Defunct College Teams

illwauk

I think this will continue to be a trend. With all of the pressure from online universities (which obviously have no sports budget at all) more traditional schools, especially at D2 and D3 are going to have a hard time justifying the cost of athletics, especially football. I expect to see more schools in the future that look like Spellman or like European universities, no NCAA athletics, only club or intramural sports activities. It is just too expensive to offer NCAA sports outside of division 1. Schools at the other levels will just have to convince athletes that there are plenty of opportunities off campus for them to stay engaged in their sports and that the college experience does not need to include a subsidized intercollegiate sports program.

I think this will continue to be a trend. With all of the pressure from online universities (which obviously have no sports budget at all) more traditional schools, especially at D2 and D3 are going to have a hard time justifying the cost of athletics, especially football. I expect to see more schools in the future that look like Spellman or like European universities, no NCAA athletics, only club or intramural sports activities. It is just too expensive to offer NCAA sports outside of division 1. Schools at the other levels will just have to convince athletes that there are plenty of opportunities off campus for them to stay engaged in their sports and that the college experience does not need to include a subsidized intercollegiate sports program.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a good start would be to drop the idiotic rule that forces a schools to compete in the same conference, at the same division for every single sport. Why should schools like Creighton and Saint Louis be forced to send their volleyball* teams all the way to the east coast just because their basketball teams necessitate them being members of the Big East and A-10? And why should a school like mine be deprived of football simply because we don't have the funds to bring it back at the D1 level?

*Not sure if either of those schools actually play volleyball, just making a point.

I know part of the "same division" rule has to do with competitive balance. My alma mater, Dayton, used to play D3 football until 1993. The smaller D3 schools felt it wasn't fair to have Dayton recruiting with D1 facilities to play D3, so they along with others got kicked out and now play in the Pioneer Football League (1AA/FCS). Outside of the football stadium itself, which is owned by Dayton Public Schools, all the athletic facilities are of reasonable D1 quality. The football locker room is actually attached to the arena, but all the lockers, etc., are on wheels so when Dayton hosts NCAA games in the football off season the lockers are removed and the room becomes a press area.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

It's good to compile these things while we still can. I never realized how hard it is to find some of these images of defunct college teams until I tried to find pics from Kent State's NCAA hockey team. They're just not out there. Plenty of ACHA pics, but nothing of the NCAA team.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

365px-Stan_cockerton.jpg

NC State varsity lacrosse

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

In doing a quick GIS, I wasn't able to find a better pic for UT-Arlington's defunct football program.

mqdefault.jpg

I don't know if it's a BAD thing or a GOOD thing for UTA not to have football anymore.

On the one hand, it could be good for UTA because they're now part of the FBS and they could play games in nearby Cowboys Stadium.

On the other hand... they have to compete with TCU (who pretty much owns DFW in college football right now), SMU (which is still getting better), and UNT for attention. They could easily get lost.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

No pictures, but UMass-Lowell dropped football after 2002-03. Budget cuts and poor teams made the decision easy.

UML played one season at LeLacheur Park, home of the Lowell Spinners, before moving to a renovated stadium on campus. The team played at the new stadium for one year before folding.

Doubtful if they bring football back with the school's jump to Division I in 2013-14. The new field barely held 1,000. The older field they used to play at can seat about 12,000, after renovations partially paid for by the Boston Cannons of Major League Lacrosse.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think a good start would be to drop the idiotic rule that forces a schools to compete in the same conference, at the same division for every single sport. Why should schools like Creighton and Saint Louis be forced to send their volleyball* teams all the way to the east coast just because their basketball teams necessitate them being members of the Big East and A-10? And why should a school like mine be deprived of football simply because we don't have the funds to bring it back at the D1 level?

*Not sure if either of those schools actually play volleyball, just making a point.

Because Georgetown will park their football team in Division 3 faster than you can say Hoya Suxa. As for why Creighton and Saint Louis need to play their other teams in the Big East and A-10 1) The TV deals need games with them for content purposes,. 2) Their old Conference mates aren't exactly inclined to give them a helping hand on the scheduling front.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Morgan State Lacrosse, affectionately known as "Ten Bears" the first HBCU to field a lacrosse team.

Title XI and lack of school support killed the program.

Quick Note: As of this upcoming season, I will be playing lacrosse at UDC (University of the District of Columbia) and we will be the first men's varsity HBCU lacrosse team since Morgan State.

Ten_Bears_2sized_zps709e7eae.jpg

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Boston College Lacrosse (dropped in 2002)

lacrosse2_zps673ce8a5.jpg

64537487_zpsddb6e33c.jpg

Georgia Tech Lacrosse (dropped circa 1927)

1927_writeup_zps4a0caa70.jpg

Bowling Green State Lacrosse (dropped in 1979)

From-lacrosse-to-financial-arena_zps6573e415.jpg

usl_bowling_green_lax2_zpsfc1beb7c.jpg

Butler Lacrosse (dropped in 2007)

878925_zps70a0034a.jpg

UCONN Lacrosse (dropped in 1983)

00725172_zps566723f5.jpg

Presbyterian College Lacrosse (dropped in 2010)

3397814132_2ca6bb15ef_zps9c7fa69e.jpg

I couldn't find photos for; New Hampshire (1998), Radford (2001), Michigan State (1995), and William & Mary (1982).

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Title IX. Probably any that get listed here are that if they are men's sports.

Except Vermont Football:

http://corey42080.bl...all_28.html?m=1

Were they the Catamounts back then too? Is that what the helmet logo is?

Looks that way, I don't know much about them other than my uncle always saying "undefeated since 74!"

That's actually my blog that someone linked up. I went through the archives and scanned those pictures. Vermont actually got football back a few years ago, but only as a club sport. They have various helmet logos including a "V" and a "V" with a catamount in it.

Here are all the Vermont Football pics.

Part 1 - http://corey42080.blogspot.com/2012/07/old-university-of-vermont-football.html

Part 2 - http://corey42080.blogspot.com/2012/07/old-university-of-vermont-football_28.html

Part 3 - http://corey42080.blogspot.com/2012/07/old-university-of-vermont-football_29.html

Part 4 - http://corey42080.blogspot.com/2012/08/old-university-of-vermont-football.html

Northern Arizona varsity hockey

65.B.2.1_2_large.jpg

Illinois-Chicago hockey

l.jpg

I'm having trouble finding pics but United States International University in San Diego had a varsity hockey program back in the 80s.

There are tons of former hockey programs out there, I'm just too lazy to post them all right now.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived