Rare team matchups

This is actually the first and last time you ever see this.

Now it's Burgundy and Yellow Gold vs Scarlet Red and Pewter. Plus it took til 1994 for these two to actually face each other. Now I am used to the Saints vs Buccaneers because they play a lot even when they were not in the same division.

466007847-darrell-green-of-the-washingto

That actually looks really good. I miss those DC uniforms every week.

The NFL's divisional heavy schedules back then created a lot of odd scheduling quirks. Like the Buccaneers didn't play at Buffalo until 2009. The first 8 times they met were all in Tampa.

PvO6ZWJ.png

We're beginning to get to that point in sports aesthetics - especially in the NBA - where we rarely see the same matchup twice. Even in division games when the teams play twice at home and twice on the road, unless it's the Knicks and Celtics playing (and even they could wear a throwback or black-trimmed alt), you might not see the same uniform matchup in the same calendar year.

This is actually the first and last time you ever see this.

Now it's Burgundy and Yellow Gold vs Scarlet Red and Pewter. Plus it took til 1994 for these two to actually face each other. Now I am used to the Saints vs Buccaneers because they play a lot even when they were not in the same division.

466007847-darrell-green-of-the-washingto

What's rare about this

Sometimes it was blackouted!

Cowboys vs. Redskins, only time this combo happened, 1981:

tony_dorsett_1981_09_06.jpg

Cowboys had redesigned their blue jersey, but by the middle of the season, they had added a blue separation between the silver number and white outline.

Also, looking around, I found this Rams jersey I hadn't seen before:

deacon_pg_600.jpg

That's Deacon Jones, so this happened sometime between his rookie year in 1961 and 1966, when the Rams dropped yellow temporarily. No Packers NOB, so that may be a clue.

• Like 3

Also, looking around, I found this Rams jersey I hadn't seen before:

deacon_pg_600.jpg

That's Deacon Jones, so this happened sometime between his rookie year in 1961 and 1966, when the Rams dropped yellow temporarily. No Packers NOB, so that may be a clue.

HOORAY! The 1962-1963 Los Angeles Rams UCLA look. ^_^ I wish I can emulate that look with yellow pants! ^_^ You made my day, sir! Thank you for this image. ^_^

I'll say this in general, many of these recent NFL shots just keep bolstering my opinion that the NFL looked at its best from around 1997-2002. All of those matchups are so good.

Scratch anything involving the 2000-and-later Patriots and 2002 Bills, and go back to 1995 so we can get some shots of the Orange Crush Broncos and the pre-"midnight green" Eagles, and you have my vote.

This was when the Eagles wore white against the Orange Crush Broncos.

john_elway_1989_10_29.jpg

• Like 1

I figured I would post this because any good quality photos from the 1994 season is a rarity itself. Here we have the Raiders and Broncos in throwbacks. This whole scenario is weird for a variety of reasons.

KPRlrD0.jpg

Damn this is a beauty of a picture. Referee with a jeff cap, 2 beautiful uniforms, Dirt infield, And some serious neck pad action.