Toronto Raptors to get an overhaul? Maybe name change as well?

toostyling

The most famous Canadian associated with the sport of basketball:

drkesxy.jpg

Or you know, Steve Nash.

But technically, Nash isn't full Canadian since he was born in Johannesburg. At least Aubrey "Jimmy" Graham was born within the GTA area.

Well then we can wait for a year when the #1 pick is Canadian.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

drkesxy.jpg

Or you know, Steve Nash.

But technically, Nash isn't full Canadian since he was born in Johannesburg. At least Aubrey "Jimmy" Graham was born within the GTA area.

andrew_wiggins_small.jpg

Hi guys.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

drkesxy.jpg

Or you know, Steve Nash.

andrew_wiggins_small.jpg

Hi guys.

So, the "best" Canadian player is an All-American?

Besides, what Americans are calling Canadian teams "arrogant" for dressing up in maple leaves and calling themselves "Canada's Team"? Really, it's the basketball fans outside of Ontario who don't give a crap about the Raptors who think of it as "arrogant".

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

drkesxy.jpg

Or you know, Steve Nash.

andrew_wiggins_small.jpg

Hi guys.

So, the "best" Canadian player is an All-American?

tumblr_li1w8aRqNU1qdxa4wo1_500.jpg

Maybe when Andrew Wiggins gets drafted to the Raptors, that'd give them a good excuse to change their logo. Look at the what the Cavaliers in 2003 when they drafted hometown hero LeBron James.

The logo would have changed if the Cavs got LeBron or not.

Raptors isn't great, but it's unique. They've been around 20 years and have built a brand. It would be beyond dumb to change it now.

Why do teams do this?

well in the NBA teams like the Charlotte Hornets, Seattle Supersonics, and Bullets franchise thought it was a good idea so why not Raptors (and of course, the Bullets name was changed for a reason, and unless i'm forgetting something the hornets and sonics had no reason except new ownership, etc.)

The NBA needs to stop renaming teams.

spacer.png

Raptors isn't great, but it's unique. They've been around 20 years and have built a brand. It would be beyond dumb to change it now.

Why do teams do this?

well in the NBA teams like the Charlotte Hornets, Seattle Supersonics, and Bullets franchise thought it was a good idea so why not Raptors (and of course, the Bullets name was changed for a reason, and unless i'm forgetting something the hornets and sonics had no reason except new ownership, etc.)

The NBA needs to stop renaming teams.

The Sonics changed because they moved, and usually relocation is a good reason. The original Charlotte Hornets just changed from the New Orleans Hornets to a more regionally appropriate name and the Bobcats are changing "back" to the Charlotte Hornets to appeal to the desire of the fanbase, or at least the fanbase they aim to have.

Maybe when Andrew Wiggins gets drafted to the Raptors, that'd give them a good excuse to change their logo. Look at the what the Cavaliers in 2003 when they drafted hometown hero LeBron James.

The logo would have changed if the Cavs got LeBron or not.

This. I'm pretty sure they unveiled that uniform set at halftime of a game the year before they got LeBron.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Though they had some radical extreme 90's-erific uniforms and court that I loved and used thoroughly in NBA Live 98, they should've been named the Toronto Huskies from day one. Royal blue and white color scheme, maybe hints of some light blue and red would've been excellent. Plus, it has historic NBA ties.

Their current nickname feels incredibly dated and I think that's because the name Raptors just feels like someone involved with the team had watched Jurassic Park too recently. Did anyone know what a velociraptor was before that movie? If the team had started 3 years earlier they wouldn't be the Raptors, if they had started 3 years later when 'The Lost World' was a big dumb suckfest they definitely wouldn't have named themselves the Raptors. They fell into that pocket when a big hit movie made people excited about dinosaurs for a little bit (or maybe that was just me and my friends being kids and I'm remembering things differently).

There's no local tie-ins (that I know of. Does Toronto and/or the GTA have a prehistoric dinosaur history?), the animal is extinct, the logo doesn't even depict their most recent findings of how the actual animal looked, and it just feels like they got swept up in Jurasic Park mania. I say change it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If a Huskies logo can be designed that doesn't look like it aped the any former or current Timberwolves logo then I'd be open to it.

As for Raptors, I don't understand how people can gush over the Mighty Ducks' Disney look but can write the Raptors' name off as a lame attempt to cash in on a popular movie.

As for local tie-ins, the GTA itself doesn't have much of a fossil history, but Toronto's Royal Ontario Museum does have a substantial dinosaur fossil collection.

The Huskies were conceived as a date-filler for the Maple Leaf Gardens and played for one (1) season in a predecessor league to the NBA. They finished 16 games below .500, missed the playoffs, and had horrific attendance that caused the owners to lose roughly $100,000. Which back then was a big deal.

It is mindboggling that people wax nostalgic for this organization, and honestly there needs to be a better rationale for resurrecting it than "its old". Raptors is a perfectly fine name.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The more I read through this thread, the more I think the Raptors should try a royal blue & dark purple color scheme; as a nod to their past and to tie in with the rest of the city's teams except Toronto FC.

Archived