Rare team matchups

Here's one: Patriots at Cardinals, 2004. It was the last year before the modern uniforms for the Cardinals and the only time their classic uniforms met the modern Patriots.

30728--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg?width=620&rooseveltcolvinvsaz.jpg.w300h226.jpg

Those empty seats up top sum up the cardinals before the move to the new stadium.

That looks like a decently filled stadium

Here in Green Bay we call that empty of a stadium "2 hours before kickoff"

• Like 2

Orange Crush Broncos taking on the Jaguars in the 1996 playoffs.

353819_display_image_original_original_d

When the Jaguars actually had a good uniform set!

I still remember watching that game. I was ticked off that the Broncos lost and then stunned the following preseason to see them in their new getup. That look was one of the best in NFL history. The Jags' look right there was fantastic too.

New Falcons playing the blue mask Colts

2820706-linebacker-artie-ulmer-of-the-at

I just never get tired of these one timers

2021499-running-back-shaun-alexander-of-

51618072-new-york-jets-running-back-jera

The Giants player making the tackle there is Phillippi Sparks, father of American Idol winner Jordin Sparks. The more you know...

• Like 2

^ On another note, where the heck are they playing at in that Jets/Giants game? Because by the time Giants Stadium went to grass (for a few seasons) in 2000, the Giants introduced their retro look....

this is a great question

Edit: I found an actual 1999 regular season game photo. I also found out that they met in '96, '99, '03 in that order, which seemingly makes the above picture impossible. Im confused.

performances4s-1-web.jpg

^ On another note, where the heck are they playing at in that Jets/Giants game? Because by the time Giants Stadium went to grass (for a few seasons) in 2000, the Giants introduced their retro look....

this is a great question

Edit: I found an actual 1999 regular season game photo. I also found out that they met in '96, '99, '03 in that order, which seemingly makes the above picture impossible. Im confused.

performances4s-1-web.jpg

A temporary grass field was used this summer for soccer games and for preseason football games, but it was removed after the Kickoff Classic college game on Aug. 29. On three consecutive days the grass field had been used for the college teams' practices, the Jets-Giants exhibition game and the Kickoff Classic.

The grass field received rave reviews from players and from Giants Coach Jim Fassel. Management for both the Giants and the MetroStars once again supported making it a year-round field.
Gutman said last month that the Jets did not yet have enough information to make a decision on grass for the 2000 season. Parcells added, ''Someone has got to convince me you can play 26 games on grass in one year.''
Between 16 Jets and Giants regular-season home games, 4 preseason games and college and high school games, Giants Stadium can play host to as many as 25 football games a year, plus other events, like concerts and marching band competitions.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/14/sports/pro-football-jets-can-make-the-call-turf-or-grass.html

this is a great question

performances4s-1-web.jpg

A temporary grass field was used this summer for soccer games and for preseason football games, but it was removed after the Kickoff Classic college game on Aug. 29. On three consecutive days the grass field had been used for the college teams' practices, the Jets-Giants exhibition game and the Kickoff Classic.

The grass field received rave reviews from players and from Giants Coach Jim Fassel. Management for both the Giants and the MetroStars once again supported making it a year-round field.
Gutman said last month that the Jets did not yet have enough information to make a decision on grass for the 2000 season. Parcells added, ''Someone has got to convince me you can play 26 games on grass in one year.''
Between 16 Jets and Giants regular-season home games, 4 preseason games and college and high school games, Giants Stadium can play host to as many as 25 football games a year, plus other events, like concerts and marching band competitions.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/14/sports/pro-football-jets-can-make-the-call-turf-or-grass.html

thanks buddy

I'll say this in general, many of these recent NFL shots just keep bolstering my opinion that the NFL looked at its best from around 1997-2002. All of those matchups are so good.

Scratch anything involving the 2000-and-later Patriots and 2002 Bills, and go back to 1995 so we can get some shots of the Orange Crush Broncos and the pre-"midnight green" Eagles, and you have my vote.

Another one-time only matchup that there are no pics of, again: In 1988, the San Diego Chargers modified their look, and in their first year of that uniform set, met the red-helmeted Atlanta Falcons for the only time.

The following year, the 1978-89 New York Jets uniform set met those same Navy Blue Chargers for the lone time before the Jets added black accents in 1990. I have a picture of that matchup, unlike the other one:

78198200-1980s-wide-receiver-wesley-walk

• Like 2

UBwef0L.png