American Football Worldwide - Georgia added 6/5

sc49erfan15

Thanks everyone. I can see how Brazil looks a little purple from a certain angle, but it's the same shade of blue used in the flag.

Been busy this weekend with work, but onto the next concept... Greece!

9027606_orig.gif?1

The Hellenic Republic, known in English as Greece, is in southeastern Mediterranean Europe. How on Earth do you pack the history of Greece into one paragraph?!? Ancient Greece is one of the most famous and studied civilizations in history. Greece has been an empire of its own, part of the Roman Empire, and part of the Byzantine Empire throughout its history. Present-day Greece achieved independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1822, but the borders of what is "Greece" has changed significantly from the date of independence to what is Greece now, with considerable debate over what should be considered Greece. Modern-day Greece has endured the Balkan Wars, two World Wars, a Cold War-defining civil war, and the ongoing Greek government debt crisis. Despite this, Greece ranks at #29 (only slightly below the United Kingdom) on the UN's Human Development Index, signifying "very high" human development. Greece today boasts one of the 50 largest economies in the world, high standards of living, high tourism (16th-most visited country in the world) and the largest merchant marine fleet in the world.

Soccer and basketball are the two most popular sports in Greece, but many other sports also enjoy popularity. The Greek national soccer team (currently ranked #16 of 207 by FIFA) made a surprise run to win UEFA Euro 2004, and have qualified for two World Cups, in 1994 and 2010. Greece is also a strong performer in basketball, with the national league being considered one of the top 5 basketball leagues in the world. The Greek national basketball team has also had success, winning the 1987 and 2005 Eurobasket, finishing 2nd at the 2006 FIBA World Cup, and 5th at the Olympics in 1996, 2004, and 2008. The Greek basketball side is currenty ranked #4 in the world by FIBA. Greek player Nikos Galis (called the "Greek Michael Jordan") was nearly the first Greek to play in the NBA in the 1980s, but after being cut by the Celtics, chose to play in the Greek leagues because playing in the NBA would void his amateur status and make him unable to play for the Greek national team. Red Auerbach said later that not keeping Galis was the biggest mistake he ever made in his career. Greece, of course, is the birthplace of the Olympic Games, always enters the stadium first during the Parade of Nations, and has hosted the Games twice - the inaugural modern Games in 1896 and again in 2004. Greece is one of only four countries to participate at every summer Olympic Games ever held, totaling 110 total medals and 30 golds. American football is played in Greece, and there is apparently a federation, but I cannot find any information on it. But enough backstory, here's the concept!

GreeceFootball_zpsca61372f.png

The main thing is that Greece would go by "Ελλας" (Hellas), its native name, in international competitions. Take this photo for example, of the Greek national baseball team in the 2004 Olympics, or this one of the Greek basketball team. The shade of blue is different from the lighter blue used in the flag, but Greek national teams usually wear a medium royal blue, as you can see in the previous pics. The helmet logo uses the cross from the Greek flag and has 3 stripes, suggesting an "E" for "Ελλας." The 3 stripes do make it look rather adidas-y, but I'm content with the way this one turned out.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BrazilFootball2_zpsc4ef15f5.png

First of all, I updated the logo for AFAB (Associação de Futebol Americano do Brasil) to use as the federation logo. Ideas for the uniforms come from Brazil's current set (mainly, yellow jersey/blue pants) with some tweaks. Think "slightly-modified Seattle Seahawks" for the shoulder/sleeve striping, and it's only slightly visible at this size, but the lettering reads "ordem e progresso" (order and progress), the national motto of Brazil featured on its flag. I was a little lost at where to go with the helmet logo, but went with a simple "B" with the diamond from the flag. Thoughts?

As a brazilian I'd like to express my strong unlike about it. The B on helmet logo looks really too sloppy. You overdid it when placed green and blue on jersey. It's too crowded. The uniform of most national teams of Brazil are balanced with yellow and green shirt, blue pants or shorts and white or yellow socks. It was strange, does not seem to be Brazil. And failed to use one of the largest symbols of the country, which is the Southern Cross.

As a brazilian I'd like to express my strong unlike about it. The B on helmet logo looks really too sloppy. You overdid it when placed green and blue on jersey. It's too crowded. The uniform of most national teams of Brazil are balanced with yellow and green shirt, blue pants or shorts and white or yellow socks. It was strange, does not seem to be Brazil. And failed to use one of the largest symbols of the country, which is the Southern Cross.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. By "Southern Cross," do you mean the constellation or the cross used in the CBF logo?

br@cbf2.gif

I didn't use that cross on purpose due to the similarities with the football federation's logo, and I'm trying to avoid copying the football federation logo at all costs. So basically, you're saying to separate green and blue more - green or blue on the jersey, but not both; green or blue on the pants, but not both, etc?

I'm Greek and I'm not a big fan of your Greece concept. I think the fact that its way too Adidas-y is the main issue. I understand the meaning behind the stripes, but to me it just looks like a plain old Adidas jersey with some Greek words and the Greek flag on the helmet.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. By "Southern Cross," do you mean the constellation or the cross used in the CBF logo?

I didn't use that cross on purpose due to the similarities with the football federation's logo, and I'm trying to avoid copying the football federation logo at all costs. So basically, you're saying to separate green and blue more - green or blue on the jersey, but not both; green or blue on the pants, but not both, etc?

1. The constellation.

2. Yeah, 3 Colours in jersey turn the design too-too-too-too crowded for a brazilian national team

Reworked Greece... got some outside feedback, decided everything was too plain. I was hesitant to go with the "traditional Greek" font, but the basketball team has done it here so I went with it. Slight change to the helmet logo to help it read less as "IE" and more of "Greek flag with suggested E."

GreeceFootball3_zps00b7e54d.png

Also, you need blue socks on both of the Greece uniforms

No. Blue socks with blue pants would be dumb.

Definite no on the blue socks. The fact that the original showed blue socks on blue pants was a mistake on my part.

Staying in Europe (for once), moving northeast to... Belgium!

64806-004-A60BFE9C.gif

The Kingdom of Belgium is in Western Europe, between France, the Netherlands, and Germany. Belgium is along the cultural and linguistic dividing line separating Romance from Germanic Europe, and its multiculturalism is one of its defining aspects. Until 1831, there was no such thing as "Belgium" - a Roman province in the area was named "Galla Belgica" (where Belgium gets its name) but its borders were larger and different. A short-lived revolt in 1790, then a successful revolution against the United Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1830-31 established an independent Kingdom of Belgium. In both WWI and WWII, Belgium was invaded by Germany with catastrophic results. Due to its location between two of the most important cultural and linguistic communities in Europe, Belgium is home to the headquarters of both the European Union and NATO. Belgium itself is divided between the Dutch-speaking Flemish and French-speaking Walloons (with a small German-speaking minority) with multiple implications on its government - Belgium is officially trilingual (Dutch/French/German) with each language having official status in its specific region, and the capital of Brussels officially designated bilingual (Dutch/French). This setup has not been perfect, but Belgium can be viewed as a successful example of a bilingual, multicultural state. Belgium ranks very high on the UN's Human Development Index, 17th of 186, signifying "very high" human development.

The most popular sports in Belgium are soccer, cycling, and tennis, among others. Belgium has historically performed well at the Tour de France, with cyclist Eddy Merckx tied for the most wins at 5, and considered one of the greatest cyclists of all-time. In the world of soccer, Belgium is currently ranked #12 of 207 by FIFA, and finished 4th in the 1986 World Cup and 2nd in 1980 at the UEFA Euro Cup. And, at the Olympics, Belgium hosted the 1920 Games in Antwerp, and have won a total of 142 medals (37 gold) since their debut in Paris in 1900.

BelgiumFootball2_zpsa37ac7a1.png

The helmet logo is the Leo Belgicus, a popular symbol of Belgium that is also used in its coat of arms. I included "Belgium" in 3 languages (Dutch, French, and English) but did not use the full country name anywhere on the jersey due to having to choose one language over the other. To compromise that, I used "BEL" which is the IOC country code and could stand for any of the 3 official languages. I really like the colors of black, red, and yellow together, so I enjoyed making this concept.

Archived