Toronto Raptors to get an overhaul? Maybe name change as well?

toostyling

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raptors isn't great, but it's unique. They've been around 20 years and have built a brand. It would be beyond dumb to change it now.

Why do teams do this?

well in the NBA teams like the Charlotte Hornets, Seattle Supersonics, and Bullets franchise thought it was a good idea so why not Raptors (and of course, the Bullets name was changed for a reason, and unless i'm forgetting something the hornets and sonics had no reason except new ownership, etc.)

The NBA needs to stop renaming teams.

1. Hornets moved, and should have changed it from day one.

2. Supersonics moved. I'm sure there was a pre-conceived notion of the Sonics coming back one day, and the NBA made sure the name stayed.

3. Bullets, even though I don't agree because it's superior to Wizards, was supposedly promoting violence. On that note, we should probably change Timberwolves and Grizzlies because they can attack people, or Suns because the sun is the leading cause of skin cancer)

sig.png

Really? That's the House of Stark emblem from Game of Thrones.

So their opponents should introduce "the Rains of Castamere" into the playlist?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Also- if I'm not mistaken, the NBA regards the Toronto Huskies vs. NY Knicks on Nov. 1, 1946 at Maple Leaf Gardens as it's first game. The city of Toronto has substantial basketball history and should have gone with Huskies from the start.

As rams pointed out though, the Huskies were a failure on the court as well as financially. Also, and this cannot be stated enough, any non-fantasy literature/television inspired logos would be compared to the Timberwolves. As long as the Timberwolves are around Huskies should be off the table.

Again, the Raptors draw their visual identities from the raptor species deinonychus. These raptors were agile, fast, vicious, and hunted in packs, meaning they attacked as a team. How is that not a perfect mascot for a basketball team?

Raptors is a perfectly fine name.

No, it isn't.

Huskies would be better but I'm not choked up about that name either.

What's wrong with the Raptors identity? It is a moniker/identity that is truly unique in the majors, has been around for a generation, and under which saw the team experience some success. Was the name inspired by Jurassic Park? Yes. But cashing in on a classic blockbuster isn't bad, particularly since the Raptors in Jurassic Park are as scary as hell because they are very intelligent, very fast, very lethal, and work together in groups. These aren't exactly negative traits if you are a competitive team.

Also- if I'm not mistaken, the NBA regards the Toronto Huskies vs. NY Knicks on Nov. 1, 1946 at Maple Leaf Gardens as it's first game. The city of Toronto has substantial basketball history and should have gone with Huskies from the start.

Hosting the first game of the BAA does not automatically equate to a substantial basketball history (especially since they probably played on Friday because the Leafs played on Saturday.) Prior to the Raptors, Toronto was served by a CBA team for 2 1/2 seasons (and that because Ted Stepien I guess had a lease to fill after he tried to move the Cavs there in the culmination of his mismanagement of the team.), hosted the odd Buffalo Braves game, and maybe had some other minor league teams here or there. Oh yeah, and there is also the very inglorious history of the Huskies, which you would have noticed if you had read my post.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If a Huskies logo can be designed that doesn't look like it aped the any former or current Timberwolves logo then I'd be open to it.

As for Raptors, I don't understand how people can gush over the Mighty Ducks' Disney look but can write the Raptors' name off as a lame attempt to cash in on a popular movie.

As for local tie-ins, the GTA itself doesn't have much of a fossil history, but Toronto's Royal Ontario Museum does have a substantial dinosaur fossil collection.

The Ducks situation is a little different. Disney owned the team so they were using it as a platform to market their movies, not just trying to capitalize on a fad.

As rams pointed out though, the Huskies were a failure on the court as well as financially. Also, and this cannot be stated enough, any non-fantasy literature/television inspired logos would be compared to the Timberwolves. As long as the Timberwolves are around Huskies should be off the table.

Again, the Raptors draw their visual identities from the raptor species deinonychus. These raptors were agile, fast, vicious, and hunted in packs, meaning they attacked as a team. How is that not a perfect mascot for a basketball team?

If the Suns and Heat can both exist in the same league (and Red Sox/White Sox, Cardinals/Orioles/Blue Jays, Lions/Bengals/Panthers/Jaguars, etc.) I don't see why Huskies and Timberwolves would be a problem. A unique colour scheme is all they would need to differentiate themselves. Royal blue and purple would be unique, tie them to other Toronto teams that wear blue, and maintain a small connection to the franchise's early days.

If a Huskies logo can be designed that doesn't look like it aped the any former or current Timberwolves logo then I'd be open to it.

As for Raptors, I don't understand how people can gush over the Mighty Ducks' Disney look but can write the Raptors' name off as a lame attempt to cash in on a popular movie.

As for local tie-ins, the GTA itself doesn't have much of a fossil history, but Toronto's Royal Ontario Museum does have a substantial dinosaur fossil collection.

The Ducks situation is a little different. Disney owned the team so they were using it as a platform to market their movies, not just trying to capitalize on a fad.

What Disney did with the Mighty Ducks is worse, in my opinion. It was a case of Disney using a pro team to shill their kind of ok typical 90s sports movie franchise. It was a direct tie-in. The Raptors, despite being influenced by a popular movie, had no ties to that movie or Universal, the company that made the movie. The team wasn't being used to shill for anything. They just took advantage of a popular concept that was floating around the zeitgeist at the time.

Twenty years later and Jurassic Park and its sequels have come and gone, yet the name's stayed. It's moved on by simply being a cash-in. It's the name of the team, and has been for two decades.

If the Suns and Heat can both exist in the same league (and Red Sox/White Sox, Cardinals/Orioles/Blue Jays, Lions/Bengals/Panthers/Jaguars, etc.) I don't see why Huskies and Timberwolves would be a problem.

It has less to do with the name and more to do with the logos. All the team combos you mentioned have distinct logos and colours. The Suns and Heat come the closest to being a bit too similar but their distinct colour schemes and the Suns' move away from the streaking sun logo to the sun/phoenix logo help a lot.

With the Huskies and Timberwolves it's just too close. Every Huskies concept I've seen uses a logo that either looks to much like the Timberwolves, looks like or rips off another existing "big dog" logo, or in the case of the one above, uses an emblem from a high fantasy book series/tv show. I don't see how you could make a Huskies logo/uniform set that was truly unique and different enough from the Timberwolves' to work.

A unique colour scheme is all they would need to differentiate themselves. Royal blue and purple would be unique, tie them to other Toronto teams that wear blue, and maintain a small connection to the franchise's early days.

A switch to simple blue and white is the main thing the Huskies idea has going for it, as it would tie the team in with every other Toronto sports team save TFC. There's no reason why they couldn't just go with royal blue and white and still be the Raptors though. Going with royal blue and purple would negate the biggest reason to switch to the Huskies.

Besides, I just don't think purple and royal blue would work. They're too similar. The only blue/purple scheme that can work, I think, is dark purple and powder blue. Which would have worked great for the Jazz, but wouldn't work so much for a team trying to resurrect the Huskies' brand.

Really? That's the House of Stark emblem from Game of Thrones.

Toronto Direwolves: Mediocrity is Coming

A couple of years ago the Raptors ran a series of commercials on SportsNet to get fans pumped for the upcoming NBA season. One of which featured the coach going "I think we'll so slightly better then expected." Way to instill confidence in the fanbase.

NBA just loves name changing now don't they? Its hard to be a fan of a small market team as who knows when they will move or change name in the NBA. Bobcats, Hornets, Seattle, Pealicans, possibly the Kings, and now Toronto. Its a cluster :censored:

NBA just loves name changing now don't they? Its hard to be a fan of a small market team as who knows when they will move or change name in the NBA. Bobcats, Hornets, Seattle, Pealicans, possibly the Kings, and now Toronto. Its a cluster :censored:

Seattle didn't change their name. The team left. The Thunder are a new franchise. The Kings also are not changing their name unless their arena deal falls apart and they relocate, but again, that'd be a new franchise.

I think the same problem that people have against the Raptors name falls along the same lines of those who think purple is girly sports color. It's 2013, the Raptors name is just fine now as it was back then, and is one of the most unique identities in sports.

Midway.png

Archived