Rare team matchups

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

Yes. Only 5 weeks apart too. It was a weird schedule quirk. 

Huh...when did that stop? I remember when I'd play the old Football Pro computer games (think mid-90s), I'd occasionally get matched up twice in one season against a non-divisional opponent, and that always frustrated me because I felt like it was unrealistic. I think sometimes it'd be a non-conference opponent too though.

9 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Huh...when did that stop? I remember when I'd play the old Football Pro computer games (think mid-90s), I'd occasionally get matched up twice in one season against a non-divisional opponent, and that always frustrated me because I felt like it was unrealistic. I think sometimes it'd be a non-conference opponent too though.

I would guess it stopped when the divisions all had an equal number of teams. I think it was 1995, when Jacksonville and Carolina came entered the league and there were 30 teams.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I would guess it stopped when the divisions all had an equal number of teams. I think it was 1995, when Jacksonville and Carolina came entered the league and there were 30 teams.

But what happened when the Browns came back in 1999?

The Texans evened it out a few years later.

Go A's!

1982-83 was the season the Hartford Whalers & Philadelphia Flyers both wore the infamous Cooperalls. They faced each other 3 times that season, with Hartford winning on Dec. 11 and Philadelphia taking both games of a home-and-home on Jan. 8 & 9. No pics, but I found a highlight package of the Dec. 11 game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Indeed. Prior to 1995, there were only four teams in the AFC Central and NFC West, so the other divisions' fifth-placers had to play each other twice to fit the schedule formula.

9 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

But what happened when the Browns came back in 1999?

The Browns' six nondivisional games per year from 1999-01 were games the other AFC Central teams would have normally played based on previous-year finish. The missing games from the other AFC divisions were made up by adding more AFC East vs. AFC West games to the schedule, similar to the Central/West arrangement from 1970-77. (Remember, pre-2002, it was impossible to have entire divisions face each other because there were an odd number of divisions per conference.)

• Like 1

OK, I'm at a loss on that one.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

13 hours ago, insert name said:

Now here's something I never knew existed until now. It was only used during the preseason in 1978. 

I remember hearing something about this.  The new helmets had come in time for the preseason, but there were issues with the new uniforms. It was only for like one or two preseason games.