toostyling

Toronto Raptors to get an overhaul? Maybe name change as well?

NBA just loves name changing now don't they? Its hard to be a fan of a small market team as who knows when they will move or change name in the NBA. Bobcats, Hornets, Seattle, Pealicans, possibly the Kings, and now Toronto. Its a cluster :censored:

The fourth-largest city in North America is a small market? :therock:

What's wrong with the Raptors identity? It is a moniker/identity that is truly unique in the majors, has been around for a generation, and under which saw the team experience some success. Was the name inspired by Jurassic Park? Yes. But cashing in on a classic blockbuster isn't bad, particularly since the Raptors in Jurassic Park are as scary as hell because they are very intelligent, very fast, very lethal, and work together in groups. These aren't exactly negative traits if you are a competitive team.

Raptors is just an awkward name. Tries to be fierce, but ends up sounding dumb and cartoony. Toronto Raptors doesn't much of a roll to it. That god-forsaken logo doesn't help (there aren't a lot of better options though). Most of the animals nicknames in the big four I could do without to be honest. As far as other parts of the identity, red/purple/black was a bizarre color scheme that looked ridiculous, and at least 3 other teams had them beat to the generic red/black they use now. The original jerseys were okay, very 90s but whatever, but the template they've been using since is just lousy.

I really don't care about the Jurassic Park angle.

NBA just loves name changing now don't they? Its hard to be a fan of a small market team as who knows when they will move or change name in the NBA. Bobcats, Hornets, Seattle, Pealicans, possibly the Kings, and now Toronto. Its a cluster :censored:

First, Toronto's not a small market, neither is Seattle. Second, the small market teams in limbo bring it on themselves by making bone-headed trades and bombing their draft every year. I don't see anyone in San Antonio, OKC, or Salt Lake City bitching about being a small market. Wonder why?

From a quality of the sport standpoint I'd love nothing more than to contract 6+ teams from the league. Don't think it's gonna happen though.

What's wrong with the Raptors identity? It is a moniker/identity that is truly unique in the majors, has been around for a generation, and under which saw the team experience some success. Was the name inspired by Jurassic Park? Yes. But cashing in on a classic blockbuster isn't bad, particularly since the Raptors in Jurassic Park are as scary as hell because they are very intelligent, very fast, very lethal, and work together in groups. These aren't exactly negative traits if you are a competitive team.

Raptors is just an awkward name. Tries to be fierce, but ends up sounding dumb and cartoony.

Most of the animals nicknames in the big four I could do without to be honest.

Well that''s an uphill battle, but I love an underdog. Best of luck sir.

As far as other parts of the identity, red/purple/black was a bizarre color scheme that looked ridiculous, and at least 3 other teams had them beat to the generic red/black they use now.

Purple/red/black worked, I think, and could still work. There's no reason for it not to. You don't like the way it looks, and that's fair, but your dislike does not equate to the colour scheme not working.

That being said I don't see why they couldn't be the Raptors and wear the Leafs' blue and white. It would be unique in the NBA if nothing else.

From a quality of the sport standpoint I'd love nothing more than to contract 6+ teams from the league. Don't think it's gonna happen though.

Agreed.

Philly is the 4th largest tv market.

Charlotte #24

New Orleans #53

Seattle # 14

Sacramento #20

First, Toronto's not a small market, neither is Seattle. Second, the small market teams in limbo bring it on themselves by making bone-headed trades and bombing their draft every year. I don't see anyone in San Antonio, OKC, or Salt Lake City bitching about being a small market. Wonder why?

You can add Denver to that list too. Haven't missed the playoffs since 2002 even though Melo was traded 2 years ago, now that's just great management.

Charlotte #24

New Orleans #53

Seattle # 14

Sacramento #20

Yes, Philly is the fourth largest tv market in the United States. Toronto, however, is the fifth largest tv market in North America.

Seattle didn't change their name. The team left. The Thunder are a new franchise. The Kings also are not changing their name unless their arena deal falls apart and they relocate, but again, that'd be a new franchise.

Umm...no, they are the same franchises in both cases.

Charlotte #24

New Orleans #53

Seattle # 14

Sacramento #20

Yes, Philly is the fourth largest tv market in the United States. Toronto, however, is the fifth largest tv market in North America.

I see your point now. Haha

Charlotte #24

New Orleans #53

Seattle # 14

Sacramento #20

EDIT: IceCap covered my point

Seattle didn't change their name. The team left. The Thunder are a new franchise. The Kings also are not changing their name unless their arena deal falls apart and they relocate, but again, that'd be a new franchise.

Umm...no, they are the same franchises in both cases.

But you can't say "Seattle changed their name." Because the team isn't IN Seattle any more. And the SuperSonics names/logos/etc will be fully restored when Seattle gets a new team. So while it may TECHNICALLY be the same franchise, they have a new name in a new city. It's not just a name change in the same way the Pelicans or Hornets is. Sorry, I didn't know how else to word it.

Wouldn't surprise me. With the exception of a couple of the Vince Carter years, the franchise has pretty much been irrelevant since it's inception. Might as well do a total re-brand and forget the Raptors ever existed.

While I think Towers is kind of a dumb name, that logo is pretty sweet. The Raptors concepts they show were all pretty awful IMO.

toronto-titans.pngPerhaps the Toronto Titans? Brutal name, but that is a pretty slick logo. Minor Hockey team.

While I think Towers is kind of a dumb name, that logo is pretty sweet. The Raptors concepts they show were all pretty awful IMO.

And I must admit, I really liked that towers logo.

Toronto Huskies FTW...an ORIGINAL NBA team, with HERITAGE.

Wait, wait, am I the only one that likes the black jersey with the middle red stripe and the double-headed raptor?

It's very Jurassic Park.

And the one that looks like Hawaii on the front, that one has a very festive feel to it, no?

Look in the upper left-hand corner......The Toronto Phoenix? LOL

TorontoPhoenix_zpsc30d3d07.jpg

Yeah, I think the Suns may have a problem with that. Good troll job, designer.

Look in the upper left-hand corner......The Toronto Phoenix? LOL

TorontoPhoenix_zpsc30d3d07.jpg

Yeah, I think the Suns may have a problem with that. Good troll job, designer.

What a matchup...the Phoenix Suns vs. the Toronto Phoenix. LOL!