporate branding. Go back to MetroStars (you could drop the silly NY/NJ part and just call them MetroStars FC or something...don't make the name geographically restrictive) and market the club as the real alternative for passionate fans to the mega-publicity evil empire love child of the Yankees and Man City that popped up in Queens basically overnight.

I think the Cosmos are already cornering the market on the fans against big money and corporations. Whether they can keep that market and expand on it is something only time can tell.

Unfortunately for the former Metrostars, Red Bull has this idiotic belief that by buying teams all over the world and renaming them Red Bull [insert place here] that they are building up the Red Bull brand when in fact they are making it look ridiculous. Any sane person would have rebranded long ago as Metro FC (or something similar) and be done with it but these people have their heads too far up their own asses.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Interesting to see the Cosmos carry out their plans of a 21k stadium, a TV deal with MSG, and a major jersey sponsor with Fly Emirates.

Wait, Cosmos will be on MSG? I haven't heard anything about that. I was figuring they wouldn't be on tv at all.

http://mwillis.com/p...-logos-branding

Here is another one I came across but I am not a big fan of it.

tumblr_inline_mnb71xh7iV1qz4rgp.png

I actually think that this might have some potential. I like the shape and colors more than the letters but its on to something. Has there been a pro sports team in America that utilized a pentagon as their primary logo shape? I think it would be really interesting. I get the whole token reference with the pentagon inside of the circle, but I think its a bit too literal for me.

I actually think that this might have some potential. I like the shape and colors more than the letters but its on to something. Has there been a pro sports team in America that utilized a pentagon as their primary logo shape? I think it would be really interesting. I get the whole token reference with the pentagon inside of the circle, but I think its a bit too literal for me.

The pentagon is a fine idea but it is the "FC" on the inside that kills it. It should be NY or NYC and have a slightly different font.

The pentagon is a fine idea but it is the "FC" on the inside that kills it. It should be NY or NYC and have a slightly different font.

I think you're missing the point. The pentagram is NYC. It represents the 5 boroughs.

Anyone else think they should be called New York City?

No turning back at this point. Their team name, jersey sponsor, badge, and even arena are all Red Bull. I don't think its an identity problem. They have actually had a consistent branding since their first year as the Red Bulls. Their jerseys have stayed almost exactly the same year after year. They have the star players. I think their main problem was building their arena so far from the city. But I think the Red Bulls DESPERATELY need to win an MLS Cup before NYCFC comes into town, otherwise they will be screwed.

Red Bull New Jersey would be a much better name. Stop trying to be New York when there is an actual New York team. Embrace NJ and make that your base. Create a great rivalry between NJ and NY.

Bottom line, as long as there is an actual NY team, a team in NJ claiming NY will always play second fiddle.

Obviously because we all know that the NYC metro area ends precisely at the NY/NJ state line. It's common knowledge to sports fans, as well as soccer fans, everywhere.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I think you're missing the point. The pentagram is NYC. It represents the 5 boroughs.

I get the point but it would still be better served with an NY or NYC

Also when has a pentagram ever represented NYC in anything that people would automatically know?

Should the Jets and Giants rename as well?

You are missing the point to what he is saying.

He is saying that having a team named New York, hoping to represent NYC, in New Jersey is kind of stupid when there is going to be a team in NYC. This is completely different from the Jets & Giants that have no team in New York City to compete with.

I found a link to this concept from a USA Today article and thought it was awesome so I am going to put a link to it here.

1672748-slide-image-1.png

http://www.fastcodes...-subway-token#1

I don't mind the approach, but would rather it have a more retro feel. Maybe use some sort of interlocking NY in the middle and replace the light blue with orange. Even if the Yankees are part owners, the orange/blue is representative of New York City.

The MLS is having a design contest right now for a logo and many of the enteries they showed had orange and blue.

Unfortunately the link to it is now broken.

Edit: Here is the link fro Design Football (the people running the competition for the MLS)

http://www.designfoo...fc-competition/

I really like this concept, it looks quite modern and would work as a global brand but also contains elements that the locals will relate to. Initially I didn't get the pentagram. I do expect the actual logo to have a Yankees style overlap.

logo.png

I get the point but it would still be better served with an NY or NYC

Also when has a pentagram ever represented NYC in anything that people would automatically know?

Should the Jets and Giants rename as well?

You are missing the point to what he is saying.

He is saying that having a team named New York, hoping to represent NYC, in New Jersey is kind of stupid when there is going to be a team in NYC. This is completely different from the Jets & Giants that have no team in New York City to compete with.

So had the Jets moved to Manhattan, the Giants would have changed?

This would be my response if I was Red Bull:

3t59kj.jpg

Archived