American Football Worldwide - Georgia added 6/5

sc49erfan15

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello this is unusual. You usually post one concept every day or every other day. You haven't posted one in over five days.

The people who create things on this forum are adults, with professional obligations and other things in their lives.

Design is an ambitious activity that requires a lot of time and resources. You have the privilege of digesting this concept free of charge, so be patient.

Founder and Commissioner, World Gridiron

Back from a small hiatus, been pretty busy the last few weeks... onto Liberia!

800px-LocationLiberia.svg_.png

The Republic of Liberia is located in West Africa on the Atlantic coast, nestled between Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Côte d'Ivoire. Present-day Liberia saw early colonization by several European nations, but was eventually colonized by a group known as the American Colonization Society, whose aim was to create an independent African nation for freed American slaves. A popular idea at the time supported by many American politicians (including American president James Monroe, for whom Liberia's capital Monrovia is named), many such settlements were founded by similar organizations, with bizarre-today sounding names like "Mississippi-in-Africa" and "Maryland in Africa." The colony had reasonable success but did not attract the numbers of repatriate slaves that many anticipated, and declared independence (the goal of the colonization societies all along) in 1847 as the Republic of Liberia. Everyone lives happily ever after... right? Unfortunately not, as Liberia saw much conflict during the late 20th century, including a coup d'etat in 1980 and two civil wars, fought from 1989-1996 and 1999-2003. Today, Liberia is considered a "failed state" and ranks 174th of 186 on the United Nations' Human Development Index.

Soccer is the most popular sport in Liberia, but the national team has never made an appearance at the World Cup, nor has it ever passed the group stage of the African Cup of Nations. The national side is currently ranked 100th of 207 by FIFA, and Liberia's national basketball team is ranked tied for 82nd of 82 by FIBA. At the Olympics, Liberia has sent a total of 49 athletes since making its debut at the 1956 Melbourne Games, but has never won a medal. I can't find any evidence of American football played in Liberia. There have been 7 Liberian-born players to play in the NFL (currently only one, Chiefs OLB Tamba Hali) but all of them grew up in the United States. But, if American football was a "world sport"...

LiberiaFootball_zpsce5ccc78.png

Clearly I was at a challenge to make this concept Liberian, but avoid looking American since the flags are obviously so similar. I went in a direction that I don't think the US would go, emphasizing the one star (the Liberian soccer team is nicknamed the Lone Stars) and a wraparound helmet design. Overall, the design is a little simple other than the wraparound helmet design and oversized star on the shoulders, but I didn't want to get overly busy.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I saw the very beginning of this thread and I never realized how far it has come! Amazing job on all of these and I love the addition of the countries history and such.

Do you have an estimated time when the next country will be out so i will know to check this thread

Or you can just be patient, and wait for him to post the next country. While you're being patient, you can also check out my MLB series which you can go to by clicking the link in my sig.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Archived