MLB throwback/special uniform thread

ThorSkaagi

So I'm watching the Rockies and Nats play right now and it appears that Colorado is wearing their black batting practice jerseys. I'm not sure if there is some type of occasion of what but I never seen BP jerseys used in a regular season game. Just weird.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm watching the Rockies and Nats play right now and it appears that Colorado is wearing their black batting practice jerseys. I'm not sure if there is some type of occasion of what but I never seen BP jerseys used in a regular season game. Just weird.

I believe they are doing it to change things up and stop their slump.

RockiesSig.png

BP jerseys in a regular season game actually happen a couple times a year, it seems. I know the Orioles wore their orange ones for a few games before their revamp. And this year, the Astros' BP jersey also has a dual designation as a game alternate jersey.

You can actually find a few instances of teams doing it in the days before BP jerseys were part of a big marketing push, too. The Cubs wore theirs once in '94 in an attempts to break a home losing streak. The Expos once wore theirs against the Phillies on a particularly scorching day on the carpet at the Vet.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

do most MLB batting practice jerseys have names on the back? cause i just saw a little part of that game and i didn't see a NOB

It's team preference, I believe.

I believe they are doing it to change things up and stop their slump.

Well, it's working. Rockies are up 6-0 in the 7th.

BP jerseys in a regular season game actually happen a couple times a year, it seems. I know the Orioles wore their orange ones for a few games before their revamp. And this year, the Astros' BP jersey also has a dual designation as a game alternate jersey.

You can actually find a few instances of teams doing it in the days before BP jerseys were part of a big marketing push, too. The Cubs wore theirs once in '94 in an attempts to break a home losing streak. The Expos once wore theirs against the Phillies on a particularly scorching day on the carpet at the Vet.

The Phillies did it for a game in San Diego in 1992

41UODRde7PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41dpRW9WWqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I love Alts as much as the next guy (I wish the Rox would go back to their 5 jersey rotation) but... The Brewers are out of control! How many different jerseys will they have worn by the time the season is over?

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I love Alts as much as the next guy (I wish the Rox would go back to their 5 jersey rotation) but... The Brewers are out of control! How many different jerseys will they have worn by the time the season is over?

Off the top of my head there's:

-Standard Home

-Standard Road

-Blue Home Alt

-Blue Road Alt

-Gold Alt

-Throwback Alt

-1913 Throwback

-1948 Throwback

-Spanish Jersey

-Polish Jersey

-YOUniform Contest Winner

-Camo Jersey

12 jerseys! Holy :censored:! That has to be a record.

Off the top of my head there's:

-Standard Home

-Standard Road

-Blue Home Alt

-Blue Road Alt

-Gold Alt

-Throwback Alt

-1913 Throwback

-1948 Throwback

-Spanish Jersey

-Polish Jersey

-YOUniform Contest Winner

-Camo Jersey

12 jerseys! Holy :censored:! That has to be a record.

I love it. The more jerseys the better for me. I wish the Rockies did something like this. Consider the high number of hispanics in the Denver area, I'm surprised they haven't held a Hispanic heritage night and wore 'Los Rockies' jerseys or something.

Thor, NO, Just NO! lol

At this point the Rockies seem to hold their visual identity in very high regard. I honestly don't see any changes or additions for years to come.

Thor, NO, Just NO! lol

At this point the Rockies seem to hold their visual identity in very high regard. I honestly don't see any changes or additions for years to come.

Well getting rid of the black vest was a good start. I just hope they'll break out their BP jerseys more often!

Thor, NO, Just NO! lol

Well getting rid of the black vest was a good start. I just hope they'll break out their BP jerseys more often!

I would be on board with that if they got rid of the purple panels. Would make them look just like those circa 2000 solid black "ROCKIES" alts, which were beautiful.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I've always been curious why does everybody here hate the Rox black vests? Yeah it's a colored vest, it's the same color as the under shirt, almost no purple and the 3 color piping on the arm holes but... The jersey is visually pleasing and represents a great part of our history! The only thing wrong with the black vest is the frequency with which they wore it. If that jersey was used for Friday night (home or road, not both) games I would be very happy. It isn't good enough to wear 110 times a season but it's good enough to be worn 10 times.

I've always been curious why does everybody here hate the Rox black vests? Yeah it's a colored vest, it's the same color as the under shirt, almost no purple and the 3 color piping on the arm holes but... The jersey is visually pleasing and represents a great part of our history! The only thing wrong with the black vest is the frequency with which they wore it. If that jersey was used for Friday night (home or road, not both) games I would be very happy. It isn't good enough to wear 110 times a season but it's good enough to be worn 10 times.

I just dislike the color black in sports uniforms. It's overdone and lazy... especially for a team that owns purple. They hardly use it.

It wasn't awful, but my other problem with it was that it was a vest to begin with. if you're gonna wear black under a black vest, why not just make it a full jersey?

1) Many people dislike vests in general, though I am not among them.

2) Vests only work when the sleeves are darker than the vest.

3) It's silly to wear a black vest with black undershirts. They would have been much better off just having a solid black jersey.

4) Black isn't (or shouldn't be) their primary color. They shouldn't wear black jerseys of any kind.

5) Purple wasn't even the secondary color on these jerseys. The numbers were silver and purple was merely one of two outlines.

There wasn't a single redeeming thing about jerseys outside of the Rockies going on a really memorable run while wearing them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived