Rare team matchups

Yeah, that's a beautiful matchup. Whenever the Panthers played in Tampa Bay, (before the whole one helmet rule) they always broke out the Creamsicles. I always appreciated that.

One time. They did that exactly one time, in 2011. The Bucs wore the throwbacks from 2008-12, but against a different opponent each year.

front.jpg

Russ Courtnall spent a few years with the Stars franchise, but only one with the Minnesota-specific uni

What matchup is that?

My bad. I accidentally posted this here instead of 'Players in wrong uniforms.'

Mods, can you move this post to its rightful thread?

No pictures again, but in 1992, the pullover jersey/beltless trousered Cincinnati Reds met the St. Louis Cardinals in their new belted trouser/button-front jersey in what is more-or-less the current look for the latter team.

UBwef0L.png

388060.jpg?v=2&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf

First year for those Leafs unis with the bigger lettering/numbering, last year of the original Shark jerseys

There was a time when I thought those Nike skates were the coolest things on the planet. Especially Fedorov's white skates, but they look really silly now.

The Sharks are the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NHL. Knocked it out of the park on their first try and have been downgrading ever since.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There was a time when I thought those Nike skates were the coolest things on the planet. Especially Fedorov's white skates, but they look really silly now.

The Sharks are the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NHL. Knocked it out of the park on their first try and have been downgrading ever since.

Alternatively, they're the Florida Marlins of the NHL. And I'm in the same boat with those Nike Skates. I didn't even play hockey and I thought they were the coolest thing ever.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

ladainian_tomlinson_2006_12_31.jpg

From 2006, the last year of the 1988 set for the Chargers, and year two for the current set for the Cardinals.

A bit off-topic, but I always thought that Chargers set was a bit underrated. The one they have now is better (especially the logo/helmet), but I think the 1988-2006 set was better than the one that it followed.

• Like 1

preview.jpg

Wait... what? Maybe you meant to post the version of the Dolphins unis that came right before the Oilers move to Tennessee, but these uniforms were in circulation together for quite some time.

You mean the same year the Oilers moved to Tennessee. The Dolphins' logo change and the Oilers' move both happened in 1997. Using pro-football-reference, I was able to date this photo to November 17, 1996. Karim Abdul-Jabbar is the ballcarrier, and James Roberson is the defensive lineman on the ground. The then-new-look Dolphins hosted the Tennessee Oilers early in the 1997 season, which is where I'm guessing the picture posted as a response to this is from. (Guessing because it's not showing up, so I can't look at it.) Side note: Once I realized this was the pre-1997 Dolphins, I thought the running back was Sammie Smith, but the only Oilers #90 Smith's Dolphins played against was Ezra Johnson, a former Packer first-rounder who by now was 36 and in his final season (and who registered 55.5 sacks despite his first six seasons coming before sacks were an official stat), in 1991. Sorry for the bunny trail.

5247-109Fr.jpg

These jerseys coincided for only two seasons interconference-wise (1995 lockout), and Florida only made two trips to Edmonton when both teams had these jerseys (This is from 1/5/1996)

So this trading card is from the 1996-97 UDCC set? It looks very, very similar to their 1995-96 NBA set, of which I once bought a box.