Rare team matchups

12 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Here's another sneaky rare one:

ATP2001120102.jpg

AP02010603017.jpg

These unis only coincided for two years- the final two when the Rams and Falcons were NFC West rivals.

Didn't play in 2002, and the Falcons changed their unis by the time they met up in 2003 on a MNF and the 2004 NFC Divisional Playoffs.

Those Falcon road unis were my favorite uniform combo, and still remain to this day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harmening said:

Those Falcon road unis were my favorite uniform combo, and still remain to this day.

I'm not even a fan of red and black, and I loved that whole set from 1997-2002. The red numbers made the roads pop and the home blacks were just so...cool, just like the logo. That logo was aloof in a Pink Panther (cartoon) sort of way.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2016 at 0:27 AM, phutmasterflex said:

To keep a winning streak alive, the A's for the only time ever wore gold tops (which they had worn during their win streak at home) on the road five years ago. The players assumed that the gold tops were only for home games, so they were bummed that they couldn't wear them. But that actually was never a rule for their unis so equipment manager Steve Vucinich brought the gold tops along without telling anyone. The players found out when they got to the clubhouse that they could wear the gold tops. They wore it for the series and have never worn the gold tops on the road since. 

The old road caps as well with the Mets in their black outline unis during interleague. 

athletics_mets_117117770.jpg

I'm a diehard A's fan and I never knew they wore the golds on the road. That's a hell of a story.

• Like 2

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/sep-1996-vinny-testeverde-of-the-baltimore-ravens-is-sacked-by-kevin-picture-id232394

This one is rare because 1) this occurred in 1996, the first year of the Baltimore Ravens, and 2) the last year that the Steelers had block numbers and names on their uniform set before the switch to Futura. These uniform sets only played each other twice.

UBwef0L.png

3 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

One of the only AFL legacy games that wasn't against another original AFL team.

Anthony_Fasano_Jets-Dolphin_game,_Nov_2009_-_040.jpg

I just want to make a note that the more I look at Miami's old uniforms, the more I start to miss them.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2016 at 2:22 PM, Kramerica Industries said:

The Giants and Dolphins had a quirk like that last year too that ended when they met for Monday Night Football around Week 13 or 14. I think the Giants hadn't come to Miami since 1993; they, too, had a would-be meeting in Miami in 2007 that was at Wembley instead. I'm sure there are a few other quirks like that; quirks that pre-date the post-2002 scheduling alignment. I don't have the interest in digging into it ATM, but just a quick look at the London games, which were originally inter-conference but that has kinda softened in recent years, could probably unearth a few 15+ year gaps of one team visiting the other's stadium, I imagine.

I'm late responding to this, but my favorite scheduling quirk was that the Buccaneers didn't visit Buffalo until 2009. 33 years! The Bills and Bucs had met 8 times before that, but somehow all 8 games were played in Tampa. Explain that one to me. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I'm late responding to this, but my favorite scheduling quirk was that the Buccaneers didn't visit Buffalo until 2009. 33 years! The Bills and Bucs had met 8 times before that, but somehow all 8 games were played in Tampa. Explain that one to me. 

I know what you mean it took the Steelers 8 season from 2007-2014 to visit San Diego 

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Honestly, I was never even aware of this one. Maybe something was said about it when they met back in 2009 (Week 2, IIRC) but that was seven years ago now and a long-forgotten memory if it ever was one. And, of course, for all the Bills' Super Bowl heart-break, their biggest heart-break came in Tampa as well in SB XXV. 

That's definitely a strange one. Can't figure out why that ever happened. As is, the Bucs are scheduled to return to Buffalo in 2017.

spacer.png

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:59 PM, johnnysama said:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/sep-1996-vinny-testeverde-of-the-baltimore-ravens-is-sacked-by-kevin-picture-id232394

This one is rare because 1) this occurred in 1996, the first year of the Baltimore Ravens, and 2) the last year that the Steelers had block numbers and names on their uniform set before the switch to Futura. These uniform sets only played each other twice.

And an interesting fact about the two games: Both ended with a score of 31-17, with the Steelers winning the first matchup and the Ravens getting the victory in the second.

23 hours ago, The SHOW said:

Here's some more

1991 Padres vs Phillies

Padres 1st season with new uniforms vs Phillies final season before their current uniforms.

Angels 1st season in their little league uniform vs Brewers in their final season in the AL

1991 also featured the Padres meeting the racing-stripe Montreal Expos as well, the only season those two uniform sets coincided.

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png

On 7/11/2016 at 7:08 AM, McCarthy said:

50 minutes ago, johnnysama said:

1991 also featured the Padres meeting the racing-stripe Montreal Expos as well, the only season those two uniform sets coincided.

I know what you mean it took the Steelers 10 season from 2005-2014 to visit San Diego 

That's right and also 2004 when the Padres first season in their new uniforms vs Expos final season 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...