2013 FIFA Confederations Cup Thread

sportsfan0518

Well, its not the World Cup, but its a nice appetizer.

Anyway, this is a very interesting tournament we have on our hands, since all of the nations are pretty diverse. Brazil is obviously in it as the host nation, but they not be the favorites to win. The favorites to win are probably the Europeans. The current number one team in the world Spain (2010 WC winner) and Italy (2012 Euro runner-up). Then you have some solid teams in Japan (2011 Asia Cup winner) and Nigeria (2013 Cup of Nations winner). And then there is Mexico (2011 Gold Cup winner) and Urugray (2011 Copa America winner). These two teams are interesting because they have talent all around, but they are in serious danger of missing the WC in 2014. Rounding it out is Tahiti (2012 Nations Cup winner), and they'd be lucky if they scored a goal during their time in Brazil.

The better group here is definitely Group A, with Brazil, Japan, Mexico, and Italy. However, it will be interesting to see if either Uruguay or Nigeria make it to the knockout stage in Group B.

Words cannot explain how excited I am for some excellent soccer. Of course I'm still bitter about the US not being in the tournament, but the Gold Cup is behind us and we are looking to bigger and better things to come. But its only two weeks away, and I cannot wait much longer!

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely pulling for Uruguay out of group B since my first ever international soccer game I watched was a 3-0 Nigeria win over Canada. :P

And I'll make my predictions for Tahiti:

Tahiti 0:6 Spain

Tahiti 1:2 Nigeria

Tahiti 0:4 Uruguay

I'm being way to generous.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Mexico and Japan.

Everyone else is insanely annoying. Love the mini WC. Also love the 4 hours ahead, games during the evening! Going to be like WC94.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I wonder who the CBC will bring in / which channel's feed they'll use to broadcast.

If they do bring in their own announcers, it'll be a bit awkward for me. As far as I know, they don't have any British announcers and I've never watched a soccer game without one.

I wonder who the CBC will bring in / which channel's feed they'll use to broadcast.

If they do bring in their own announcers, it'll be a bit awkward for me. As far as I know, they don't have any British announcers and I've never watched a soccer game without one.

They used English commentators for World Cup.

John Helm was the lead guy, in 2010.

I just hope Mexico doesn't win, that's all.

What he said.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

But seriously, why? Can only British people commentate on soccer games?

JP Dellacamera has a play by play soccer announcer for ESPN for a long time. He is the only American play by play guy that I know of.

By the way, you've been posting a lot lately. Are you trying to get to 500 posts quickly?

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

By the way, you've been posting a lot lately. Are you trying to get to 500 posts quickly?

No, just end of year summatives are happening and I get a lot more distracted than I should be.

English guys are the only ones that can call it properly. Football shouldn't have to be called like American Football or Hockey, it's not an overly fast game. The British slow it down, and bring you in. Makes it feel more relatable, don't need to hear annoying facts all the time.

Yeah, Ian Darke is really the best in the business. ESPN has done a great job pairing him with other announcers for his World Cup work.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The UK and Ireland may have the best announcers (English speaking) but there is no reason that there can't be an American voice or style. Just like Latin countries have a completely different style of announcing.

Of course I now have contradicted myself because I'm fine with American teams borrowing naming conventions of other countries, but there is more a global style of naming vs. each region having a different style of announcing. I will admit I haven't really heard any German, Spanish (country), or Asian games to know if they have unique styles.

• 2 weeks later...

English guys are the only ones that can call it properly. Football shouldn't have to be called like American Football or Hockey, it's not an overly fast game. The British slow it down, and bring you in. Makes it feel more relatable, don't need to hear annoying facts all the time.

Which is why Gus Johnson was awful in the Champions League final. No doubt an American could do it, but they'd need to match the pace.

Also I'm rooting for Tahiti SO HARD.

Archived