See, I think those without white lines look so much better.

More professional - professionals don't need extra fussy details. They know when to stop adding.

Kinda veering off-topic with this post, but they got it right during that era and these would be classics right up there with the Yankees, Dodgers, and Tigers if they'd have just kept them permanently...

Rose-reds.jpga5b094f904494e3be1e07110bd8c855c.jpg

The Reds have been around since 18dickety6, so the simpler, the better with them.

More professional - professionals don't need extra fussy details. They know when to stop adding.

Disagree. It's not a "fussy detail," the point is to make the lettering more visible and legible. It does.

Same topic, different sport...always thought the Rams' helmet horns needed a thin white outline to be perfect. Buc did a concept a while back where he did that and it looked terrific.

that would be the worst idea ever, white outlines on a helmet decal are un-needed, and look cheap, and would look awful on the rams horns.

Well, I don't know about that. I think Japan attacking Pearl Harbor beats it hands down and Molly Ringwald passing on the lead role in Pretty Woman would be a close second at worst.

Disagree. It's not a "fussy detail," the point is to make the lettering more visible and legible. It does.

I disagree wholeheartedly. A solid color against gray is always easier to read than with a white keyline, which can obscure small details and blend them into the background.

I know that's the reasoning often given, but it doesn't work that way in practice. A white keyline, especially with a script, "rounds off" the edges, fills in whorls and makes the script harder to read.

The obscuring isn't as bad as say, when the Mets slapped black onto their script or the Dolphins shoehorned navy behind their numbers, but neither does it make them more legible.

Looking at those old Reds jerseys, nothing is easier to read than red block letters against a solid background.

Okay, I can think of one situation where white keylines can be a very good idea; on a white jersey to pull details.

This Brewers jersey would be improved by a white keyline preventing the script from blending into the piping at the "w" and "e".

brewers-1948-jerseys.jpg

Similarly, I like the white outline on the Phillies' home jerseys, which separates the red script and red pinstripes.

Philadelphia%20Phillies%20jersey.jpg

Its not even a finite rule with me... some look better with an outline, some don't. The reds in this specific example look awful without it. That said, I love the red sox curre t roadies. I think it all has to do with the use of white elsewhere in the uniform. The sox don't use white piping on their greys, so the flat look works. As did their championship era red outlined in navy.

I think that's why I think the yanks look best with the outline. Drop the white from the cuffs and you can drop the outlines.

I personally think the red sox look is awful and very cheap and drab looking, the set they had before was so much better, with red letters and a blue outline, it was so much better, grey and blue looks so cheap, like they only put on the blue bottom layer and got lazy and didn't want to put the red letters over them to complete the look from before, i also think they darkened the grey which makes it look worse.

looks so cheap? or looks like a classic uniform? We obviously disagree on the Red Sox unis, which is fine because I can totally see where you are coming from. Sometimes a more minimal look can be hard to swallow for many people. As I've said many times before in regards to their newest look: its classic, it borrows from their uniform history while adding a nice little modern day flair with the hanging sox logo, and its simple, which is what I love the most about it. There are way too many examples of overdone and cluttered baseball unis; theirs is not one of them. The distinctive lettering stands alone and needs no outline and the bright red sox logo adds enough red to the set without going overboard. Add to the fact that most of their players wear red undergarments and you've got all the red you need. Its a model uniform for the rest of the league.

I don't really feel like i'm qualified to reply as I don't know much about the Reds or their history, but the jerseys with the white outlines are much better IMO. There isn't enough contrast between the red and grey without them. They make the lettering pop really well without overtaking the design.

I don't think I've ever disagreed more on an issue on these boards that the white outline looks worse. :lol: Funny, isn't it?

It looks amateur to not add enough. Little league, even.

Professionals know when to stop adding - true - so they stopped at white, which was perfect and it's why their current black dropshadowed uniforms miss. Red and white were their colors. Why is acceptable for the A's to use a yellow outline, but not for the Reds to use white?

Also, I think red is too bright a color to use on top of gray without a buffer in between the two.

Kinda veering off-topic with this post, but they got it right during that era and these would be classics right up there with the Yankees, Dodgers, and Tigers if they'd have just kept them permanently...

Rose-reds.jpga5b094f904494e3be1e07110bd8c855c.jpg

I've always thought this. If they never changed to the pullovers these would be untouchable classics. Actually, Reds, it's not too late to right the wrongs. Go back to these, throw some white outlines on the roadies and you're a top 5 look.

I think an outline for the phillies is fine, I just would want them to base the outlines and striping for the roads based off of these.

philadelphia-phillies-celebrate-aeec382b277a4eda.jpg

From 1967-71, the Reds couldn't seem to make up their minds. Here are the five road jerseys they wore in each of those five seasons, in chronological order...

dgstylematch1.JPG

I'm not a big study of baseball history and definitely feel that white outlines are a case by case thing. That said, the second jersey here (#19, presumably the '68 road) looks so much better than any of the others and a big part of that is the white outline being on both the script and numbers.

I have a strong opinion on this one: Lose the white outlines ... in most cases. Loved when the Dodgers did it. Think the Yankees, Cubs, Tigers, etc. Would look better without. However, in Cubs' case I might consider blue/red. Phillies look the cheapest to me because of the patch effect.

The White Sox road still works for me. I'm in the camp that they should have left it alone three years ago and it's one of the league's best looking. Black on gray might not look bad... but they need the white, IMO.

As I've stated in other threads, I generally dislike white on gray unis, thinking the two should be neutrally interchangeable, home vs. road.

Also, I'm pretty old by CCSLC standards, so I must have had a Little League that was way ahead of its time, because there were white outlines to spare.

With the Red having a red hat with only white lettering, the grey road uniforms need some sort of white in them, IMO. The white outline provided that rather nicely.

The Reds went without outlines with their double-knit pullovers from 1972-1987, then added them for the last five years 1988-92. They also added a second red sleeve band and racing stripes down the pants legs. It was all unnecessary, in my opinion. The 1972-87 look was much better...

hi-res-2145891_display_image.jpg?13680725421783315_display_image.jpg?1321247026

it's night and day as to how much BETTER that uniform looks WITH the outlines.

Exactly. Why have a white and red hat, white and red stripes, but have the city name only red?

The uniform without the white outline looks cheap as hell and rec league. The white outlined uniform is much better.

The Reds went without outlines with their double-knit pullovers from 1972-1987, then added them for the last five years 1988-92. They also added a second red sleeve band and racing stripes down the pants legs. It was all unnecessary, in my opinion. The 1972-87 look was much better...

hi-res-2145891_display_image.jpg?13680725421783315_display_image.jpg?1321247026

it's night and day as to how much BETTER that uniform looks WITH the outlines.

Exactly. Why have a white and red hat, white and red stripes, but have the city name only red?

The uniform without the white outline looks cheap as hell and rec league. The white outlined uniform is much better.

Is it weird that I like the sleeve stripes on the left photo, but I like everything else better on the right photo? Anyways, Cincinnati should have both colors represented. Not just red. The outlines look better.

Also, I'm pretty old by CCSLC standards, so I must have had a Little League that was way ahead of its time, because there were white outlines to spare.

Yeah, I have to admit that I don't understand that line of thought at all. All the rec league softball uniforms I see in Prospect Park have white outlines. When I played >mumbletymumble< years ago, our jersey script had a white keyline.

I bet most softball uniforms use dark colored t-shirts which would necessitate a white outline. I don't understand the line of thought that an extra layer of twill, an extra expense could be considered bush league, but here we are.

There's a store in downtown Cincinnati called Koch's Sporting Goods. They sell their own custom made, screen-printed reproductions of the 80's Reds jerseys in both white and gray. (I'm not sure how they legally get away with this, but they're on the racks) The red lettering is printed directly onto the gray polyester with no outline and it looks like ass. It looks cheap and the red is too bright and the gray is too dark and it looks like ass. If they printed a white layer with a red layer on top of it, I would consider buying one.

Screen printing is a whole other kettle of fish. With screen printing, you often do need to separate colors from backgrounds with a keyline. The wordmark doesn't have enough substance to stand out on its own.

Tackle twill, on the other hand, has more than enough heft. No white outline is necessary to pull letters off the background.

My point was, the Reds jerseys without the white outline in photographs and video look like the s****y jerseys at the store. When they added the white outlines to the city and numbers in 1988 it brought that entire uniform together. The white tied in with the white stripes on the sleeves, collars, cap logo, belt, pants stripe, and sanitary socks. It became a complete look at that point.

and it looked fantastic last year when they wore it in Philadelphia

20120822-205549.jpg

Tackle twill has enough heft, it just looks worse (IMO of course) without the white outline.

Sure, these are all our Os. ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I think if the trim of the jersey was solid red, you'd be better off without the white outlines, but the white outlines tie in so well with the white on the rest of the jersey, so it looks like it belongs a lot more than the non-outlined words. Add to that the fact that the writing pops a lot more and it's definitely a better look IMO.