Rare team matchups

On 2/23/2016 at 2:29 PM, johnnysama said:

warren_sapp_1996_10_13.jpg

Only happened in two matchups in 1996; first year of the tweaked Vikings uniforms and the last for the Creamsicle Buccaneers.

Video, but those same Vikings met the Broncos that same year in that teams final year of the classic Orange Crush unis.

I wasn't aware the Vikes made a signficant change in '96. They kept the UCLA stripes on the roads (classic) and...did the home change? I honestly can't tell.

On 2/23/2016 at 4:07 PM, SabresRule7361 said:

2002-03: First year of those Kings jerseys/last year of the Star 'A' Magic on jerseys

%7Boption%7DAP02111702255.jpg[

Those Magic unis were pretty good. Have they had anything good since? I feel like they've really squandered the potential of that name lately...and not just with their play.

• Like 1

I'd say it was an evolution, but the changes weren't insignificant. They added outlines to the numbers and the sleeve stripes became yellow-white-yellow sleeve cuffs. 

1995298657_10.jpg

83741973-minnesota-vikings-defensive-tac

But yeah the helmets, pants, socks, and road shoulder stripes all stayed the same. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, johnnysama said:

49ers-Bengals-1996-008.jpg

Only time the white-pants 49ers met the Bengals (1996); by 1999, both teams made a few changes to their looks. While we're on the subject of the Bengals....

2826178-brandon-manumaleuna-of-the-st-lo

The only time these two uniform sets met in 2003.

What I wouldn't give to get either of those Bengals looks back...

• Like 5

On 2/25/2016 at 4:03 PM, MCM0313 said:

Those Magic unis were pretty good. Have they had anything good since? I feel like they've really squandered the potential of that name lately...and not just with their play.

I still think the original Magic unis were the best they've ever had.  There was no need to ever change them.  That set looks just as good today as it did when the franchise was born. IMO, everything has gotten progressively worse since then.

• Like 2

On February 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM, SabresRule7361 said:

2002-03: First year of those Kings jerseys/last year of the Star 'A' Magic on jerseys

%7Boption%7DAP02111702255.jpg[

T-Mac doesn't look too happy, but I'm not too sure I'd be pleased as punch having to carry those Magic teams with Grant Hill injured either. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I still think the original Magic unis were the best they've ever had.  There was no need to ever change them.  That set looks just as good today as it did when the franchise was born. IMO, everything has gotten progressively worse since then.

I agree that the original is their best look. I also think, as mentioned above, that the Vince Carter unis were pretty good. For sure, though, they've gone downhill design-wise in recent years. Too conservative for a team with their name.

Another noteworthy thing about that 2003 Rams/Bengals matchup: Riall Johnson's FNOB is there. That was because the 2003 Bengals squad had four guys with the last name Johnson that year (the other three were Jeremi, Rudi, and of course, Chad 'Ochocinco').

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png

• 1 month later...

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/austen-lane-of-the-jacksonville-jaguars-pressures-matthew-stafford-of-picture-id155473733

Only meeting ever between those two uniform sets, in 2012. The next meeting this year will have the Jags in their completely different uniform set, and the Lions will be due for a change in the not-too-distant future.

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png

• 1 month later...

San Jose Sharks vs Team USA  in 1994 scrimmage which I believe may have been the last Olympics where the Olympic Teams scrimmaged the NHL teams, because after that the Olympic Teams were made up of NHL players. Believe they also scrimmaged the 92 Olympic team as well. 

usa-sharks-picture-21.jpg?w=604&h=400

usa-sharks-picture-51.jpg

• Like 1