Defunct College Teams

illwauk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In doing a quick GIS, I wasn't able to find a better pic for UT-Arlington's defunct football program.

mqdefault.jpg

I don't know if it's a BAD thing or a GOOD thing for UTA not to have football anymore.

On the one hand, it could be good for UTA because they're now part of the FBS and they could play games in nearby Cowboys Stadium.

On the other hand... they have to compete with TCU (who pretty much owns DFW in college football right now), SMU (which is still getting better), and UNT for attention. They could easily get lost.

UT-Arlington will always feel like Arlington Commuter College, putting football back won't help that. I think it's better that they are putting money into their Baseball and Basketball programs since they actually have a chance to do well in those areas. The next step is to drop "Texas" and go with University of Arlington or Arlington University.

But aren't they part of the UT system, though?

Not saying that they can't drop "Texas" out of the name, but I don't usually see it. There were even talks my my school (Prairie View A&M) changing their name to Texas A&M - PV.

They are, but the school is moving in a direction to where I feel that they are going to make a change sooner or later. Everything is now "Arlington Mavericks" and they are doing everything they can to get away from the community college feel and the perception (and rather correct perception) that the University is just a tool to get to Austin.

It's important to note that UT-Arlington was once part of the Texas A&M system. If I remember it correctly, there was a point early in the 1900's where the question of having the flagship school was raised between Arlington and Bryan. In the mid 60's, Arlington State College caught wind that College Station wanted to change the name of the University to "Texas A&M University at Arlington." That enraged the staff in North Texas, and Governor Connolly helped the legislature move a bill that would move ASC to UT control. By the 70's, ASC couldn't go back and the name switched to UT-Arlington. Had they stayed with Aggieland, nothing might have come of it since Tarleton State has opposed any movement to be called Texas A&M University at Stephenville.

Are they really calling themselves "Arlington Mavericks" now? I had no idea, and I follow UTA pretty closely.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

In doing a quick GIS, I wasn't able to find a better pic for UT-Arlington's defunct football program.

mqdefault.jpg

It is danged near impossible to find photos of UTA Mavericks football. Even that one above isn't from their NCAA years; it's from when they had club football a few years back.

There a couple of Maverick players pictured at http://www.lbjsports.org , from their NCAA years. I tried to embed the jpgs, but I get an error message telling me i can't use that extension here. I can't even hyperlink directly to the images.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

Northern Arizona varsity hockey

65.B.2.1_2_large.jpg

Illinois-Chicago hockey

l.jpg

I'm having trouble finding pics but United States International University in San Diego had a varsity hockey program back in the 80s.

The University of North Dakota won the 1986-1987 NCAA D1 hockey title. The "Hrkac Circus" is still considered one of the greatest college hockey teams of all time. Their record of 40-8 was outstanding. One of the 8 losses was to US International of San Diego.

CentralMissouri-NebraskaOmaha-03-MBishop

Univ. of Nebraska-Omaha football

It's sad to see one of the greatest and most traditional sports programs in D-II football history like those of Nebraska-Omaha. Several conference titles in the defunct D-II North Central Conference (1983–1984, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2004–2007), where also ALL 4 Dakota schools played at one time as well; as well as UNO wrestling with several national titles (991, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2011, its final season). To me, that was not a smart move to drop these sports while moving to D-I and the Summit League. For football, the Mavs would play in the MVFC, while for wrestling, they would be D-I Independents.

Ah the Pioneers. I grew up in Hayward. I remember the rash of California schools dropping their football programs: Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton, Pacific, Cal State Northridge, Saint Mary's, Cal State Hayward, Chico State and San Francisco State.

Many Cal schools had dropped football until the mid-90's such as those you mention, which led the Big West (of D-I) and the CCAA (of D-II) to drop that sport. UC-Santa Barbara also at one point had football, until it was defunct in the late 80's or early 90's:

Weitzenberg-Broadhead_t479.jpg?6626f76dc

Only Humboldt St (a CCAA member) is the only D-II and non-FBS Cal school to sponsor that sport (currently playing as an affiliate of the GNAC, which ironically was a former full member of that said conference); while Cal Poly, UC-Davis & San Diego are the only D-I schools to sponsor football in the FCS level (the last one in the PFL, non-scholarship).

And although I couldn't find any pics as proof yet, but UALR also once sponsored football (back then as Little Rock Junior College), where they had prime of success in the junior college level.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

DII Sonoma State Formerly the "Cossacks"

larry-allen-1994-certified-autograph-car

The helmet is terrible. not only does it not match the rest of the uniform, but they use a stolen OSU logo.

No argument that the stolen logo is terrible, but the uniform doesn't match because he is wearing the one here for the "West Shrine" team (see above his number). Somoma State's colours are navy blue and light (Columbia) blue.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Only Humboldt St (a CCAA member) is the only D-II and non-FBS Cal school to sponsor that sport (currently playing as an affiliate of the GNAC, which ironically was a former full member of that said conference); while Cal Poly, UC-Davis & San Diego are the only D-I schools to sponsor football in the FCS level (the last one in the PFL, non-scholarship).

CSU-Sacremento wants to have a word with you ;)

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

CSU-Sacremento wants to have a word with you ;)

Oops! My bad. I almost forgot about them. I thought Sacramento State are in issues of having its football program to be endangeredly extinct. But thanks for sharing it.

On the other hand, Morris Brown College and Northeastern Illinois University at one point sponsored an athletic program until the became defunct in 2003 and 1997 respectively.

A sample of Morris Brown football (1940's), back in the their times at the NAIA now D-II SIAA:

_C007749.jpg

A sample of Northeastern Illinois baseball (1990's), back in the their times at the Summit League:

220px-NEIU_Jersey_32.jpg

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

No pictures, but UMass-Lowell dropped football after 2002-03. Budget cuts and poor teams made the decision easy.

UML played one season at LeLacheur Park, home of the Lowell Spinners, before moving to a renovated stadium on campus. The team played at the new stadium for one year before folding.

Doubtful if they bring football back with the school's jump to Division I in 2013-14. The new field barely held 1,000. The older field they used to play at can seat about 12,000, after renovations partially paid for by the Boston Cannons of Major League Lacrosse.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=12&image_path=/images/2012/4/20/66280002.JPG

That's a picture of UML Hall Of Famer Tom Bradley. He played WR/PR from '89-'93. That's the only football picture that's out there that I could find.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

X marks the spot for concussions :P

Here's another one where it was difficult finding any action shots of uniforms because of St. Louis University High School (I like to call them "Sluh"), but I love this helmet for SLU football:

blog_helmets_slu.jpg

I'm not sure that's an authentic SLU helmet. The school stopped playing football as a varsity sport in 1949. There was a club football team at SLU for a while, but I believe it lasted only until 72 or 73. I'd be interested to know where this picture was taken.

Archived