Rare team matchups

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:44 PM, johnnysama said:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/austen-lane-of-the-jacksonville-jaguars-pressures-matthew-stafford-of-picture-id155473733

Only meeting ever between those two uniform sets, in 2012. The next meeting this year will have the Jags in their completely different uniform set, and the Lions will be due for a change in the not-too-distant future.

They probably would have updated their logo either way, but I wonder if the Jags would have kept the teal sheen to the helmet, and perhaps some of the uniform design elements, had they had success in that set. It would be great if they had those teal-in-the-sunlight ones still instead of the two-toned abortions they wear now.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, johnnysama said:

While I cannot find a pic, the first-year Orlando Magic met the last year of the 'stars-and-stripes' New Jersey Nets in their first game ever in 1989; the Nets changed their look after that season.

Too bad you can't find a pic of it - that'd be really cool to see.

4 hours ago, Justin7218 said:

Pats-Bucs in 1997

PATS BUCS RARE.jpg

To date, that is the only time that the Patriots have been to Raymond James Stadium; the last four times the Bucs and Pats have met, three of them were in Foxboro (2000, 2005, 2013), and the meeting that would have been in Tampa (2009) was in London instead.

The Patriots finally figure to come to Tampa again in 2017. 

EDIT: Scratch that - 1997 was the last year at Tampa Stadium, so the Pats have never played a regular season game at Raymond James. So 2017 would be the first time for that.

• Like 1

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

To date, that is the only time that the Patriots have been to Raymond James Stadium; the last four times the Bucs and Pats have met, three of them were in Foxboro (2000, 2005, 2013), and the meeting that would have been in Tampa (2009) was in London instead.

The Patriots finally figure to come to Tampa again in 2017. 

EDIT: Scratch that - 1997 was the last year at Tampa Stadium, so the Pats have never played a regular season game at Raymond James. So 2017 would be the first time for that.

I love scheduling quirks like that. It's amazing that something like that can happen.

• Like 1

The Giants and Dolphins had a quirk like that last year too that ended when they met for Monday Night Football around Week 13 or 14. I think the Giants hadn't come to Miami since 1993; they, too, had a would-be meeting in Miami in 2007 that was at Wembley instead. I'm sure there are a few other quirks like that; quirks that pre-date the post-2002 scheduling alignment. I don't have the interest in digging into it ATM, but just a quick look at the London games, which were originally inter-conference but that has kinda softened in recent years, could probably unearth a few 15+ year gaps of one team visiting the other's stadium, I imagine.

• Like 2

spacer.png

On 6/15/2016 at 5:19 PM, johnnysama said:

While I cannot find a pic, the first-year Orlando Magic met the last year of the 'stars-and-stripes' New Jersey Nets in their first game ever in 1989; the Nets changed their look after that season.

corzine.jpg

• Like 5

I know this is completely off-topic, but I had to post it. I was looking up pictures of Eagles-Jets in 1996 (First year of midnight green for the Eagles, and last year of kelly green for the Jets). I couldn't find any good pictures of the game, but I did find the picture below. It's Brian Dawkins wearing #24 in the preseason of his rookie year in 1996. As a huge Eagles fan, it's weird seeing Dawkins in anything other than #20.

RARE 3 BRIAN DAWKINS 24.jpg