New Minnesota Viking Alts... a few choices

oldschoolvikings

So, when the new Viking uniform was released, there was no alternative uniform as part of the package. For the past few years, the Vikings’ alt was the 70’s throwback… I guess they could still use it, but somehow that doesn’t seem likely to me. The new uniform seems to, in my mind, render that throwback sort of extra obsolete. (Not that the new uniform is, in any way, a “throwback”, just that all the language they’ve used to describe it make you feel that they, at least, are thinking of it as a sort of visual heir to that 70’s uniform.)

So here are a few possible choices for a new Vikings Alt and/or throwback.

First, a throwback to the mid-60’s road uniform… one of my personal all-time favorite uniforms. I’ve tried to translate it onto the modern template as is, “faults” in all. This means mismatched helmet color and weird sock stripes. This is what the Vikings had done with their 70’s alt, and I’m not a fan of the fauxback, or the modern “clean-up” (any more than you have to do to in terms of uniform styles, nameplates, NFL logos and such) in recreating a classic uniform.

VIKEalt2_zpse40c531e.png

The big issue here is that the overall look is in the same lines as their current set and you made a very good point about their intentions to pretty much cover that base with the redesign. A third uniform like this would only push the fanbase to clamor for a matching home and go full on throwbacks when the new swooshy stripes and spiked serif numbers have still not been given enough time in the waters. Once that has been accomplished and the fans buy into the new look, (and I'm certain that would be a rather lengthy amount of time) then I think it would be safe to trot out something like this. As an immediate alternate, it could put the new design in danger since I'd like to think the Minnesota region favors traditional looks.

Midway.png

OK... let's try this again...

Secondly, I’ll repost this… The uniform of the Duluth Eskimos, adapted to a modern template. There is actually a small ownership connection between the Eskimos and the Vikings… this is from the Wikipedia page, talking about the owner of the Eskimos…

“…When Haugsrud, the Eskimos then-owner did this, part of the deal gave him first rights for any future NFL team in Minnesota. When the NFL voted to expand in 1960 to the Twin Cities, Haugsrud was able to buy 10% of the Vikings" This is my excuse for claiming the Vikings could claim this as a throwback, however the NFL may disagree. Sorry for posting the same concept twice, but I wanted to have all my alt possibilities together.

ajunk22.png

Third, we’ll leave the throwbacks altogether. The Vikings have never had a gold jersey… fashion jerseys, yes, but never real ones, so I thought I’d give it a shot. Gold is, to me, a better choice than black, which is what I’m afraid of now that the black facemask has been added. I tried to stay with a gold jersey that matched the current uniform as closely as possible… no editorializing. The only weird touch that may throw some of you off is the black outlines on the numbers. I first went with plain purple, but that looked really unfinished. A white outline looked out of place with the rest of the uniform package, so I decided on black. I kinda liked the way it looked… let me know what you think.

vikealt.png

put a yellow outline on the socks and you got yourself a winner

Well, the point of that throwback was to be as accurate as possible, within the confines of the template. If I was updating that old uni as new new primary, I'd not only outline the sock stripes but make a few other changes too.

Not a fan of yellow and white (two light colors like that almost clash.) I think the purple pants would work better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I actually really like that yellow Vikings jersey, but it would go better with the purple pants IMO.

Not a fan of yellow and white (two light colors like that almost clash.) I think the purple pants would work better.

Still one of my favorite looks. Gold over white is awesome IMO.

8709386372_6f5ab799e4_o.jpg

Minneapolis did have a NFL team in the 20s. I realize they are not as well remembered or "loved" as the Duluth Eskimos but don't forget the Marines or Red Jackets

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Archived