Rare team matchups

LIONS-BILLS.jpg

First year of those Bills uniforms, last year of those Lions uniforms

Good one! That's the second biggest "wow" moment for me on this thread after pewter Bucs vs. old Jets.

PS: How good do the Lions look here? So very, very good.

Of course the Lions look good here. Any team would against that Bills set. Still, though, that Lions set was great. Nothing they've worn since the introduction of black to their color scheme has come close to how they looked before.

From 2006, the last year of the 1988 set for the Chargers, and year two for the current set for the Cardinals.

A bit off-topic, but I always thought that Chargers set was a bit underrated. The one they have now is better (especially the logo/helmet), but I think the 1988-2006 set was better than the one that it followed.

Yes and no. You're right that set was underrated. It was incredible. But the current set is an atrocious mash-up of crap, worse than its predecessor in every way.

• Like 1
OldRomanSig2.jpg

AP99121201183.jpg

Thrashers' expansion year, also the last year the Ducks wore those rare late 90s stripey alternates

That's a good one. If you asked me if the Ducks were still using those uniforms in 1999 I would've confidently said no.

PvO6ZWJ.png

From 2006, the last year of the 1988 set for the Chargers, and year two for the current set for the Cardinals.

A bit off-topic, but I always thought that Chargers set was a bit underrated. The one they have now is better (especially the logo/helmet), but I think the 1988-2006 set was better than the one that it followed.

Yes and no. You're right that set was underrated. It was incredible. But the current set is an atrocious mash-up of crap, worse than its predecessor in every way.

See, I think the Chargers' current logo is incredible. I love the incorporation of powder blue into their color scheme even when they're not wearing that color jersey. I'm not fond of the jersey template or the pants template. I like that they still have the bolts on both the jerseys and the pants, although the sleeve-ish bolts don't look nearly as good as the huge shoulder bolts that they wore before. I just think the uniform template is too mid-2000s bland and safe and generic. Plus, while their white helmet looks good on its own, it doesn't fit nearly as well with their unis as a navy blue one would. They should add a yellow or white outline outside the navy blue one on the very outside part of the logo, and stick it on a navy helmet. Then they'd look pretty good, I think. I'm generally not fond of dark-blue-and-bright-yellow color schemes without any other supporting colors, because they make me think of That School Up North. I liked it in the Chargers' case for some reason, but I like their overall color scheme better with the addition of the powder blue. Sorry for posting this on the wrong board. lol

ladainian_tomlinson_2006_12_31.jpg

Also, the Cardinals' current set has been blech! from day one for me. Only the black alternate looks decent, and they shouldn't even have a black alternate!

• 2 weeks later...

frozen_inside060607.jpg

First year of the post-Disney Ducks, last year of those Sens unis

(Not only was this a Cup Finals, but considering both teams did not play each other that regular season- this was when the NHL overemphasized divisional play- this was the only scenario where these jerseys would meet up at the same time)

• 2 weeks later...

preview.jpg

Wait... what? Maybe you meant to post the version of the Dolphins unis that came right before the Oilers move to Tennessee, but these uniforms were in circulation together for quite some time.

Using pro-football-reference, I was able to date this photo to November 17, 1996. Karim Abdul-Jabbar is the ballcarrier, and James Roberson is the defensive lineman on the ground.
I thought this was a joke at first. I looked it up and much to my surprise it is not.

preview.jpg

Wait... what? Maybe you meant to post the version of the Dolphins unis that came right before the Oilers move to Tennessee, but these uniforms were in circulation together for quite some time.

Using pro-football-reference, I was able to date this photo to November 17, 1996. Karim Abdul-Jabbar is the ballcarrier, and James Roberson is the defensive lineman on the ground.
I thought this was a joke at first. I looked it up and much to my surprise it is not.

Yeah, you don't remember Karim?! Granted, he was no Kareem...

5247-109Fr.jpg

These jerseys coincided for only two seasons interconference-wise (1995 lockout), and Florida only made two trips to Edmonton when both teams had these jerseys (This is from 1/5/1996)

So this trading card is from the 1996-97 UDCC set? It looks very, very similar to their 1995-96 NBA set, of which I once bought a box.

Yep 1996/97 Upper Deck Collectors Choice. Great set of cards.

First year of those Mavs' jerseys, last year of the 90s era Spurs uni

Also the only season the Mavericks in that jersey played in the Alamodome.

(Mavs had the new angry horse logo that year, Spurs' final year with the old 'Purple and blue in the logo' main logo.

5247-109Fr.jpg

These jerseys coincided for only two seasons interconference-wise (1995 lockout), and Florida only made two trips to Edmonton when both teams had these jerseys (This is from 1/5/1996)

So this trading card is from the 1996-97 UDCC set? It looks very, very similar to their 1995-96 NBA set, of which I once bought a box.
Yep 1996/97 Upper Deck Collectors Choice. Great set of cards.

To me, the three best hockey card sets ever- that one, and both 1992-93/1993-94 Score Canadian

51660244-john-stockton-of-the-utah-jazz-

1997: Nets' Last and Jazz' First

1400343-center-dikembe-mutombo-of-the-de

1993: Nuggets' Last and Suns' First

0e62eca731352139061f9fec8db43afb.jpg

2000: Suns' Last and Hawks' First

51548943-cleveland-cavaliers-terrell-bra

1994 feat. ECF Finalists

51994526-new-york-knicks-anthony-harper-

1995: Knicks' second-to-last (barely worn w/ new alts released) and Hawks' first

57332203-damon-stoudamire-of-the-toronto

1995 Preseason

OOY1cBC.png

BONUS: 1995-96 Preseason: 93-95 Hawks uni vs. 95-03 Rockets uni

Edited by PepMan33Conde