nash61

Rare team matchups

Recommended Posts

500_F_147098289_We58CZe6tvG6T449CtG2wj2O

This is an undocumented one off. October 20th 2001 Montreal vs Calgary, I get what Calgary is wearing though with the wrong pants, but what is Montreal wearing? I've seen nothing like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Only Regular season matchup involving the Black facemasked Steelers and the Gray facemasked Rams. Of course they ended up playing each other the next year too. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1976-grey-cup-cfl-canadian-football-442131593 - Going north of the border, but the third pic in this 1977 CFL yearbook featured a rare one-time matchup: The 1977 Toronto Argonauts changed their logo to a newer version of the "boat football" logo (which is still loved among fans of that team) and 1977 was the final year the BC Lions wore their black helmets with the older-style BC logo. They changed their logo the next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Broncos have worn navy against the Saints only twice in the preseason ('98 & '01)...never in the regular season.

August 14, 1998  Preseason Week 2

Image result for saints vs broncos 1998

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IceBurgs70 said:

The Broncos have worn navy against the Saints only twice in the preseason ('98 & '01)...never in the regular season.

August 14, 1998  Preseason Week 2

Image result for saints vs broncos 1998

Have the Saints worn gold numerals on white jerseys against the Nike-fied Broncos any other time? I feel like probably not. I was surprised to see those as late as 1998.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Have the Saints worn gold numerals on white jerseys against the Nike-fied Broncos any other time? I feel like probably not. I was surprised to see those as late as 1998.

 

 1998 was the last year of the Saints' gold numerals on their road whites.  They switched to black numerals for 1999 and modernized the Fleur-de-lis in 2000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the most 90s NFL matchup?

 

90s Patriots @ Teal Jaguars in 1997

 

nwEAnXm.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ark said:

Is this the most 90s NFL matchup?

 

90s Patriots @ Teal Jaguars in 1997

 

nwEAnXm.jpg

 

I see your 90's photo and I raise you Ravens @ 49ers November 17, 1996

 

Image result for baltimore ravens 1996 49ers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IceBurgs70 said:

 

 1998 was the last year of the Saints' gold numerals on their road whites.  They switched to black numerals for 1999 and modernized the Fleur-de-lis in 2000.

 

The Broncos played the NFC West in 1997, but the Saints were a 5th place team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

 

The Broncos played the NFC West in 1997, but the Saints were a 5th place team.

??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IceBurgs70 said:

 

I see your 90's photo and I raise you Ravens @ 49ers November 17, 1996

 

Image result for baltimore ravens 1996 49ers

And including the mismatching 49ers numbers from that season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pacers Nike era vs the last year of the Grizzlies and Lakers 2000’s looks (I’m not counting the Nuggets since every team was a rare matchup)

11152017_pacers_grizzlies_murphy_0178-67

 

 

lakers_pacers_basketball_256600833.jpg?w

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 5:27 PM, simtek34 said:

??

 

Denver's 1997 interconference schedule had them playing the other NFC West teams (STL, SF, CAR, ATL) and they missed out playing New Orleans when the Broncos had navy unis on white pants and the Saints had gold numbers on white road unis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 2:36 PM, IceBurgs70 said:

 

I see your 90's photo and I raise you Ravens @ 49ers November 17, 1996

 

Image result for baltimore ravens 1996 49ers

 

That's also an interesting facemask being worn by Marquez Pope (#23). I don't think I recall ever seeing that QB-style mask with the "Deion bar" by the eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas Cowboys at Jacksonville Jaguars, September 10, 2006.  Only time the Cowboys have won blue against the Jags and also the only time Dallas has played in Jacksonville during the regular season.

 

Dallas Cowboys v Jacksonville Jaguars : News Photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 5:05 PM, IceBurgs70 said:

Dallas Cowboys at Jacksonville Jaguars, September 10, 2006.  Only time the Cowboys have won blue against the Jags and also the only time Dallas has played in Jacksonville during the regular season.

 

Dallas Cowboys v Jacksonville Jaguars : News Photo

Both teams look sharp here. A revamped full-body jag on the sleeve cap would do wonders for the Jaguars' current uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Both teams look sharp here. A revamped full-body jag on the sleeve cap would do wonders for the Jaguars' current uniforms.

 

I always thought those old Jaguars white pants would be perfect for the Ravens' current unis. Just switch the teal with purple and they'd be so much better than what the Ravens have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.