Dream 30 for 30s

raysox

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dream episodes:

-Last Team Standing: The 1943 Pitt/Phil. Steagles merger, and their climb to a winning record. (Adapted from the book of the same title)

-Bulletproof: The rise of violent fan/athlete exchanges (Marcus Smart, Pacers/Pistons 2004, LaGarrette Blount vs.Boise St fans, Peter McNab beats Rangers fan with shoe) could analyze the false sense of security of fans in seats/ lack of accountablity.

-Turnpike War: Dissecting the Giants-Eagles rivalry.

-The Investigation: The days leading up to, and aftermath of the Mitchell Report, and the players listed

-Old Firm: The rivalry between Celtic F.C. and Rangers F.C. and the driving forces behind it: religion, politics and social ideology.

-Rebranded: Examines the various changes in uniforms/logos that preceded a rise in team performance (i.e. Denver Broncos (twice), Buccaneers, Oregon Football, Dallas Mavericks, Tampa Bay Rays, etc.)

-The Game Nobody Watched: The story of the XFL and the many factors that led to its demise

Founder and Commissioner, World Gridiron

• 1 month later...

I'd like these

Big Three - The rise and fall of the Miami Heat

Still Mighty - The lifeline of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and their fan reception

07/09 - Aftermath of the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl air disaster and its impact on the hockey world

The Citizens - The buildup of Manchester City from 2008 after being purchased by the Abu Dhabi United Group

Miracle on Istanbul - 2005 Champions League final

VFL/AFL related:

Boys from old Fitzroy: would be about the Fitzroy Lions (mainly about the 1996 season and the merger)

The Rise of the AFL: about how the VFL became the AFL and the national competition it is today.

And then there were...: about the possible 1996 AFL mergers between North Melbourne/Fitzroy and Melbourne/Hawthorn

a personal one since i gave money to help save:

Keep North South: North Melbourne possible move to the Gold Coast.

would also have this:

After Bali: About Jason McCartney and his comeback game.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Real

Under Review: A history of instant replay in sports

Catfished: Manti Te'o and his fake girlfriend.

Sterling: The Fall of Donald Sterling.

Disco Was Demolished: The story of the infamous Disco demolition night.

And The Crowd Goes Wild: How fans can interfere and affect the game.

Selfish.

Allen for 3: A story of the Miami Heat dynasty

Gritz Blitz: A story of one of the NFL's greatest Defenses. The Atlanta Falcons' Gritz Blitz

Throw the Bones: The Blackshirt history of Husker defense.

I Believe: A history of the USMNT

On Top Of The World: The time I scored 6 consecutive points in a middle school basketball game. (Hey, A Man can dream, right)?

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Here's another one I'd like to see:

The Russian Rocket: The story of Pavel Bure's career and the legend that could've been. I know he's a Hall of Famer and he had his number retired by the Canucks, but I think that we'd be talking about him as at least one of the top 10 players of all time had he not accumulated so many injuries and didn't have his career cut rather short.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Soviet Invasion - This has been touched on in documentaries like "The Other Dream Team", but I would love to hear more about Russian/Soviet athletes' experiences coming to America, either to defect or as Soviet citizens in the US for an international tournament. The disparity between US and Soviet quality of life, even for the celebrity Soviet athletes, is just something so hard to believe. There was a Lithuanian basketball player in "The Other Dream Team" who, when in the US to compete, thought it was a trick to see a whole supermarket full of whatever kind of food you wanted. My friend (not a famous athlete) went to the store in Communist Poland one time to find only vinegar on the shelves. These famous athletes were stocking up on computers and Walkmans in the US to turn around for a little extra cash back home. Soviet defection is something interesting by itself-- it's obviously not something they want you doing! It sounds like a spy novel. Here's an excerpt from a story about Alexander Mogilny's defection: "For that to happen, a simple plan was hatched: Luce and Meehan were to hop on a plane to Sweden, where they would essentially abduct the talented Russian forward and bring him back to America. However, there were many issues the foursome overcame along the way to avoid being caught. Firstly, they were forced to drive along the Swedish countryside for days as not to compromise their local. This became more important once one of Mogilny's calls to his parents was cut off mid-sentence by the Soviet government. Only when they truly needed sleep did they check in at various hotels under different aliases."

Violet Whites & Red Bulls- About the purchase of SV Austria Salzburg (an Austrian soccer team) by Red Bull, who changed the name to Red Bull Salzburg, changed the crest to feature Red Bull's logo, changed the main color from traditional violet and white to Red Bull's red and white and claimed the team had no past or history. The supporters split into two: the majority who stayed with the club because Red Bull turned them into champions of Austria almost every year, and the ones who gave up supporting the team they have their whole lives to form a new team way down in the ranks just so they could have the name, crest, and colors back and to resist the increasing consumerism and destruction of tradition in soccer.

All that matters is love, love, your love...

The Interception Will Be Televised

The behind the scenes drama of how Fox replaced CBS as the home of the NFC, the defection of the New World stations to the network and Fox Sports' early days.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Malice: A retelling of the events that led up to the Malice at the Palace and the effects it had on the people involved and the brawl's larger significance (i.e. what it did to the public perception of the league and the trajectories of the Pistons and Pacers after the event).

• 3 months later...

If you don't mind the three and a half month bump, I thought of a good 30 for 30 Short idea

Casey Atwood was supposed to be the next huge thing in NASCAR in 2001. The 2001 rookie class produced two champions- neither of which Atwood was even running full-time in the Sprint Cup Series at the time they were won. And then the next year Jimmie Johnson came on the scene and became the "next Jeff Gordon" Atwood never became. So I guess after exploring all that, the story can talk about what he's been up to now and how he feels about his life and whatnot, similar to other Shorts.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Malice: A retelling of the events that led up to the Malice at the Palace and the effects it had on the people involved and the brawl's larger significance (i.e. what it did to the public perception of the league and the trajectories of the Pistons and Pacers after the event).

Yes, but I think it's still too soon for that.

sig.png

Some other 30 for 30 ideas:

A Bluegrass Dream - Story about the origins of the Battle of the Bluegrass (Rupp refusing to play the Cards) leading up to the 1983 Elite 8 game ("The Dream Game") and beyond. It should also talk about the impact of that game had on college basketball.

Program Builder - About Howard Schnellenberger and how he saved the Miami (turned them into a powerhouse) and Louisville football programs, and built FAU from the ground up.

UCan - UConn's cinderella run to the national title last year.

A Wild Ride - Talking about the BCS era with ups (2006 Rose Bowl, 2007 Fiesta Bowl) and downs (1998 K-State, 2011 BCS NCG)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one I'd like to see

DK57- The story 2002 St. Louis Cardinals. The '02 Cardinals won 97 games, the NL Central, and advanced to the NLCS. The Cards also played through a season where one of their team leaders, Darryl Kile, unexpectedly died during a road trip in Chicago only 4 days after longtime radio voice Jack Buck passed away. Pitcher Matt Morris was the only Cardinal selected to the 2002 All-Star Game and refused to play as a tribute to Kile. A few moments stick out to me from this event. Joe Girardi's announcement to fans at Wrigley Field that the game had been postponed, Matt Morris's hand gesture during roster presentations at the ASG, and catcher Mike Matheny's moment in the dugout with Kile's jersey.

01.jpg

E86qFhXc.jpg

4fdc05f48d241.preview-620.jpg

Archived