Rare team matchups

Lions vs. Chargers 2007

First year in current Charger unis, second to last year in Lions old unis

chargers-ladainian-tomlinson-49-yard-run.jpg

The only difference between that Lions uniform and what they wear now is the number font...

...and the pants and helmet striping, and the logo.

And you call yourself a Lions fan, pfft. :P

To me, those aren't major changes. The Sanders-era look was the last iteration before what we have now, IMO. But that's a matter of opinion, I guess.

Wait, you don't consider a logo change, a pants stripe change and a helmet stripe change major changes?

Like I said, its opinion. Overall, the look is remarkably similar. Sure, those are notable changes, but it's not a totally different "look" IMO. There's the Sanders-era look, and the post-Sanders with black added look. Changing stripes and a logo (that's based off the original, anyway) aren't a major change to the overall aesthetic of the uniform in my book. That's what I'm saying.

This had to be a one game deal. 90vtn.jpg

I am actually curious about this one. I believe those Ravens uniforms (with the white pants) were used for two years- the same two years that the franchise was the TN Oilers. The Oilers played one year at Vandy (turf field, so this isn't it) and one in Memphis. They usually wore white for their home games during those two years, and since both teams were in the AFC Central at the time, this precise uniform matchup could have happened 4 times over those two years. I still wonder if this picture is from Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium or Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.

This had to be a one game deal. 90vtn.jpg

I am actually curious about this one. I believe those Ravens uniforms (with the white pants) were used for two years- the same two years that the franchise was the TN Oilers. The Oilers played one year at Vandy (turf field, so this isn't it) and one in Memphis. They usually wore white for their home games during those two years, and since both teams were in the AFC Central at the time, this precise uniform matchup could have happened 4 times over those two years. I still wonder if this picture is from Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium or Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.

Judging by the concrete wall in the background, I'm 100% sure it's the Liberty Bowl, September 21, 1997. McNair wore long sleeves in Baltimore in December, 1997. New stadium in Baltimore opened in 1998.

This particular uniform matchup (white TN Oilers, purple/white Ravens with old logos) did happen all four times they met from '97-98.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

More of a rare jersey match up. Canucks only wore the skate logo for the first 2 years of the Ave's being in the NHL

mclean.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if the canucks ever wore that salmon coloured third jersey against the avs.

Possibly, but it took my 20 min just to find this picture.

Yeah, the Avs did play the Canucks when the Canucks wore the red third jerseys. 1996-97 season. Will try to find a picture.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Not gonna quote what drdougfresh said because that'd be much too big of a post.

But your telling me this is not a different look? I think it totally is from the logo change, helment stripe, font, and the darker shade of blue.

2pyzx2f.jpg1fdyu1.jpg

Key word: MAJOR. Yes, they're different. Never said they weren't. What I'm saying is its not a major change in my eyes. Not as distinct as most of the matchups in this thread. Just depends on how nitpicky you want to be, I guess. But yes, technically speaking, those are different uniforms...

Not gonna quote what drdougfresh said because that'd be much too big of a post.

But your telling me this is not a different look? I think it totally is from the logo change, helment stripe, font, and the darker shade of blue.

2pyzx2f.jpg1fdyu1.jpg

Key word: MAJOR. Yes, they're different. Never said they weren't. What I'm saying is its not a major change in my eyes. Not as distinct as most of the matchups in this thread. Just depends on how nitpicky you want to be, I guess. But yes, technically speaking, those are different uniforms...

I would call that a major change, the only thing that is the same is the color of the helmet jersey and pants

No.

They were in a division with each other from 1993 through 2004. The last Expos game was against the Marlins.

Those uniforms played each other from 1993 through 2002. So ten seasons.

PvO6ZWJ.png

9-19-2004%20Phillies%20vs%20Expos%20054%20(3)-M.jpg

Expos Vs Phillies @ CItizens Bank Park in 2004. Actually that is who we played in the first regular season game at citizens bank park.

I actually saw them twice that year! 2005 they would be the nationals.

I suppose you can say the same for expos vs padres in petco park.

To clarify, I meant since interleague play started in 1997. New York has been the visitor in 2004 and 2010, but the Dodgers haven't been there for a regular season game.

I think the Yankees have been to LA three times, actually.

It's pretty mind-boggling that probably the most historic inter-league (not interleague) rivalry has seen the Dodgers not make the trek to Yankee Stadium until the 17th year of IL play. They've only met in the World Series 11 times before.

spacer.png