Dream 30 for 30s

raysox

"The Decision" doesn't happen, I'm still a Lebron fan. I actually quite liked the Celtics' Big Three (KG, PP, RA)

If Lebron had just quietly signed with Miami (to be with his friend D-Wade), then a few days later, Chris Bosh had signed there, Bosh would have been villified for riding Lebron's coattails, not LeBron.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad Boys Era of the Pistons

Religion in sports

Integration of SEC football teams in the 1960s and 70s

Green Bay Packers: 9x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 4x Super Bowl Champions, 3x NFC Champions

Indianapolis Colts: 2x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 2x Super Bowl Champions, 3x AFC Champions

Michigan Wolverines football: 11x National Champions, 8x Rose Bowl Champions, 3x Citrus/Capital One Bowl Champions

Detroit Tigers: 4x World Series Champions, 11x AL Pennant Winners

Detroit Pistons: 3x NBA Champions, 5x Eastern Conference Champions

The 1993 Phillies.

- Miracle season out of nowhere.

- The team's weirdness and the characters: Daulton, Dykstra, Danny Jackson, Schilling, Mitch Williams, Eisenrich and his tourette's, Larry Anderson

- That most of them were on steroids

- Joe F'N Carter

- What happened to Mitch Williams in the years after Joe F'N Carter (I know what he's doing now)

- The downfall of Dystra, the Daulton weirdness in recent years

- The Braves/Giants race in the NL West and how that probably wore out the Braves in the NLCS

- 15-14 Game 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The 1899 Sewanee Tigers football team.

They're probably the greatest champions you've never heard of. Back in 1899, Sewanee won the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association title (forerunner to both the SEC/ACC) in convincing fashion, riding to a perfect 12-0 and outscoring their opponents by a collective score of 322-10. They also played 5 road games in just 6 days.

So they beat a bunch of nobody hillbilly teams in the south? Not quite. Here's their 1899 schedule - remember, these were all shutouts save for one game.

Georgia

Georgia Tech

Tennessee

Southwestern Presbyterian

Texas

Texas A&M

Tulane

LSU

Ole Miss

Cumberland

Auburn (only non-shutout game of the year, 11-10 win)

North Carolina

And that scrappy Auburn team, the only one to put points on the board against Sewanee? They were coached by some dude named John Heisman.

http://en.wikipedia....s_football_team

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

That sounds pretty cool, but given its age I think that would open up a forerunner to another dream documentary I'd love to see... a Ken Burns documentary on College Football a la "Baseball."

He's come close before.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Worst Officiated Game ever: 2002 Game 6 Kings @ Lakers.

Unless the ESPN/ABC/NBA deal falls through, they're not touching that subject. They wouldn't even broadcast those summer league games during the lockout because of their relationship with the NBA. It's a shame, too. NBA conspiracy theories are fun.

--Foul Play. Game 6 of the 2002 NBA Western Conference Finals. Details the Kings, Lakers, and the business of the NBA to set the stage for Game 6. Details the calls that eventually altered the game's outcome.

There is this piece on YouTube called the Greatest Tragedy in Sports, and it documents the whole 2002 Western Conference Finals beautifully and really proves how the series was fixed by David Stern. A 30 for 30 would be great though.

I'd love to see one about the 2006 NBA Finals and how Dwayne Wade and Shaq got every single call. Mark Cuban and Dirk Nowitzki are still hurt by that series, even though they won in 2011. But like alxy8s said, ESPN would never touch that since ABC carries the Finals, and they were the broadcasters of it.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Yeah, the early days of college football would be a cool Ken Burns piece. Back when Yale won titles and Nebraska was called The Bugeaters.

And there was no Boise State.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

If Lebron had just quietly signed with Miami (to be with his friend D-Wade), then a few days later, Chris Bosh had signed there, Bosh would have been villified for riding Lebron's coattails, not LeBron.

Here's my personal NBA "conspiracy theory":

I don't think "The Decision" was LeBron's deal. I think it was Wade's. I've watched a lot of Wade over the last few years (Heat fan since the Zo days), and his demeanor has changed. He's gotten more arrogant and entitled, all while basically sitting back and letting LeBron do all the work for the most part. LeBron, while he's got his issues, doesn't strike me as smart enough to mastermind "The Decision." The pieces just fit so much better with Wade as the ringleader. Wade, coming off injury-plagued seasons, wants to recapture his former glory without doing the work. LeBron, crushed from the weight of the expectations surrounding him, just wants to get the hell out of Cleveland and find somewhere where he doesn't have to be THE guy all of the time. Bosh is just along for the ride. And that welcome party was just the end result of a crap-ton of stupidity.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Fun Fact: that "welcome party" was always going to happen whether LeBron and Bosh signed in Miami or not. It was originally supposed to be for the fans to welcome Wade back to Miami. The Heat had also thrown a similar rally when Shaq got traded there. It's pretty amusing that people still use that as a reason to hate the Heat.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

My homer pick:

The 2010 Rangers

The team's financial issues with Tom Hicks losing control to MLB, MLB deliberately putting the team into bankruptcy to try to facilitate the deal, the judge ordering an auction, and the auction day, all while the team I wouldn't say "came out of nowhere", but this team that couldn't afford to add any payroll finding unique ways to acquire talent and get the other teams to pay for it and winning the AL Pennant.

Yeah, the early days of college football would be a cool Ken Burns piece. Back when Yale won titles and Nebraska was called The Bugeaters.

And Michigan's point a minute offenses!

Green Bay Packers: 9x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 4x Super Bowl Champions, 3x NFC Champions

Indianapolis Colts: 2x Pre-Super Bowl Era NFL Champions, 2x Super Bowl Champions, 3x AFC Champions

Michigan Wolverines football: 11x National Champions, 8x Rose Bowl Champions, 3x Citrus/Capital One Bowl Champions

And Michigan's point a minute offenses!

Followed by their quitting of the Big Ten because they disagreed with some of the reforms of the mid-1900s.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

When the Cavs front office wouldn't give up JJ Hickson in a deal for Amare', I really can't blame LeBron for leaving.

That's not true. It was Amar'e that squashed the deal. He didn't want to play next to Shaq again because he was entering a contract year and didn't want his production to fall. Also rumors of Lebron leaving the Cavs began when he first got there. He would never commit to staying with the Cavs even when he was on his rookie contract. He would always flirt with the New York media. In 2005 when the Cavs front office offered Micheal Redd and Ray Allen huge contracts they refused because Lebron was already flirting with the Knicks and there was no reassurance that he would be there for more than 2 years. He was doing the same thing even after resigning with the Cavs in 2007. The only way the Cavs could aquire players was through trades and the front office made dozens of trades after 2007 and the front office and ownership was willing to take on extremely overpaid contracts to improve the team.

Here's my personal NBA "conspiracy theory":

I don't think "The Decision" was LeBron's deal. I think it was Wade's. I've watched a lot of Wade over the last few years (Heat fan since the Zo days), and his demeanor has changed. He's gotten more arrogant and entitled, all while basically sitting back and letting LeBron do all the work for the most part. LeBron, while he's got his issues, doesn't strike me as smart enough to mastermind "The Decision." The pieces just fit so much better with Wade as the ringleader. Wade, coming off injury-plagued seasons, wants to recapture his former glory without doing the work. LeBron, crushed from the weight of the expectations surrounding him, just wants to get the hell out of Cleveland and find somewhere where he doesn't have to be THE guy all of the time. Bosh is just along for the ride. And that welcome party was just the end result of a crap-ton of stupidity.

Dan LeBatard gives voice to this line of thought whenever The Decision comes up. He argues that Pat Riley and Dwyane Wade saw the writing on the wall and knew that LeBron was going to be the dominant player in the league for years to come. They thought it would be near-impossible to beat him, so they went after him in free agency.

I disagree with you about LeBron not being "smart enough" to have come up with the plan. He seems to think about his legacy and place in basketball lore more than any other player, perhaps aside from Kobe. His signing with Miami and his next free agency decision was and will be extraordinarily calculated.

Either way, I'd love to see a 30-for-30 on The Decision. I hope there's more of a back story than Wade, Bosh, and James laughing about how fun it'd be to play together during the 2008 Olympics and having it work out that way 2 years later without even a touch of collusion.

PJU85JF.png

^ I agree completely. Also, nice updated sig.

What If? - This episode gather some of sports' most intriguing hypotheticals and expounds upon them, with commentary and conjecture from the players, writers, coaches, and personnel of the teams involved.

Starter topics include (but aren't limited to):

What if Len Bias lived?

What if John Elway signed with the Yankees?

What if Drew Bledsoe hadn't got injured?

What if Jordan didn't retire in '93?

What if LeBron stayed in Cleveland?

What if Charlotte never traded Kobe?

A few more:

1. What if the Oilers lost in Week 2 of the 1982 season, and went 0-9 (Elway to Oilers, Marino to Colts)?

2. What if Sabonis wasn't hurt in the early-90's, and didn't have to deal with the Russian government, enabling him to play in Portland five to six years earlier?

3. What if the Bulls won the toss in 79, and got Magic?

What if Don Majkowski hadn't gotten injured?

Archived