American Football Worldwide - Georgia added 6/5

sc49erfan15

Thanks, guys! The random country generator loves giving me Africa... on to Lesotho!

640px-LocationLesotho.svg.png

The Kingdom of Lesotho (pronounced "li-SOO-too," not "less-O-tho") is located in southern Africa. It is completely surrounded by South Africa (an enclave), one of only three such instances on an international scale - the others are San Marino and Vatican City. Modern Lesotho is a successor of the kingdom of Basutoland, united by King Moshoeshoe I in 1822. This is the reason present-day Lesotho is a separate country surrounded by South Africa - all attempts to annex Basutoland into South Africa ultimately failed, and Basutoland was governed as a British protectorate. When the Union of South Africa became independent in 1910, Basutoland was not included, and became independent on its own from Britain in 1966. Lesotho has had coups and political turmoil, but not to the extent of many other African nations. Lesotho's 2 million inhabitants enjoy relatively high levels of political and economic freedom, but rank low on the United Nations' Human Development Index at 158th of 186.

Soccer is again the most popular sport in Lesotho, but the country's national soccer team has never reached the Africa Cup of Nations or the World Cup. Lesotho is currently ranked 155th of 207 by FIFA. Lesotho has also never won a medal at the Olympics since making its debut at the 1972 Munich Games. I can't find any evidence of American football being played in Lesotho, but of course, that's not stopping me...

LesothoFootball_zpse0b554b7.png

The only uniforms I can find for Lesotho show the flag colors of green and blue, which I think works well, and only a few other countries wear green and blue together. The federation logo is a Basotho shield, and the pattern comes from a mokorotlo (the hat shown on the flag), both symbols of Lesotho. I wanted to keep black confined to just the logo on the uniforms, just as it is on the flag.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After jumping from Africa to South Asia, then back to Africa, it's back again to South Asia with Nepal!

LocationNepal.svg.png

The Democratic Republic of Nepal is located in South Asia, between India and China. Lumbini, in present-day Nepal, is widely recognized to be the birthplace of Siddhartha Gautama - better known as (Gautama) Buddha - but the majority of Nepali people today follow Hinduism, not Buddhism. Nepal is also probably best known for being the location of (half of) Mount Everest, as the Nepali-Chinese border lies at Everest's summit. 8 of the world's 10 tallest mountains lie in (or partially in) Nepal. What would eventually become Nepal today was unified as a kingdom in 1768. Nepal was never formally colonized by a European power, but did sign a treaty with Britain in 1816 that ceded a large amount of formerly-Nepali territory to Britain in exchange for Nepali autonomy. Nepal was ruled as a kingdom until 2008, when the Nepali Constituent Assembly voted overwhelmingly (564-4) to abolish the monarchy and transition to democracy. Nepal is not without its share of problems, ranking 157th of 186 on the UN's Human Development Index, signifying "low" human development.

Soccer and cricket are the most popular sports in Nepal, but Nepali national teams have not had much international success. The national soccer team has never qualified for the World Cup or Asian Cup, and are currently ranked 171st (of 208) by FIFA. Officially, Nepal has never won a medal at the Olympics, at least in the all-time medal count. However, Nepal has kind-of-sort-of won two medals - a gold in Paris 1924 for Alpinism awarded to a Nepali member of the 1922 British Mount Everest Expedition; and a bronze in Seoul 1988 for taekwondo, which was a demonstration sport. Neither are officially recognized, making Nepal the 4th-most populous nation in the world never to win an Olympic medal. American football in Nepal is a long way from being a reality, but, of course that's not the point...

NepalFootball_zpsf87f9249.png

As you can see, Nepal's flag is the only current national flag in the world that is not rectangular or square. As such, I wanted to use it prominently. The wordmark is stylized similar to the Devanagari script that the Nepali language is written in, with the horizontal line connecting all letters. English used due to its prominence in official documents and in the All Nepal Football Association's logo. The federation logo itself is a stylized illustration of Mount Everest's south peak as viewed from Nepal.

Nepal Pros:

• Use of Bengali style font in wordmark
  • Use of flag on shoulders in an appropriate and well executed fashion
  • Well balanced use of colours
  • Mountain - pretty much sums up Nepal

Nepal Cons:

• The helmet logo N seems a little forced having the flag in there. The flag is already on the shoulders, so perhaps it isn't necessary on the helmet too. Given the lack of NEPAL written large on the jersey, maybe just the N on its own would be enough.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Thanks guys. I'm using Adobe Illustrator to make the concepts.

@marble - I'll look at reworking the helmet logo. I initially tried to have the flag/N with a hidden N, but it really didn't work well. The flag fits in perfectly with the N, so I tried to play off that. I also had a version with "Nepal" in Nepali - maybe I'll post that one as well.

A break from Africa and South Asia, the first South American concept in the series... Brazil!

64406-004-704A4A71.gif

The Federative Republic of Brazil occupies 47% of the continent of South America, and is the world's fifth-largest country in both land area and population. Colonized by Portugal upon the arrival of Europeans, Brazil is the most populous country in the world that speaks Portuguese. During the African slave trade, over one-third of all African slaves were sent to Brazil - numbering anywhere from 3 to 5 million. Brazil's story of independence is a long, complicated, and fascinating one that I won't delve too deeply into here. Essentially, upon Napoleon's imminent invasion of Portugal, Dom João VI fled Portugal to Brazil with the entire Portuguese court and ruled his empire from the colony Brazil from 1808-1821. Upon Dom João's return to Portugal in 1821, he left his son, Pedro, in charge of Brazil... who, declared Brazil independent from Portugal in 1822. Since then, Brazil has been governed as a monarchy, republic, military dictatorship, and today is a federal democracy. Brazil is one of the top 10 largest and one of the fastest-growing economies in the world, and is considered to be a "middle power" and an "emerging power" with its large population (~200 million) and natural resources. However, there is a very large gap between the rich and very poor, one of Brazil's largest obstacles. Brazil ranks 85th of 186 on the UN's Human Development Index, signifying "high" human development.

Soccer is far and away the most popular sport in Brazil, and its most successful on the international stage. The Brazilian national soccer team has won the World Cup 5 times, more than any other nation, and Brazil is the only country to qualify for every World Cup ever held. However, Brazil currently ranks 22nd (of 207) in the FIFA World Ranking, their lowest position ever. Other sports such as basketball, beach volleyball, and motorsports (mainly Formula One) are also very popular. Brazil has won 2 FIBA World Cups (currently ranked 9th of 82) and has produced three Formula One champions (Emerson Fittipaldi, Nelson Piquet, and Ayrton Senna). American football is played in Brazil (under the AFAB, Brazil's American football federation), and while it is currently a niche sport, there is the possibility for it to expand and become more popular. Here is a team photo of the Brazilian national team, showing its current uniforms, but my idea for the Brazilian national American football team follows...

BrazilFootball2_zpsc4ef15f5.png

First of all, I updated the logo for AFAB (Associação de Futebol Americano do Brasil) to use as the federation logo. Ideas for the uniforms come from Brazil's current set (mainly, yellow jersey/blue pants) with some tweaks. Think "slightly-modified Seattle Seahawks" for the shoulder/sleeve striping, and it's only slightly visible at this size, but the lettering reads "ordem e progresso" (order and progress), the national motto of Brazil featured on its flag. I was a little lost at where to go with the helmet logo, but went with a simple "B" with the diamond from the flag. Thoughts?

Just found this thread now and it's great. Looking forward to seeing the rest of them and hopefully being able to review them as they come out. Kind of funny timing since my buddy is getting back from Finland today after his DIII team played their national team.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived